HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 3:42 PM

Calgary census results 1,019,942

- The 2007 Civic Census results for the period from
April 2006 to April 2007, shows that Calgary’s population
continues to increase, although at a slightly slower pace
than last year’s record results. Calgary’s population grew
from 991,759 in April 2006 to 1,019,942 in April 2007, an
increase of 28,183.

”The last decade has shown that Calgary is clearly a magnet
for growth, and accommodating that growth requires us to plan
and build for the future” said Mayor Dave Bronconnier. “Last
year, Calgary grew by nearly 80 people a day, and it
highlights our strong need for a long-term infrastructure
agreement with the Province.”

Specific results from the 2006 Civic Census
Community Growth
• Fourteen communities had a population increase of
more than 1,000 persons – Beltline (1,132), Bridlewood
(1,001), Coventry Hills (1,289), Cranston (1,290), Evergreen
(3,173), Kincora (2,467), McKenzie Towne (1,713), Panorama
Hills (1,619), Royal Oak (1,384), Saddle Ridge (2,643),
Sherwood (1,238), Springbank Hill (1,032), Taradale (1,303),
and Tuscany (1,548).
• Two communities grew more than 100% - Auburn Bay
(245.66%) and Silverado (426.92%)

Net migration and natural increase
Over the past 12 months, 17,631 more people moved into
Calgary than moved away, a decrease of 7,928 from 2006.
Natural increase (the result of births over deaths) was
10,552 persons, up 665 from last year’s figure of 9,887.

Housing
The number of housing units, both existing and under
construction, jumped from 408,543 to 420,311 (11,768 more
homes). Of the 394,125 occupied dwellings in the city,
282,746 (71.74%) are owner-occupied.

However, the number of vacant dwelling units has decreased
from 6,809 in 2006 to 5,825 in 2007. The city’s overall
vacancy rate is 1.46%, down from 1.73% in April 2006.

The Civic Census results are available online at
www.calgary.ca (mid-afternoon July 25, 2007) for this year
and results from previous years.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 3:47 PM

Looking at growth rates in the cities, towns and municipalities surrounding Calgary shows that the momentum of growth is shifting to the suburbs from the city proper. Calgary with a 3% growth rate is being eclipsed by Airdrie, Cochrane, Chestermere, etc (at 8-12% growth). The high cost of living in the city is having an effect on where in the Calgary region people chose to locate. Although the Metro Region is primarily the city proper, this trend has long term planning implications as the non "central city" population is growing at triple the rate of Calgary.

On the other hand a real plus is the fact that the Beltline was one of the largest gainers.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 4:01 PM

now all we need is the metro.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 4:18 PM
Change is good

8-12% growth for a small community of what? 15,000? (sorry dont know airdire off my head) is fairly easy to achieve when its apart of a growing metro area. (It already has all the resources needed around via the metro)
3% growth in Calgary is what? 30,000?
12% for Airdire is 1800?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 4:37 PM
Majestic

Like johnnyc... waiting for the CMA stats...

Flickr

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 4:41 PM

Calgary's share of the CMA, while large, is rapidly shrinking with the surround commuter towns posting 3-4 times the growth rates. One of Calgary's strengths has been its unicity municipal structure. Maybe it is time to annex MD Rockyview, Airdrie, Chestemere and Cochrane.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 5:02 PM
Majestic

Chestermere and most of the M.D. of Rockyview are achievable. I don't think Airdrie, Cochrane, or Okotoks are going to happen anytime soon. One must question, though, when these annexations go through, the intent of such annexations and the potential outcomes. It is hard for me to say whether or not an annexation cuts down on sprawl by enforcing city-standards for suburban growth, or whether it increases sprawl by opening up land for developers who otherwise would not have moved into the areas.

Flickr

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 5:17 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Calgary's share of the CMA, while large, is rapidly shrinking with the surround commuter towns posting 3-4 times the growth rates. One of Calgary's strengths has been its unicity municipal structure. Maybe it is time to annex MD Rockyview, Airdrie, Chestemere and Cochrane.
Seems to me that with the wonderful working relationship the City of Calgary already has with MD Rocky View in light of the current annexation...

[/sarcasm]

...taking over Airdrie, Chestermere, and Cochrane would be a bit of a stretch. Chestermere itself is expanding westward to become an official Edge City, and to Calgary's north, West Balzac is slated to sandwich 40,000 residents between the city and Airdrie. The route to Cochrane is blocked by Bearspaw's rural sprawl and the park reserve set aside along the Bow River.

So, more annexation? Not so likely.

What is long overdue, on the other hand, is for City Council to lean on the Edge Cities to ante up for a share of LRT and commuter rail construction.

Always pleased to serve my growing clientele.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Or simply reinstate the regional planning commissions that were stupidly scrapped by the Klein government. Before that, Alberta had de facto urban growth boundaries. The political ability to annex neighbouring cities is virtually non-existent in Alberta now. Our future looks like Edmonton's.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris550 View Post
Chestermere and most of the M.D. of Rockyview are achievable. I don't think Airdrie, Cochrane, or Okotoks are going to happen anytime soon. One must question, though, when these annexations go through, the intent of such annexations and the potential outcomes. It is hard for me to say whether or not an annexation cuts down on sprawl by enforcing city-standards for suburban growth, or whether it increases sprawl by opening up land for developers who otherwise would not have moved into the areas.
Okotoks likely isn't possible, but the others are because they depend on Calgary sewer and/or water. The political consequences for the Province to force such an annexation would likely be minor, unlike in the Edmonton region. I hate regional planning agencies are they simply add another layer of bureaucracy without accomplishing much.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 6:01 PM
Round Head

Interesting that Beltline is the only existing community to post growth over 1000 people in the year. Based on current development, it will likely move to about 2000 people per year in the near future.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Okotoks likely isn't possible, but the others are because they depend on Calgary sewer and/or water. The political consequences for the Province to force such an annexation would likely be minor, unlike in the Edmonton region. I hate regional planning agencies are they simply add another layer of bureaucracy without accomplishing much.
Well, I would agree that simply making a single, large municipality is a much better option, however political leverage is lacking. Ultimately the action has to be at the provincial level, and it is hard to see Stelmach moving against the rural vote. But whatever you think about more bureaucracy, the explosion of acreages and communities just outside of Calgary but using Calgary's infrastructure corresponds closely with the elimination of regional planning.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 6:29 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
The Geographer is right, the political risk associated with losing these small to medium urban municipalities is too great.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 7:06 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Airdrie is 30,000+ now.

Did anybody notice that Cliff Bungalow lost almost 10% of its population? I'm wondering if a lot of that's due to evictions such related to condo conversions?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 7:10 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Ah, per Airdrie's website: 31,512, which is an increase of 8.53%.

Chestermere: 11,262, or an 18.8% increase in one year. It now can become the City of Chestermere- I bet that makes some Calgarians feel really old!

www.altapop.ca has these results and more.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 7:15 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
Ah, per Airdrie's website: 31,512, which is an increase of 8.53%.

Chestermere: 11,262, or an 18.8% increase in one year. It now can become the City of Chestermere- I bet that makes some Calgarians feel really old!

www.altapop.ca has these results and more.
It is qualified to become a City or it is a City? Their site still says Town of Chestermere...

http://www.town.chestermere.com/

Flickr

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 7:19 PM

Qualified to become, I wouldn't expect them to though. Same with Cochrane, we're at something like 15,500 or so now (there was an article in one of the local papers about growth, and the town is predicting that we'll be back at 15% annual growth for 2008 with all the new subdivision approvals, some 700+ new lots approved for construction and several thousand more are awaiting ASP's to be done and approved)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 7:21 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris550 View Post
It is qualified to become a City or it is a City? Their site still says Town of Chestermere...

http://www.town.chestermere.com/
"can become..."

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 8:24 PM
Build'em high!

Great numbers for the Beltline. Next years increase will be higher and should easily put it over 20,000

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 8:31 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
"can become..."
Ah, I see. I blame sleepiness. I only got up a few hours ago you know...

Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy