HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:26 AM

That picture reminds me, I need to make a chiropractor appointment.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 9:24 PM

Judging by the webcam, they're working on the west side of the crown today.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 11:10 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith_atx View Post
Judging by the webcam, they're working on the west side of the crown today.
All of the glass is up around the south and east sides, too. It also looks like there is a glass rail/parapet going around the perimeter of the main roof. Could it be that there's a "public" (building occupants) space up there after all?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 2:04 AM

Maybe someone could fire up their drone to get a better look?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Yes I will head downtown again one of these days. I really want to get a Picture once the top is fully done

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 4:44 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

The crown is looking better than I expected from the renderings which made it seem like it was just a huge chain link fence. Got a good look at the side that's up Thursday night.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Here are a few from this morning. The rest are here: https://imgur.com/a/7kT4DBd

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 8:01 PM

Awesome pics, thanks.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 9:22 PM

haha, my mom saw your drone this morning from her window while we were on the phone. Great shots!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 9:31 PM

Very cool. I wonder if that's the big water tank/mass damper inside the concrete walls.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:00 AM

So everyone is going to give Gensler a hard time abou the poverty siding on their Third and Shoal parking podium, but not when it's used to cap the Independent?

The Independent is probably my favorite building in downtown Austin and one of the very few that has an interesting design, but c'mon... This crown is pretty disappointing right???

Last edited by futures; Jul 16, 2018 at 2:13 AM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
So everyone is going to give Gensler a hard time abou the poverty siding on their Third and Shoal parking podium, but not when it's used to cap the Independent?

The Independent is probably my favorite building in downtown Austin and one of the very few that has an interesting design, but c'mon... This crown is hugely disappointing right???
I'm scratching my head on the way the crown looks. We can all agree, that is NOT glass. I'm hoping there's a good reason for using this material, and not because it was a cheap alternative. This could work if the cement and metal components on the inside are painted, and if the screen like covering acts like a diffuser for some nifty lighting effects. The Austonian used better materials on their crown and I don't much care for it either. As far as crowns go, Frost set the bar incredibly high and probably won't be beat. I think the crown on the Independent might end up looking ok, we'll have to wait and see.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post

The Independent is probably my favorite building in downtown Austin and one of the very few that has an interesting design, but c'mon... This crown is pretty disappointing right???
Yes, and the over the top Gensler trolling that happened after the architect joined SSP is one of the most disappointing moments in my time on SSP. Everyone is entitled to their opinion about architecture since it is art. But it went too far.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Yes, and the over the top Gensler trolling that happened after the architect joined SSP is one of the most disappointing moments in my time on SSP. Everyone is entitled to their opinion about architecture since it is art. But it went too far.
Yes, the excessive dislike for the building threw away an opportunity to chat with the architect, I feel bad that I stated my opinion on the building with some not so nice words and have apologized privately to George.

All of our bickering wasn’t going to change anything, I have learned to accept that Third and Shoal will always be an interesting design that I still don’t like but will bear.

The siding in the Independent is used in a much smaller displacement that it is on Third and Shoal, I don’t mind it at all, the building as a whole looks good, I am trying to keep my comments positive and think before I type, I’m not a child so I shouldn't act as such when I don’t get what I want.

To sum up, both Third and Shoal and the Independent are nice building overall but have flaws that I will overlook because more than likely, they will never be changed, it’s not worth complaining about.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:54 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Okay this is what I think. The way the crown looks from the ground is different from how it looks in those drone pics. I did say it looked better than I thought the renderings made it out to be which looked like chain link fencing, however it can't be denied that from those shots, it does kinda look like chain link fencing, or more accurately like window screen. I will go DT tomorrow and take a look at it again since it was dark when I saw it Thursday but I kinda think the crown has a different look to it when viewed from the ground. Not as easy to see through it compared to the drone pics. Thanks for taking them by the way Austexdeveloment.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Yes I agree and I was the main culprit. I too apologized in private. I hope my above post didn't come across too negatively. It was not my intent.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Oh please, I'm sorry but I have to disagree. There was nothing over-the-top about the criticism the building received on this forum. Just because we were chatting with one of the architects didn't mean we had to play nice. Architects are used to this kind of criticism, but I believe that Blume's (or whoever it was) handling of it was what was a disappointing moment.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 3:28 PM

Back to the crown:
Would definitely want to withhold judgement until it's finished on all sides. The mesh will look even less transparent once all four sides are up.
The likeliest explanation for the mesh is cost. But the close second is the fact that the crown will have high wind load, and the trusses would have to be heavily reinforced in order to support the glass. Which I guess is still cost, but as a buyer I would be happy not to pay it.
Yes, there's a slosh tank up there.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Oh please, I'm sorry but I have to disagree. There was nothing over-the-top about the criticism the building received on this forum. Just because we were chatting with one of the architects didn't mean we had to play nice. Architects are used to this kind of criticism, but I believe that Blume's (or whoever it was) handling of it was what was a disappointing moment.
I'm with you. Why can't we truthfully opine here? I don't expect anyone here to self censor their architectural thoughts. We aren't tweens bullying each other on Facebook (or maybe we are?) Through the critiques, I've learned SO much more about design/construction/form/materials/glass/history/compatibility than I have from glowing praise. Austin is weak compared to many other cities, in my view, because we don't have the REAL money of other cities. That will change in time, but it might not happen in my lifetime.

I'm not okay with always saying nice things to make people feel good. Not okay with being a dick either, but I don't recall anyone crossing that line in this case.

No one wants to chase people away. If that was Gensler, they did a good job getting their point across, albeit a little dramatically, and I think we all saw another point of view. That being said, they don't owe us anything....and can be as dramatic as they wish. Talented artists tend to have a flair for drama, that's ok with me.

I've had to make decisions I was not proud of in designing/building my own home due to money, but even more due to city or lot/tree constraints. It's hard, for sure.

All that said, If this is the final iteration of the Independent crown......so far.....I'm disappointed. Very happy to have this building, and I defend it all the time to anyone who will listen, I just hoped for more......drama!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78701 View Post
Yes, there's a slosh tank up there.
What a great read. Not sure how I missed that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin