HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 6:19 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...re-1359576.php

Looks like HEB is seriously considering a DT store. This article also alludes to a potential condo development at Durango and S. St Mary's, where the univision station currently is.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 6:04 PM

from mysa.com

http://www.mysanantonio.com/mediaMan...628&height=471

Just ignore the plumes of smoke, firetrucks and water...

This is the building (under construction of course) that is being built where Audrys was....
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 4:14 AM
Closed account

Hey guys, I'm looking for a photo thread of SA. I'm curious to know what the cityscape looks like.

Thanks.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking for a photo thread of SA. I'm curious to know what the cityscape looks like.

Thanks.
I would like to think my flickr and panoramio pages are pretty good photo threads of SA

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 3:32 PM
Meh

There's a new San Antonio photo thread in the main section by stepper77. Have a look:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=191128

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 3:44 PM

Are they demolishing the convention center???? I see a fence has been put up around it! I would have like to photograph it more before they started this.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 4:13 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Are they demolishing the convention center???? I see a fence has been put up around it! I would have like to photograph it more before they started this.
I think they're just adding a loading dock or something small. Hemisfair has about $20 million already, but I think funds for the big things like tearing down the convention center will be in the next bond. In any case they don't have the money for it now.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
I believe for now they are only demolishing that small entrance portion to make room for more parking. Eventually preliminary plans for Hemisfair call for the demolition of the older half of the convention center.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 11:32 PM

Does the older part of the convention center include the part of the building with the big mosaic facing the river walk?

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Does the older part of the convention center include the part of the building with the big mosaic facing the river walk?

That is the Lila Crockell theatre which just got a makeover so I highly doubt that section will be razed.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 6:43 PM
Liberator.

Location: San Antonio,(born) Arlington Heights, Ill.(Chicagoland)
San Antonio Renaissance

I was downtown today and I noticed that the city seems to be undergoing somewhat of a transformation and renaissance on Houston Street. A new Starbuck's has now opened at the corner of St. Mary's and Houston. In addition, Brazil de Texas, Embassy Suites, Luke Restaurant, Le Midi, and Marriot TownPlace Suites have all opened shop as well. It also seems that all of these places have gone up within the last year or so. I think that it is also a good idea to start developing not just along the Riverwalk, but up and away from it so that the entire downtown can become more a desirable place to live. Way to go, Mayor Castro!

Go Spurs (NBA) , Go Talons (arena football) , Go Scorpions (soccer) , Go UTSA Roadrunners (college football) , Go Rampage (hockey)

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 8:56 PM
Liberator.

Location: San Antonio,(born) Arlington Heights, Ill.(Chicagoland)
Wouldn't it be great if San Antonio had a big name architect like I.M. Pei or SOM (Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill) of Dallas or Philip Johnson of Houston build here. Too bad they're not around anymore, except for SOM, so that either of them can build for San Antonio, since we are quickly becoming a burgeoning city of more than a million people, the 2nd largest city in the state after Houston, and the 7th largest metropolis in the nation. However, two of my favorite architects, of whom both are still living, have just completed architectural works of art in New York City (8 Spruce Street) and Mexico City (Museo Soumaya), respectively. The two architects that I wish would build for San Antonio are Frank Gehry and/or Fernando Romero.

Here are their finished masterpieces!!!

New York City/8 Spruce Street/Frank Gehry/2011:

Mexico City/Museo Soumaya/Fernando Romero/2011:

Images removed by Admin - Max, photos on the forum need to be properly credited. This means posting a link to the page where you found them. Uploading them to your Photobucket account is not good enough.

Forum rules

Go Spurs (NBA) , Go Talons (arena football) , Go Scorpions (soccer) , Go UTSA Roadrunners (college football) , Go Rampage (hockey)

Last edited by max7; May 28, 2011 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 4:20 AM
Endless Moments...

TOBIN CENTER FOR PERFORMING ARTS COULD INCLUDE PARKING GARAGE, APARTMENTS, AND MORE

Check out the link for the story. I like the fact they talked about apartments and mixed use. Would be awesome with its close proximity to the river, river north, and Broadway...

thanks to sirkingwilliam for the url...
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Last edited by Complex01; Jun 5, 2011 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 9:10 PM

I think this is a very good location to build a mix used building. Every time I pass by this intersection on Broadway, I always picture a mid/high rise apartments on this corner.

I hope it gets pulled through, because it would not only bring life to this side of the Alamo, but amplify the need for more local amenities downtown.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 10:21 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

The mixed-use side of it is nice of course, but what's really crucial for the success of the Tobin Center is the actual parking itself. If you've ever attended an event at Municipal Auditorium, you know what a hassle parking can be. There are a few surface lots nearby, but most nearby parking is street parking, which can be almost all the way up Avenue B if it's a big event. Having a large garage 1 block away will be an important factor in how successful the center will be, especially as that part of downtown becomes more dense in the future.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 5:40 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

IMO, broadway inside the central loop should be lined with mid rise and some high rise parking garages with mixed use wrapped around them.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 12:15 AM
Endless Moments...

There is so much potential for Broadway. You know the distance between Pearl and Downtown is really not all that far. If you had stuff all along the way, walking would be awesome. Thats what i would like to see...

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 7:59 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Brewery Proposed for East Side

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...or-1424275.php

I saw a blurb about this on the Plaza de Armas website a while ago, but I didn't realize the proposal for Alamo Beer to build on the East Side was this far advanced. This would be amazing for the Hays St area. Hopefully the city will have the good sense to co-operate with Alamo Beer and not stand in the way.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 12:53 PM
Endless Moments...

Wow that be kewl. Party. There should be a tall brewery tower with it. He he...

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 1:40 PM

I don't know, in a way I'd rather the city not cooperate and let them build the brewery and parking lot on one lot vs. having a large parking lot and squatty building.... unless there is a long(er) term plan for the lot, like build a small garage with some store frontage along Burnet.
This alone won't ignite revitalization, but it'll sure help. There is no substitute for higher densities.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio