HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
It's not a safety issue...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...rden-1.3141354

In an emailed statement, the city said the rule exists for "public safety as well as implications for road maintenance work and associated equipment."

Quote:
there are plenty of private lanes with cars, ornamental walls, etc on even narrower rights-of-way... the City just doesn't want people building things in their right-of-way.
It's a couple of boards. The same kind of boards that the city needs to pull out of its rectum.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars View Post
I don't understand why they don't just move it back closer to the front of their house? Why does it need to be on the edge of the yard? These bylaws exist for everyone, it's not like they're being unfairly targeted.
Maybe the edge gets more sun, idk

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 9:12 AM

Quote:
This home from your link is owned by a prominent Ottawa couple, and has a garden in the ROW.
https://goo.gl/maps/KBV5h
I wonder if this would count as a "wall"
How'd you know that the raised garden is on the ROW, and not on private property? Garden looks like its not flowing into the sidewalk to me.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Based on the video it looks like this is the middle unit of a back-to-back townhouse
https://goo.gl/maps/rtf5r
I went by it last night..it is somewhere along here or a block that looks just like this.

https://goo.gl/maps/c6ksx

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 12:42 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggys View Post
How'd you know that the raised garden is on the ROW, and not on private property? Garden looks like its not flowing into the sidewalk to me.
Based on the distance from the sidewalk, the aerial photos/property boundaries on maps.ottawa.ca, and that there is signage, utility polls, hydrants etc along the road within the same setback on the garden...

here are several more found just from using streetview around the neighbourhood...
https://goo.gl/maps/1XrLl
https://goo.gl/maps/Psjr3
https://goo.gl/maps/8aaEq
https://goo.gl/maps/ZFK6b

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 5:20 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Outlaw gardeners, city find common ground

By Susan Sherring, Ottawa Sun
First posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 10:19 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 10:24 PM EDT

Let's face it.

Making fun of the city -- and its many and varied bylaws -- is like sport for many of us.

Fun -- and so darn easy.

So when word went out that the city was forcing a Kanata couple to take down their front-lawn vegetable garden because one ornery neighbour had complained, well, Twitter went wild.

But unfortunately, sometimes the truth gets in the way of a really great story.

And here's the truth: Part of the vegetable garden is on city property. The city believes the wooden enclosures used to contain the garden are a safety hazard because they butt up right beside the sidewalk.

So the couple has two choices -- move the garden closer to their home and off the city's easement -- or take away the wooden enclosures.

It's a position that seems hard to argue with.

Here's another truth: Shannon Lough is a very reasonable woman, and, given the exposure this story is getting, she's now second-guessing her initial tweet, which alerted everyone to her garden's plight.

Having received national media attention, she's just about ready for the story to go away.

Lough bought the house with her partner, Will Needham, in September, and she's still hoping to save the garden on which he has been working so hard.

Uncertain about exactly what the issue was with the garden, she phoned bylaw Wednesday and clarified the situation -- learning about the city's concerns with the wooden enclosures.

She's not 100% convinced they pose a danger, but she appreciates parents might be worried about their little ones going down the sidewalk as they learn to cycle. And she'd never knowingly do anything that might hurt someone.

Speaking to chief bylaw officer Roger Chapman, the two have agreed to meet Friday afternoon.

"He seems pretty reasonable; he was really nice," she said.

And she admits, she really had no idea that part of what she thought was her property is actually the city's.

"I know, everyone thinks I'm an idiot," she jokes, "but you know, not everyone knows that. People are shocked to learn that -- for them it's just common sense. So maybe this story will help educate others like myself."

For Lough, part of the problem for the garden is that the plants aren't directly in the earth on her front lawn. Instead, the plants are in boxes -- made out of the wooden enclosures.

She worries if the wood isn't there, the soil will just spill out when the rain comes.

But she's comforted in part by her conversation with Chapman.

"He was just so kind, he seemed very reasonable," she said.

Chapman said much the same thing about Lough.

"She seems very reasonable," he told the Sun on Wednesday -- both killing what appeared on the surface to be a great, fun City Messes Up Again story.

Chapman is upbeat a compromise can be found.

"She's willing to move the wooden structure. She's worried if we remove the back part of it, the soil will erode in the ran and wash away the garden. I think we can find something that will work, so I told her I'd come out and have a look at it," he said, suggesting another, more acceptable material could be used that would save the garden.

"She seemed to be receptive to that," he said. "We haven't come to any sort of formal agreement, but we'll work together."

It's interesting to note of course, that as the vegetable garden story took off, the city on Wednesday extended the timeframe for the infamous rooftop Holstein atop an Orleans food boutique Cheddar Et Cetera -- which also was once threatened by the strong arm of the city's bylaw department.

The cow contravened a rooftop sign bylaw and it looked like it would have to come down.

A little bit of common sense prevailed -- some bad puns were used -- and the cow still stands!

At this latest council meeting, yet another extension for the cow's sign life was given.

But yes that, too, was a great story.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/07/08/...-common-ground

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 5:31 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...rden-1.3141354

In an emailed statement, the city said the rule exists for "public safety as well as implications for road maintenance work and associated equipment."
Which might actually be true. And if the City had just said that it was about maintaining space for maintenance equipment from the beginning, rather than harp on about trip hazards, they wouldn't look quite so daft.

Moreover, that being the case, there's no immediate need to remove the boxes; so long as they were down by the first snowfall it should be good.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Which might actually be true. And if the City had just said that it was about maintaining space for maintenance equipment from the beginning, rather than harp on about trip hazards, they wouldn't look quite so daft.

Moreover, that being the case, there's no immediate need to remove the boxes; so long as they were down by the first snowfall it should be good.
Indeed it might. But if the city is going to start worrying about trip hazards next to sidewalks, holy gentle mother of moses...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 6:07 PM

It looks like there is lots of space for flower boxes closer to the house where they have grass. Not sure why they can't build there instead of on city property.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
It looks like there is lots of space for flower boxes closer to the house where they have grass. Not sure why they can't build there instead of on city property.
Probably because their front yard is north-facing and thus if it was closer to the house it would be in shadow almost all the time. By having it further away from the house it is able to get afternoon sun.

Looking at the propery on GeoOttawa (302 Meadowbreeze Dr), there seems to be very little space between the front of their house and the property line. If they are not allowed to encroach into the ROW at all, they basically cannot have a garden.

With increasingly dense suburban development (including housing styles such as these back-to-back homes) and the interest of people in local food, I think an easing of these restrictions is justified and reasonable.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 6:49 PM

Lots of houses near where I live in the Glebe have hard landscaping right up to the sidewalk (and thus on city property). Link

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nredding View Post
Lots of houses near where I live in the Glebe have hard landscaping right up to the sidewalk (and thus on city property). Link
There's examples in just about any neighborhood. The city usually doesn't care as long as no one calls bylaw to report it.

Personally I'd give at least a foot or two clearance from the sidewalk/road just to prevent damage to my garden (ex: winter plowing).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 8:07 PM

Quote:
And she admits, she really had no idea that part of what she thought was her property is actually the city's.
I find that really odd because our agent and lawyer explained to us how easements & such work when we bought our house last year. (Bell/Rogers boxes are in our backyard. Fire hydrant in the front.) Our lawyer even provided us with detailed plans of our lot.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 1:47 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Kanata couple's front lawn garden will survive

Patrick Smith, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: July 10, 2015 | Last Updated: July 10, 2015 7:59 PM EDT

The adage goes, “You reap what you sow.” And after sowing good intentions and a willingness to compromise, a Kanata couple will be reaping the rewards of their vegetable garden’s summer harvest.

Shannon Lough’s meeting with Ottawa bylaw Friday resulted in a compromise that will see the front segment of her garden moved behind the current structure, removing the hazard it posed to anyone walking too close to the edge of the sidewalk.

“Surprisingly, they came to a compromise,” Lough said cheerily. “I wasn’t expecting that.”

There was still some confusion surrounding the land line, however. According to Lough, she was cited three different numbers from bylaw officers and the land developer, ranging anywhere from 1.5 to 2.3 metres away from the sidewalk.

Regardless, the deal brokered between Lough and Ottawa bylaw will result in the removal of the front section of the garden, a change of 0.6 metres. This, Lough said, would not harm the harvest.

“The bok choy is pretty much done, and it’s flowers on each side,” she said, adding that the only crop that has yet to yield is the jalapeño peppers. Those will be re-planted in the centre section of the garden.

The agreement came after a social media blitz to #saveourgarden got a huge response in Ottawa, drawing Ottawa bylaw’s attention and spawning a variety of opinions throughout the city, including some strong anti-bylaw opinions that Lough thought were unfair.

“They’re just doing their job,” Lough said. “You could tell they were so reticent. They didn’t really want to do this. They’re really reasonable, genuine human beings that don’t want to be part of this. But they’re doing their jobs.

“They’re not the big, bad wolf or anything, I wouldn’t say.”

Despite the success of her social media campaign, if Lough had to do it over again she said she would have changed her approach.

“When I finally got through to (chief bylaw officer) Roger Chapman and we both had a civil discussion, we were both like, ‘What the hell?’ This is fine,” she said. “If we just spoke in the first place, it probably would have been OK. We probably could have seen through some kind of deal.”

Now that the issue has been resolved, Lough said she is happy to put it all behind her and focus on what she fought so hard for: her crops.

Lough and her boyfriend will have to remove the planters at the end of the harvest, and while Lough is still unclear on where the property line is, she said she would petition city councillor Allan Hubley to implement a community garden nearby.

“There’s a park right by our house that they’re just building up now. Why don’t you just put community gardens there next year? Because then it’s two doors down from us, and I can just tend that garden,” she said, adding that it would also create more green space and help foster more of a community feel.

Ottawa bylaw could not be reached for comment.

psmith@ottawacitizen.com
http://twitter.com/plsmithca

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...n-will-survive

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy