HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Moncton seems to be stagnating at just below 700k. You guys are catching up!!
Saint John taking 3rd place. We are the little engine that could...well, the little engine that is trying. We do have a bit to be happy about & are posting some record numbers as well. Go YSJ!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Drummer View Post
Saint John taking 3rd place. We are the little engine that could...well, the little engine that is trying. We do have a bit to be happy about & are posting some record numbers as well. Go YSJ!
The hinted at Boston flight would help. Whenever that starts up. Won't be long before the 300,000 mark is met. Maybe even this year!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 2:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from CYQM website:

Air Transat expands its winter sun offerings from Greater Moncton this winter!
SEPTEMBER 28, 2018

Greater Moncton, N.B. – The Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport (YQM) is pleased to share that Air Transat will be adding flight frequencies to all of its direct non-stop flights this winter. Destinations include weekly flights to Orlando, Florida; Cancun, Mexico; Punta Cana, Dominican Republic and Varadero, Cuba all starting in February. The extended season will now run from February 15th to May 10th 2019.

“These added frequencies are a testament of how well our community supports sun destinations offered by Air Transat. We’re very happy that as a result, the weeks added will cover the March Break for all destinations they offer from our airport.”, said Bernard LeBlanc, YQM President and CEO.

“Our mission is to bring some sun into people’s daily lives with the joy of holidays. This is why we have made the decision to expand our flight frequencies by a few more weeks so as to make travelers of the Moncton area’s lives easier and better match the school holidays,” said Annick Guérard, Transat Chief Operating Officer.

YQM has several options during winter months by airlines offering direct non-stop flights to southern destinations. The choice is yours, with 11 flights per week to 6 destinations. Air Transat is offering flights from Greater Moncton to Florida, Mexico, Cuba and Dominican Republic. Sunwing Vacations is offering direct flights to Florida, Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican Republic and Mexico.

For details, check YQM’s website (www.cyqm.ca) under the “Flight Information” tab, contact the airlines directly or call your travel agent.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 2:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from CYQM website:

August was the largest month in passenger traffic growth at the Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport
SEPTEMBER 21, 2018

Greater Moncton, N.B. – Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport (YQM) saw its best month ever in August 2018 and if this trend continues 2018 should be our best year ever. YQM saw an 8.3% passenger traffic increase this past August, continuing a positive overall trend for New Brunswick’s largest airport. We also saw a significant increase in international cargo activity with over 400 tonnes of product shipped on Kalitta Air flights in August and September.

So far, year to date, the airport has welcomed 475,785 passengers, more than any other airport in New Brunswick achieved in all of 2017. We’re proud to offer 20 daily (Monday-Friday) departures to major Canadian centres such as Toronto, Montreal, Halifax and Ottawa through our partner airline carriers which include Air Canada, WestJet and Porter Airlines.

“We are very proud to share this great news with the community as we are dedicated to continue working hard at retaining as many flight options and always aim at getting added frequency on existing routes as well as pursuing other route opportunities.” said Bernard LeBlanc, the airport’s President and CEO. “We are extremely grateful for the continued support of our travelers, airlines, and our partners in the business community, together we have made it possible for us to continue increasing our air service.”

So, YTD, CYQM reports 475,785 PAX. If you extrapolate this through to year end (always a risky proposition), this suggests the airport may see 714,000 passengers in 2018. This would be up from 665,630 PAX last year.

We have numbers from all three main NB airports for August:

Moncton - 71,473 (August)
Fredericton - 43,000 (August)
Saint John - 31,856 (August)

The figures reported for SJ and Freddy are marginally different than those previously reported here, but come from a T&T article today.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 2:57 PM

Re: Kalitta Air Flight 926

It has been 3 weeks in a row now that the 747 has come here on Tuesday and Thursday. On Tuesday the flight or aircraft starts at JFK and not sure if its scheduled but, always seems like its a 1530 departure from there and a 2240 departure from here. On Thursdays, the aircraft has been coming from Chicago's O'Hare, last week it was a 1500CST (1700AST) departure and it arrived at 1900hrs..only 2 hour flight from Chicago, at 586knts...ya he was cruisin'. Although it was scheduled to depart at 2240 as well (according to flightaware), it didn't depart until midnight. Not sure if the cargo load is increasing since its 1st flight on August 23rd but, seems like they're putting all the cargo along the tarmac just before its arrival and a few palettes come out during loading from the freezer.

I have made a point to watch everyone of these 747's come in as its my favorite airplane to see. One never knows when the last one will take off and be another 3 or 4 years or more in between. Halifax is also getting a SKYLEASE 747 cargo on Tuesday afternoon, usually arrives around 230pm and departs for Anchorage around 7pm.

Kalitta Air isn't like CargoAirLines from a few years ago that only owns a pair of 747's. Kalitta is based out of Willow Run Michigan and has about a dozen or more 747's and leasing at least 1 or maybe more from Boeing (one was here on Tuesday). Their fleet registration are in the N700CK series, the one on Tuesday was N496BC..an ex Korean Air converted to freighter in 2013 and owned by Boeing. Maybe i'm crazy but, this is great to see here in Moncton and for the local fishing industry.

Here's a video from my channel on youtube of Thursday's arrival and departure of Kalitta Air "Connie" flight 926 to Anchorage.

Arrival:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx35U91rxtM&t=8s

Departure..(sorry vid quality isn't the greatest..taken from cell phone but the sound is amazing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8noFO7zHqQ

Enjoy see ya out there!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 3:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Nice videos. Great to see the planespotters out there.

When my kids were young, we would occasionally go out to the airport too, just to watch the goings on..........

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 3:28 PM

Thanks MonctonRad, I usually use Flightaware to see if a flight plan was registered, then around flight time from JFK or Chicago I use the PlaneFinder app to watch him start up, taxi and depart. That's a pretty good app.
I just wish the other carriers that come here would use jet service and not the Q400's...not just because I like the sound of jets hahaha, I find the Q400's are not comfortable at all and my wife absolutely hates them, feels sick after each flight due to the vibrations. But, what can we do...and no, we won't travel to Halifax just yet haha...tempting though.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcowboy View Post
Thanks MonctonRad, I usually use Flightaware to see if a flight plan was registered, then around flight time from JFK or Chicago I use the PlaneFinder app to watch him start up, taxi and depart. That's a pretty good app.
I just wish the other carriers that come here would use jet service and not the Q400's...not just because I like the sound of jets hahaha, I find the Q400's are not comfortable at all and my wife absolutely hates them, feels sick after each flight due to the vibrations. But, what can we do...and no, we won't travel to Halifax just yet haha...tempting though.
I agree with you in that and since i moved to Regina thats 80% of the traffic out of here is the Q400. We do have the AC E190, AC Express CRJ 900, and WJ 737. But i hope Swoop can Add YQM and YQR to their schedule so I can have an easier way of getting home.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 11:22 PM

Ysj

What ever happened to the big announcement that was supposed to take place a couple of months back? I know it is a Boston flight. Nothing since then though. Wonder why?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 1:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The final report of the 2018-2038 Master Plan for the Greater Moncton Romeo LeBlanc International Airport is now available online.

Link:
http://cyqm.ca/yqm-master-plan-2018-2038/

This is a very detailed and comprehensive report. Those who are interested should definitely download and read the document.

Highlights:

1) - Map showing short, medium and long term development goals:

2) - Development timeline:

3) - New NavCan ATC tower (a short term priority), probably to be located immediately to the west of the current tower.

4) - Expansion of short and long term parking facilities, including relocation of the overflow parking lot adjacent to the terminal building. All totalled, there will be about 500 new parking stalls.

5) - Expansion of the terminal building, especially the post security area. There are three possible options that are being considered. Two of these options include expanding the post security mezzanine level, and reconfiguring and relocating the boarding bridges so that they will be accessed from this second level (rather than the main level as they are currently). All three options include creation of a new covered walkway onto the tarmac (from the main level) to help protect passengers boarding smaller planes not using the boarding bridges.

OPTION ONE:

Note that option one includes reconfiguring the current bar on the mezzanine so that it is accessed from the post security level (rather than from the lobby area as it is currently), and also allows for the creation of some new post security concessions I like this concept quite a bit.

OPTION TWO:

With this option, it is the main floor post security level which is expanded. I'm sure this is the cheapest option, but is the least inspired and least forward thinking.

OPTION THREE:

This option does not include a connection to the existing bar, but does allow for new concessions and a possible third boarding bridge to be included in the future.

Personally, I think a blend of options one and three would be ideal, retaining the idea of a post security bar and new concessions and the possibility of a third loading bridge.

Again, I would invite interested individuals to read the full document (link provided above). I've only covered a few of the highlights here.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Oct 29, 2018 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 6:54 PM

Another direct flight to Florida from YYT

Quote:
A new direct flight to Florida from St. John's will start in March, WestJet announced Tuesday.

The Canadian airline is adding a direct flight to Fort Lauderdale, which will start March 11, 2019.

It will operate a limited basis through May 13, 2019.
This makes 3 Floridian cities with direct flights from St. John's. Tampa, Orlando and now Fort Lauderdale.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...tjet-1.4883923

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:13 AM

I hope that Moncton can attract WestJet Swoop, Flair Air as well as Canada Jetlines when it takes off. Also it would give me more options out of Regina if that would be the fact. Plus also attract a US carrier that would have a non stop flight to the states with either Delta, American or to have United back.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 7:05 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I just noticed that those maps from the GMIA show the airport owning the triangle of land between the rail spur, Route 2 and Route 15.

Probably a pretty valuable piece of real estate given the level of visibility from two highways.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 7:06 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I just noticed that those maps from the GMIA show the airport owning the triangle of land between the rail spur, Route 2 and Route 15.

Probably a pretty valuable piece of real estate given the level of visibility from two highways.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Indeed.

According to the timetable listed above, CYQM wants a new interchange with Highway 11/15 by 2024-28.

If they're successful, and it is a full interchange, this would open up this triangle of land for future development and this could provide CYQM with a tidy income to help fund future expansions at the airport.

I did up this fanciful drawing earlier this year:

You can see how a commercial development on this triangle of land would have tremendous visibility from two of the busiest highways in Atlantic Canada and would also have easy rail and air access at the same time!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 9:50 PM
I Rise Again

The old Keddy's lands was already sold so we'll have to see what they do with that land I guess.
https://paol.snb.ca/paol.html?v=1.0....n&pan=02247357

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 5:09 PM

I was in the Saint John airport recently and was quite impressed with the latest improvements both inside and out. Also pleasantly surprised with the artwork as well. Good job YSJ !

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 1:30 AM

Any sign of the missing Boston Terrier?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habskilla View Post
Any sign of the missing Boston Terrier?
🤔🤣 I didn’t spot one lol.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 5:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Recent tweet on the CYQM site:

Quote:
Once again, #MonctonYQM’s October passenger numbers are up thanks to great results from our partner airlines @AirCanada, @PorterAirlines and @WestJet. Overall, we’re up 6.7% over October 2017 and 4% year to date!
So, a 4% increase YTD shows CYQM still flirting with a 700k PAX figure for the 2018 calendar year (projected 692,255)

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 18, 2018 at 5:45 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces