HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 4:34 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Or perhaps this...I should really stop now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris550 View Post
LOL, typical Sun article. Totally sensationalizing and misleading title.

Damnit, where is the Minister of Misinformation when you need him?

"Oscar is the best development in Calgary, bar none!"

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 4:44 PM
Majestic

Or rather...

"There is no sprawl in Calgary"

(Josh once did this joke with my avatar's head so I felt I wanted to redo it properly )

Flickr

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 5:04 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris550 View Post
Or rather...

"There is no sprawl in Calgary"

(Josh once did this joke with my avatar's head so I felt I wanted to redo it properly )
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 5:09 PM
Reach for the heavens

This thread is where all the good humor is!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 5:18 PM
Sand kicking airport guy.

I do believe that with the growth this province is seeing it will soon be a problem for Ed aswell as the the housing starts are a little higher than Calgarys at the moment but that will soon be ''not enough'' as forcasted.This is the boom showing its ugly side...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
bronco is a lazy bum and acts like a child. Any time there is a problem or a negative review of something related to this city he blames it on the province.
Not to dissagree with the fact both Calgary and Edmonton need more money, but Bronco is definitely getting annoying.

Quote:
There are too many Calgarians and the quality of life in the city is suffering, says a survey released today.

And those poll results can be blamed on a lack of funding from the province, says the city's mayor.

Dave Bronconnier said yesterday that traffic tie-ups, lack of schools, rising unemployment and a shortage of housing are the reason the Canada West Foundation reports the majority of Calgarians say there are too many citizens, and many think the quality of life has deteriorated in the last five years.
So basically, because if the province had provided more funding for roads, schools, etc, there would be less people in the city of Calgary and everyone would be happy? lol

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:30 AM
The Republic of Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuber View Post
Not to dissagree with the fact both Calgary and Edmonton need more money, but Bronco is definitely getting annoying.

So basically, because if the province had provided more funding for roads, schools, etc, there would be less people in the city of Calgary and everyone would be happy? lol

Squeaky wheel get's the grease. I don't hear Mandel piping up much these days.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 4:43 PM

I'm not comparing the mayors or saying Mandel is any better am I?

I am from Calgary and I still think he is getting annoying. Plus him saying that the reason there are too many people in Calgary is because he isn't getting enough money from the province is just so stupid it is funny.

That was the reason for my post. Not everything is Edmonton vs Calgary like so many people here think...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:09 PM

maybe bronco is trying to discredit/destroy the provincial tories so that he can join the provincial liberals, become leader, and subsequently the premiere of alberta.

maybe it's all part of some big plan.

i'll ask him next time i see him buying frozen orange juice at sobeys.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:29 PM

I actually think he would make a good premiere for Quebec. Always complaining about fiscal imbalance and whatnot. lol

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 7:41 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
maybe bronco is trying to discredit/destroy the provincial tories so that he can join the provincial liberals, become leader, and subsequently the premiere of alberta.

maybe it's all part of some big plan.

i'll ask him next time i see him buying frozen orange juice at sobeys.
You so know that is his plan...the Libs are leaderless...

...and I too am annoyed when this turns into an Edmonchuck vs Cowgarry battle...both cities need the infrastructure, but to expect it to be dolled out no strings attached is just stupid.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 4:58 PM
samsonyuen

I definitely feel that way sometimes, usually when I'm driving on a highway or waiting for a bus that ends up being full.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
too many people in calgary...HA

in most euro/asian cities you would have 5-10x the densities.

But i do agree with the lack of infrastructure argument.

Honestly...Canada/North America is really falling behind the rest of the developed world generally speaking with regards to public transit and the such.

New cities in China have far better systems...cities you think are ghetto and poor.
As one who's lived in China...they actually ARE ghetto and poor, they just hide it behind really tall buildings. The new China isn't for everyone apparently. The rich get richer at the expense of the poor. The lawlessness and dishonesty of business and government and day to day life in China is quite difficult to comprehend even when you experience it first hand. Bribery is a way of life. I'm not being racist, I made wonderful friends there. But they were not all rich people either

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 5:36 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarapoto View Post
As one who's lived in China...they actually ARE ghetto and poor, they just hide it behind really tall buildings. The new China isn't for everyone apparently. The rich get richer at the expense of the poor. The lawlessness and dishonesty of business and government and day to day life in China is quite difficult to comprehend even when you experience it first hand. Bribery is a way of life. I'm not being racist, I made wonderful friends there. But they were not all rich people either
There are SLUMS, not GHETTOES. Slums are concentrations of poverty; a "ghetto" is an ethnic enclave that may or may not be impoverished. Unless these areas comprise people of one ethnicity (a Tibetan ghetto? a Hainanese ghetto?) then it's a slum.

It's time to stop using "ghetto" for any poor area. It's more sinister than just segregated poverty.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy