HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 6:21 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomtown_Hamilton View Post
If you're looking for some really good real estate deals in town check out the Corktown neighbourhood plus anything in the North-end or along Barton Street East where the houses are extremely under-valued but with the re-construction of the Centre Mall taking place you can bet that property values will rise in-and-around that area of that Mall after the re-development of it is complete. So anything North of Barton Street and the Corktown neighbourhood.
Great advice, another area I'll be looking at when I visit in Oct. I'm trying to keep close to downtown. But, my parents, if they move across too, might buy some rental properties.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 6:26 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
Omro, I haven't checked the money exchange rates recently, but is it possible you might gain on your dollar with the exchange rates after you move?
Fraid so, it's about 2:1 ATM.

I've lost about £25k per flat. So that's £50k or $100k.

Depressing or what!

It's only paper money, but still it was nice to have lol.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 6:29 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
Yep, we certainly do. LOL

We followed a gay friend to Hamilton. He moved back to Hamilton (he grew up in Hamilton) last summer after time in New York and Toronto.
My friend's flatmate is from Hamilton and moved to Toronto and then New York and now lives in London. You couldn't pay him to move back. That said, with what he's earning here he could probably buy a small palace in Hamilton lol.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 6:49 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Fraid so, it's about 2:1 ATM.

I've lost about £25k per flat. So that's £50k or $100k.

Depressing or what!

It's only paper money, but still it was nice to have lol.
The Canadian dollar sure has seen a huge increase in the last 5 years.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 7:33 PM
Closed account

yes, Jackson Square is that 'naff' mall with the Farmers Market.
We have an entire thread on here to discuss ideas of how to fix up the place.
Also, I'll second Corktown as a great option for you to check out.
Awesome hood close to EVERYTHING.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 7:56 PM

Quote:
I'll just have to hope that prices don't leap in the next six+ months.

Is Jackson Square is that the undercover mall type shopping centre with the Farmer's Market? Other than the Farmer's Market that shopping centre was naff. It and the building opposite were this really grim dark brick and very enclosing and blah. I'd knock them both down and redo that area.
Yes it's one of 2 malls, the other being Hamilton City Centre, which is faring worse than Jackson Square at the moment. The "super block" between York, James, King, and Bay was largely the result of trying to compete with suburban flight of people and businesses in the 50s and 60s. There used to be some nice old architecture there, but of course it's all turned into blah now.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 8:02 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
yes, Jackson Square is that 'naff' mall with the Farmers Market.
We have an entire thread on here to discuss ideas of how to fix up the place.
Also, I'll second Corktown as a great option for you to check out.
Awesome hood close to EVERYTHING.
Well I won't start that up again, but will find that thread. Still nothing a good bulldozing won't fix lol. We have a shopping centre within a walk from where I live called "Selbourne Walk" - it's got some good things in it, but could still do with a good bull dozing just to open up the town centre again.

I'm getting confused with Jackson Square because my map says "Eaton Centre" on it. I think Google Maps does too.

Is there a good online map with the different neighbourhoods laid out?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 8:05 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
Yes it's one of 2 malls, the other being Hamilton City Centre, which is faring worse than Jackson Square at the moment. The "super block" between York, James, King, and Bay was largely the result of trying to compete with suburban flight of people and businesses in the 50s and 60s. There used to be some nice old architecture there, but of course it's all turned into blah now.
OK, now I am confused. A Google Map hunt for "Jackson Square" brings up nothing. I can see "Eaton Centre" at the address you mention above, which I thought was Jackson Square. Where's this HCC address?

Don't confuse the poor person who doesn't live there yet

Edit: Aha, I've got it worked out now. Wikipedia to the rescue!

Last edited by omro; Jul 2, 2008 at 8:18 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 8:21 PM
Closed account

The Eaton Centre has been renamed Hamilton City Centre. Jackson Square and HCC are separate, but adjacent and connected. I actually don't mind JS, although it's a street-killer, but they can bulldoze the execrable HCC anytime.

Don't know of any online maps showing the neighbourhood names, but all the print ones have it. You might have to wait to pick one up on your next visit.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 8:39 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
The Eaton Centre has been renamed Hamilton City Centre. Jackson Square and HCC are separate, but adjacent and connected. I actually don't mind JS, although it's a street-killer, but they can bulldoze the execrable HCC anytime.

Don't know of any online maps showing the neighbourhood names, but all the print ones have it. You might have to wait to pick one up on your next visit.
I do remember, forgive me I don't recall the names, that there was a building directly opposite the HCC or perhaps a little west from it, and at one point it feels like you're walking inside a car tunnel. I found that rather oppressive the night I walked back to the hotel along King. It's the 70s dark brick used that doesn't help. I'm sure something more modern and airy could be built today on the site that would be a jaw dropper. The thing that stunned me about the HCC was the lack of anything with a name brand. There was a Tim Horton's *shock* and a Roots. It wasn't until I went to Eastgate and Limeridge that I came across shops with names I'd heard of. Sorry, I know that's been debated in another thread, but as a person visiting Hamilton for the first time, that was a total shock.

I've looked at the map I did pick up a Rand McNally foldup city map. It does have Corktown on, but doesn't seem to have that much else.

I've found Flar's phototour map:

Something like this showing neighbourhood boundaries would be awesome.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 9:42 PM

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 10:00 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Interesting map. Haven't heard of half of those areas. Is that a town and planning map as those don't often co-incide with what the people call an area.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 10:23 PM

yah, i guess this would be a town planning map, but to my knowledge most of the names match up with the local names. i don't think the mountain neighbourhood names are used often.. usually just divided into east/west in my experience

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 10:25 PM
Hammer'd

First of all I want to say that it's excellent to see people coming to Southern Ontario from the UK. I don't know too many people from the UK but the ones I do always seem so interesting and have a different view on life than anyone else I know. I guess things are really different over there. The accents from different parts of the UK are also so awesome to hear I guess just like you came here hoping to hear people going "eh" and talking about hockey and maple syrup...

Anyway I'm glad you're so excited about coming here, I'm sure you'll feel right at home within no time at all. Everybody has already covered the areas I would have suggested in this thread. You definitely want to be downtown or at least "central". I would have personally suggested a loft or condo downtown... but then I realize that Hamilton isn't exactly supplying too awesomely in regards to that. If the Royal Connaught condo project actually takes off though, I'm sure you'll be taking a look at it. Lots of British history in that old hotel, I might add. A couple of royal visits over the years.

Anyway I'll be watching this thread pretty closely. I hope everything falls into place for you so you can enjoy your first spring and summer here in Hamilton next year. If you need to know anything about the extreme Eastern part of Hamilton, I can help you out. I live right near the border with Stoney Creek. I know you expressed little interest in that area, but I could still help identify areas of interest.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 11:04 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
First of all I want to say that it's excellent to see people coming to Southern Ontario from the UK. I don't know too many people from the UK but the ones I do always seem so interesting and have a different view on life than anyone else I know. I guess things are really different over there.
I think the same of my north american friends. They have such a different take on life that it's great. Personally I can't think of anything better than two people from different cultural backgrounds getting together, which is why I've never been that attracted to my fellow Brits.

Quote:
The accents from different parts of the UK are also so awesome to hear I guess just like you came here hoping to hear people going "eh" and talking about hockey and maple syrup...
We do have a huge diversity of accents for such a small country and my American friends are forever saying "so that's accent is Scottish?" to which I have to answer "No, that's Scouse... Brummie... Geordie... Mancunian... etc." I don't know why they think every new accent they hear is Scottish, but hey ho. I do like Canadian accents, they're softer than American ones. My general experience of Canadians suggests that they're a very friendly people, I hope that I'm not proven wrong.

Quote:
Anyway I'm glad you're so excited about coming here, I'm sure you'll feel right at home within no time at all.
What's not to be excited about? OK, the city has a few downsides, but then so does everywhere. As I saw in April, the city has "the bones", with a few visionary people it'll be amazing in a few years time and I'd rather get in while I can and watch it transform around me (help it transform if I can) than stay here where I'm no longer happy and re-examine things in a few years and realise I made a mistake. I'd much rather make a mistake following a dream than to regret not having done so. I know people might be a little shocked about following a dream to move to Hamilton, lol, but actually the dream is to live in Canada and grow as a person as a result, the place isn't "that" important, it was going to be Vancouver, now it's going to be Hamilton. Home is what you make of it and I'm hoping to find some pretty cool people in Hamilton to help me feel at home :-)

Quote:
Everybody has already covered the areas I would have suggested in this thread. You definitely want to be downtown or at least "central". I would have personally suggested a loft or condo downtown... but then I realize that Hamilton isn't exactly supplying too awesomely in regards to that.
Had I not lent half my money to family (the things we do), I'd have had about $300k to throw around and would definitely have bought a super slick condo. I don't think the outside is that exciting, but the Core Lofts condos that were for sale looked gorgeous in that price range when I was looking on MLS in April. There was also a lovely apartment in the Olympia Towers that had stunning views and was perfect for me at about $140k. No wonder that was on and off the site again in the week I was looking.

Quote:
If the Royal Connaught condo project actually takes off though, I'm sure you'll be taking a look at it. Lots of British history in that old hotel, I might add. A couple of royal visits over the years.
British History and Royal visits? You do know that most of our Royal Family is german don't you? :-P That said I have the utmost respect for the Queen. The rest of them... well... Back on subject, where is this condo project?

Quote:
Anyway I'll be watching this thread pretty closely. I hope everything falls into place for you so you can enjoy your first spring and summer here in Hamilton next year.
Me too, all depends on the housing market at the time. Damn these mortgage lock ins...

Quote:
If you need to know anything about the extreme Eastern part of Hamilton, I can help you out. I live right near the border with Stoney Creek. I know you expressed little interest in that area, but I could still help identify areas of interest.
East Hamilton isn't off the map for me, but unless the LRT definitely happens I don't think I'd want to live there. I'm more of a walker than a public transport taker, if I can avoid it. It's not the cost, compared to London your buses are reasonably cheap, I just like the convenience of having things on my doorstep. I've ridden your buses and to their credit they seemed clean and ontime. Obviously the people who ride the bus get to know the drivers, because there was a lot of chatting between driver and passenger, pretty much unheard of on London buses! Personally, I know this is for another thread, but as a potential new resident of your city, I really hope LRT happens. I've seen how it has transformed the inner cities of places in the UK.

My parents are an entirely different story. If I move, with both of their children in Hamilton they will definitely move and when they sell up they'll have far more money than I do to play with. Mum's already fallen for the style of house, throw in a big back yard, a porch she can sit on and do her Grandma thing and she'll be all set.

I have to say, if everyone is as welcoming as people on this forum seem to be, I'm definitely going to stay excited about the move!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 11:16 PM
Closed account

Most people in Canada are very friendly and helpful.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 6:26 AM
Closed account

HOUSE FOR SALE!!

LOCATED APPROX 1O MIN WALK FROM DOWNTOWN CORE, THIS [ALMOST] CENTURY HOME COULD BE YOURS FOR THE RIGHT PRICE . LOVINGLY RESTORED, OPEN-CONCEPT, CENTRAL AIR, FINISHED BASEMENT, 3 BR, 2 BATH. ACCEPTING OFFERS NOW!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 7:14 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

very cute, wouldn't know what to offer. I haven't sold mine yet. lol.

My mum loves that design with the deep porches.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
HOUSE FOR SALE!!

LOCATED APPROX 1O MIN WALK FROM DOWNTOWN CORE, THIS [ALMOST] CENTURY HOME COULD BE YOURS FOR THE RIGHT PRICE . LOVINGLY RESTORED, OPEN-CONCEPT, CENTRAL AIR, FINISHED BASEMENT, 3 BR, 2 BATH. ACCEPTING OFFERS NOW!
Is that your house?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 2:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
very cute, wouldn't know what to offer. I haven't sold mine yet. lol.

My mum loves that design with the deep porches.
It depends on the hood:
Stinson, $140,000-$150,000
Corktown, $160,000 - $170,000
Durand, $210,000 - $225,000
Burlington Street Industrial, $65,000 - $75,500
(my approximates for Dude's super-cute lil house)

I'm no real estate expert... but I do search MLS a lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion