HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
because people will find it too hard to walk the block or two?
how many people actually go to the hospital via transit? maybe workers, but that's a very small portion. if you're a patient, get a ride or take the taxi.

and yes, it's two blocks.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 3:00 AM

i was being sarcastic

hehe

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 5:10 AM
Registered

Wasnt there mention of a new road network being built in the False Creek flats area, actually closer to Strathcona Park ? With the hospital moving there it would be necessary.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i was being sarcastic

hehe
oh, okay lol. sorry. :p

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 7:38 AM

i saw a plan somewhere once for that area - it showed where they had zoned for car dealerships, roads and buildings etc. i wish i remember where i saw it

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 10:19 AM
See ya down under, mates

I was born in St. Paul's so of course would be sad to see it go (always been fun to think "I was born right there" while driving through the heart of Vancouver), but a Main/Terminalish hospital wouldn't be so bad.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 1:38 PM

Keep the downtown campus for the basic essentials (emergency facilities, etc.).

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 4:09 PM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitc View Post
What I would like to see is a "offshoot" mini skytrain right into the new hospital from Main Street station...wonder if this is possible.
More economically, they could build one of those moving walkways that are so popular at major airports these days. That would make the walk more manageable for those who are mobility-challenged --

And no, not all of them can drive or get a ride to the hospital.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 4:28 PM
Site 8 Lives

I tend to disagree with those who feel that West End residents need their own hospital. Afterall, a hospital is not a neighbourhood amenity or privilege. They tend to be institutions that serve an entire city.

And with that being said, Vancouver General is only a five minute drive from downtown Vancouver -- while UBC Hospital and Lions Gate Hospitals are roughly 15-20 minutes from downtown. So this is an area that is very well served already.

The False Creek Flats location, in my opinion, makes good sense -- and could be the catalyst for like-minded industries to set up close to it (ie biotech, pharmaceutical, medical clinics, seniors care, etc).

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 9:16 PM

Even if St. Paul's moves, care centre would stay

Dianne Doyle says area would 'continue to need . . . some services delivered from this site'

John Bermingham
The Province

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

VANCOUVER - The head of St. Paul's Hospital says that even if it moves to False Creek, there will be some kind of care centre left on the existing Burrard site.

"Our belief is that there would continue to need to be some services delivered from this site," Dianne Doyle, president of Providence Healthcare, told The Province yesterday.

"[It's] unlikely that it will be anything that requires any of the duplication of the services that we might build on a new site." Doyle said she would prefer to rebuild the 133-year-old St. Paul's on a new site at Station and Prior streets.

"You can build faster, you can get the kind of design that you want and the costs are cheaper," she said.

Doyle said she wants an urgent-care centre, with services for seniors, people with HIV/AIDS and drug users built at the current site at Burrard and Comox streets.

"That is a vision that we would be taking forward," she said. "It is at the discussion stage." B.C. Health Minister George Abbott, appearing at the opening of a $1.2-million, fast-track emergency room at St. Paul's, said Providence and Vancouver Coastal have still to work out what kind of care remains at the Burrard site.

"There would be questions about whether this site should have some emergency facilities," he said. "I don't think it's something that's going to happen quickly. We're probably talking a project that would be a billion dollars plus." Abbott said the new fast-track facility will deal with minor injuries in under two hours, with dedicated rooms for infants and kids, eye, ear, nose, throat and gynecology.

Abbott said a 22-year-old soccer player can be treated and discharged quicker than a senior who may have had a stroke.

"It frees up the emergency personnel to spend more time with the people who one suspects may have those kinds of issues," he said.

St. Paul's has already reduced its overall emergency wait times 22 per cent, to a maximum of 12 hours, two hours short of its target of 10.

Aaron Jasper, chair of the Save St. Paul's Coalition, wants a fully staffed emergency room left at the current site of St. Paul's for the downtown core's 90,000 residents.

"We need a full emergency ward in the downtown core, not just an urgent-care centre," said Jasper. "Those essential services need to stay." jbermingham@png.canwest.com

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...c-24a033365d77

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 10:03 PM
loafing in lotusland

12 HOURS WAIT TIME!!!!!

So... if making a new hospital will shave wait times by a few hours, by making things more efficient, then why would anyone care if it's an extra few minutes by taxi or ambulance or car or even BUS!

12 hours is ridiculous! Putting things in perspective, the New St. Paul's will have shorter wait times and BETTER service.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 4:56 AM

wtf???? a 12 hour wait time?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 3:32 AM

Please get it out of the downtown. That way I can go a whole night without being woken up by 120 decibel sirens from their ambulances. One Sunday morning I counted 7 times between 3 AM and 8 AM...

The number of times Burrard Street is EMPTY and they still use the siren infuriates me. In parts of the US, they are restricted to 55 decibels in residential areas, not here.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 12:32 PM

double post

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
Please get it out of the downtown. That way I can go a whole night without being woken up by 120 decibel sirens from their ambulances. One Sunday morning I counted 7 times between 3 AM and 8 AM...

The number of times Burrard Street is EMPTY and they still use the siren infuriates me. In parts of the US, they are restricted to 55 decibels in residential areas, not here.
i live literally across the street from VGH emergency and have sirens AND helicopters coming and going at all hours, but i don't think either have woke me up.

correct placement of the hospital should matter more than potentially annoying people with sirens, etc. even with the false creek location what about all the existing condos in the area, and potential new ones being developed?

there will always be people living near hospitals no matter where you locate them, so don't base hospital placement on that.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 4:36 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:

So... when you chose the place, did you fail to notice the hospital?

Just teasin' ya man...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
So... when you chose the place, did you fail to notice the hospital?

Just teasin' ya man...
Good point! I agree. I've been there for over 2 years. However, the last few months have seen what seems like an exponential increase in night-time siren noise.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 2:06 AM

Quote:

Aren't there better things to do between the hours of 3 and 8 AM other than standing, sitting, or lying there with a decibel meter in hand counting the number of times one hears sirens?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 5:17 PM
loafing in lotusland

^^^ What?! I couldn't hear you, could you repeat that?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 3:37 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Wow, even Portland has 3 major hospitals ringed around its downtown, which only has about 40-50,000 residents in those neighborhoods. Luckily, none of them are going to move...

The issue you guys face sounds a bit like what a smaller town in Oregon faced (Eugene) - a hospital in downtown wanted more land to expand, and ended up building in a flood plain. Interestingly, they kept open their old hospital - even though they said they'd close it, and a third hospital from another company was built. So a city of 150,000 ended up with 3 hospitals... 2 of them are about 5 miles from downtown on the very fringe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues