HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 4:41 PM

There's also a new footbridge being built to connect the park to Brooklyn Heights.

Brownstoner

Brownstoner

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 7:57 PM

Amazing.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 3:22 AM

This is an awesome project.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 4:54 AM
BANNED

When I was in Brooklyn in the summer, the little park at the top of where that bridge will end had a big tall fence around it's perimeter with a closed gate like a prison yard. That fence needs to go. Parks should be open, not bound in by fences.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 6:22 AM
TL;DR

I disagree... prison yard is the wrong model, but a good edge condition is important.

Surely you don't think Central Park West is like a prison yard?

FWIW, the fence was probably for construction or pre-construction.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 10:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I disagree... prison yard is the wrong model, but a good edge condition is important.

Surely you don't think Central Park West is like a prison yard?

FWIW, the fence was probably for construction or pre-construction.
The fence when I was there didn't look like a construction fence. It was the same fence and locked gate that you can see in the 2011 Google Streetview picture, where the gate is closed in the middle of the day (as it was when I was there). In 2011 the fence obviously wasn't for the bridge construction:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Squib...44.12,,0,-2.04

That's not a 4 foot stone fence like Central Park West. That's a tall, spiked metal fence with a gate locked in the middle of the day even though there appears to be no work going on inside the park. Exactly the same as when I was there.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 4:25 PM

I have to agree in this case... that fence looks permanent and definitely sends a "keep out" or "this is a bad neighborhood" kind of message (even though I know that Brooklyn Heights is NOT a bad neighborhood). If that is where the ped. bridge is landing, they could easily take that fence down and make that place feel more like an "entry" to Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Will View Post
When I was in Brooklyn in the summer, the little park at the top of where that bridge will end had a big tall fence around it's perimeter with a closed gate like a prison yard. That fence needs to go. Parks should be open, not bound in by fences.
J Will, please take your negative, pedantic crap elsewhere. This thread is about a great new park being built. If you want to complain about the quality of New York City parks, please start a thread elsewhere.

Thank you.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 6:40 PM

Let's shift back to what this thread is really about.

sirgious

Richard Cohen

sirgious

sirigious

sirigious

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 9:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
J Will, please take your negative, pedantic crap elsewhere. This thread is about a great new park being built. If you want to complain about the quality of New York City parks, please start a thread elsewhere.

Thank you.
Nope, I'm not complaining about the quality of NYC parks. You're lying. I'm talking about an unnecessary fence and a locked gate in the middle of the day for no reason around one specific park. I never said anything about any other NYC parks. Keep trying though.

Quote:
I have to agree in this case... that fence looks permanent and definitely sends a "keep out" or "this is a bad neighborhood" kind of message
You have to agree because I'm correct. The tall, ugly fence around the perimeter of the park when I was there was definitely NOT a construction fence, nor was it a construction fence in the Google Streetview image I posted from 2011. And the gate was locked when I was there. I checked because I wanted to go in there as it looked like it had a good skyline view. It was a "park" surrounded by a tall, spiked fence and a locked gate in the middle of the day. That's why I compared it to a prison yard. The only thing missing is the barbed wire.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Will View Post
Nope, I'm not complaining about the quality of NYC parks. You're lying. I'm talking about an unnecessary fence and a locked gate in the middle of the day for no reason around one specific park. I never said anything about any other NYC parks. Keep trying though.

You have to agree because I'm correct. The tall, ugly fence around the perimeter of the park when I was there was definitely NOT a construction fence, nor was it a construction fence in the Google Streetview image I posted from 2011. And the gate was locked when I was there. I checked because I wanted to go in there as it looked like it had a good skyline view. It was a "park" surrounded by a tall, spiked fence and a locked gate in the middle of the day. That's why I compared it to a prison yard. The only thing missing is the barbed wire.
Fine. I'll bite. The reason there is a tall fence surrounding Squibb park is that it is built on a platform with a substantial drop on three of its four sides, so it is certainly not "unnecessary". If there were only 4 foot fences it would not be a very safe place for children to play. Could those fences be more attractive? Certainly. Do they serve a purpose? Yes.

You can see here:

BingMaps

Urban By Design Online

Now back to Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 11:20 PM

That explains 3 of the 4 fences, but it certainly doesn't explain the one along the upper street or the reason it is locked certain times of day.

As an occasional drop-in from the Denver forum, I don't know the history between sbarn and J. Will, but from what I've seen the comment about the fence is completely fair. This situation seems to be right out of Jane Jacobs' tirade against urban fences in "Death and Life of Great American Cities." And it isn't a deviation from the Brooklyn Bridge Park discussion either since this "Squibb Park" place is now going to serve as the main entrance to Brooklyn Bridge Park from Brooklyn Heights. I find this forum most interesting when people can have honest, open debates about the merits and faults of the built environment. It doesn't have to be a 24/7 circle jerk about the project named at the top of the thread.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 12:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
That explains 3 of the 4 fences, but it certainly doesn't explain the one along the upper street or the reason it is locked certain times of day.
Exactly. Obviously those three sides need high fences. But the side between the park and the sidewalk doesn't need tall fences and a locked gate (or a gate at all). Why would you restrict access to what is supposed to be a public park unless it there is construction or some sort of special event for which it is being temporarily closed?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 1:50 AM
TL;DR

A quick Google search reveals:

Squibb Park has been closed since the 80s. It has no visibility from any street, and it was actually dangerous before the massive Brooklyn gentrification wave. Because of the visibility issue, the Parks Dept kept it closed until money could be found to hire a full-time security guard. That didn't happen until just recently.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 1:58 AM

^ Thank you, that pretty much explains everything. So is it fair to say then that the fence will be taken down and the park will be opened up since the new pedestrian bridge access to Brooklyn Bridge Park is landing there?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 7:35 PM

Don't know if this got posted...

Dumbo Apartments Set Sail: Brooklyn Bridge Park Seeking Developers for Latest Controversial Project
By Matt Chaban 1:08pm

"How would you like to wake up to views of the Manhattan Bridge and Lower Manhattan beyond, a lavish waterfront park right outside? That is the vision Brooklyn Bridge Park is hoping will entice developers into the newest private development within the libertarian park. Today, the park released a request for proposals for a development at the nexus of John and Pearl streets in Dumbo. The project calls for no more than 130 residential units in a 101,000-square foot development that can rise no higher than 13 stories...

... Among the requirements for the development outlined in the RFP are a strong architectural identity for the project, a design that is complimentary to the park, achieve LEED certification for sustainablity and, above all, “generate a financially feasible and economically viable project, with lease payments that will contribute to ongoing maintenance and operations of the Park.”...

... It will be curious to see what developers turn up for this project, given the intense interest from some of the city’s biggest names in the previous commercial development in the park, a development of a hotel and apartments at Pier 1. McMansion and Northside Piers builders Toll Brothers and hotel financier Starwood Capital won that project.

The John Street development is smaller and more out of the way, but considering that Dumbo has become in only a decade the borough’s most expensive neighborhood, it would seem the competition for any development opportunity will be fierce."

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 8:27 PM
New Yorker for life

This park is still under construction and will remain so for quite a while, so I wouldn't be concerned about any appearance of and around it until its completed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/14/ny...open.html?_r=0

Fields and Picnic Area Open in Brooklyn Park

By LISA W. FODERARO
December 13, 2012

Quote:
Brooklyn Bridge Park, an 85-acre work-in-progress that stretches along the East River waterfront, took a significant step toward completion on Thursday with the opening of three new athletic fields, two playgrounds and a picnic area on Pier 5.

The $26 million pier, one of several former shipping berths at the park, is the third to be developed for recreational use. When a new pedestrian bridge linking Brooklyn Heights to Pier 1 opens by the end of the year, the park, which drew 90,000 visitors on a typical weekend last summer, will be nearly halfway finished.

The synthetic-turf fields use an organic infill made of sand and coconut fiber; visitors tugged on the fake grass to make sure the blades were not real. The soccer fields, which can also accommodate lacrosse, cricket, rugby and ultimate Frisbee, will be available for youth and adult leagues, as well as for private and public schools. Sail-like structures flanking the fields provide shade by day, and 30 light poles will allow nighttime play, although they are not yet active because of damage to the park’s electrical system from Hurricane Sandy.

Surrounding the fields is a broad esplanade lined with benches for a sweeping view of the harbor. Fishing is allowed at the tip of the pier, which has stainless-steel sinks to wash up.

The inland portion of the pier features the 2 playgrounds and 57 picnic tables fashioned from thick slabs of long-leaf yellow pine and topped with metal mesh umbrellas in aqua blue. Nearly two dozen grills are scattered around the picnic area, along with tetherball courts and a child-size telescope.

http://gothamist.com/2012/12/13/phot...ri.php#photo-1

Photos: Pier 5 And Its Soccer Fields Are Now Open In Brooklyn Bridge Park

Jen Carlson/Gothamist

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 7:35 PM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/1...ridge_park.php

Exploring the Still-Developing 85-Acre Brooklyn Bridge Park

December 20, 2012
by Curbed Staff

Quote:
Over the past 12 years, Mayor Michael Bloomberg has directed enormous amounts of energy and resources towards building a series of new waterfront parks in New York City. Brooklyn Bridge Park, the 85-acre super-park currently being assembled along 1.3 miles of East River waterfront, is the best known of these new parks, and is considered by many to be one of the crowning achievements of his waterfront agenda. The park is so large that it has swallowed up several pre-existing parks nearby, and includes landscapes ranging from elaborate wooded playgrounds to hilly hiking trails. The newest section of the park, Pier 5, opened to the public on December 13th and contains an immense soccer field, a picnic area, a fishing station, and a tether ball court. However, like all of the recently opened sections of Brooklyn Bridge Park, it lacks any truly significant means of engaging the water.

Situated south of the Brooklyn Bridge, the newer sections of Brooklyn Bridge Park were designed by landscape architect Michael Van Valkenburgh in 2005, and began opening to the public in 2010. They include many areas to walk or run above the water on concrete promenades, and countless places to sit on benches or fields while passively enjoying a cordoned-off view of passing boats. There are even a few areas to fish. In the entire 14 block park, though, there is currently only one access point to the East River - a cinderblock boat ramp that is crumbling into a cove of old pilings. Closed for the season, the ramp ends at a guard rail covered in caution tape. While the park is eventually scheduled to include a marina, a beach, and a second boat ramp, these additions will only focus a small percentage of the park's 85 acres onto water-based activities.

Another of Tuazon's dead-tree sculptures provides a commentary on the arbitrary recreation possibilities included in the park.

On the recently opened Pier 5, a soccer field has replaced a shipping warehouse.

Children play on its synthetic surface, far from the water's edge.

Pier 5 is ringed by more promenades and benches, offering passive views out onto the water.

A new picnic area with built in grills and plastic umbrellas was opened on December 13th.

The picnic area includes a randomly placed tether ball court near the water's edge.

A pedestrian bridge from Brooklyn Heights will soon make accessing this southern section of the park easier.

In Empire Fulton Ferry Park, visitors walk near a cove where waves splash onto the paths.

—Nathan Kensinger
In these sections of the park, children play at the water's edge and interact with nature.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 12:42 AM
New Yorker for life

http://gothamist.com/2013/03/21/this...il.php#photo-1

The Most Important Pedestrian Bridge Of Our Time OPENS TODAY In Brooklyn

The Squibb Park footbridge rises majestically above Brooklyn Bridge Park, behind Pier 1.(Jake Dobkin/Gothamist)

By Jen Carlson
March 21, 2013

Quote:
This afternoon the Squibb Park Pedestrian Bridge finally opened, giving people one more way to travel from Brooklyn Bridge Park's Pier 1 to the Brooklyn Heights Promenade, and vice versa (prior to this, there were only like, two ways to do this). The $5 million bridge was first announced last April, with installation taking place from December through this past month. Upon learning it was open, we decided to give it a test walk. Some notes:

■The bridge is bouncy: This is pointed out in the sign at the bridge's entrances, but we still weren't quite prepared for the amount of bounce we felt. This will be fun until the bridge is filled up with tourist bus loads of people.

■The bridge doesn't shave off any time: In fact, at a normal pace, it took one of us 0.2 seconds less time to travel to the same point not using the bridge.

■The bridge offers non-stop amazing $5 million views: Even when you are traveling up it you can get a new viewpoint of Brooklyn Heights, with the skyline and Brooklyn Bridge just behind you.

■This bridge will change your life: just watch this video...(in the link)

Some fun bridge facts:

■The highest point is 50-feet.

■The bridge is made of black locust wood (which can be found elsewhere in Brooklyn Bridge Park) and galvanized cable.

■Bikes are allowed, but the you have to walk them.

■Dogs are allowed!

■The bridge is open from 6 a.m. to 1 a.m.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

The bridge seems nice and I think it is good that the path passes trough an otherwise rather isolated park.

But that claim that the walk is one second longer is plain dumb, it only seems to prove that the guy walks way faster than the girl. If the lines they draw are accurate, and it seems they are by watching the video, the blue line is about 43% longer than the red line, not to mention that in the blue path you have to cross a street.
But obviously, it is not that it is going to save much time anyway although you will have a very nice view of the skyline.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development