HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 6:06 AM
Closed account

Does the HDRC have any real power? Doesn't the city council make the final decision?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
While you have a point there OMS, I just don't see the need to shoot this down. Why don't they let this pass through. I mean, it really won't stick out as much as they say it is going to and we all know that. They can use the whole block-is-short card, but you can't just ignore the fact the taller Drury is across the street.
I never said shoot it down. Quite the opposite. I said HDRC might have a point that is fundamentally valid, but in light of the surrounding development and the committee's prior "work", using their advice would be less advantageous for downtown.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 9:24 AM

I few pics I took this past weekend when visiting a friend staying at the Holiday inn on Riverwalk. Took this pics around 8am on the way back to my car.

New Walgreens building.

View from the 24th floor.

2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 9:51 AM

Construction site of new Embassy and San Lorenzo Pizza, heh. These to projects will add more density to the area.

Vistana-Frost

2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Feb 18, 2009 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 9:56 AM

Thanks for the pics. SA looks slightly under the weather in those.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I never said shoot it down. Quite the opposite. I said HDRC might have a point that is fundamentally valid, but in light of the surrounding development and the committee's prior "work", using their advice would be less advantageous for downtown.
I wonder if the HDRC were around in the early 1900's, would we have the Emily Morgan, NIX, or the Tower Life building?
I bet those stuck out alot worse in those days.
And really a fish market?? So in 100 years every HEB will not be able to be demo'd?
We already see what would happen if the city were to try to demo what people thought was truly historical; we all saw or read about the whole Market Square and La Villita. But history does not have to be rewritten by these 10 people. I think someone mentioned here before; if it is historical, include it in the design somehow (kinda like the little theatre section of the Whitacre Tower) put a placard on it, and move on. I mean think of all the other "historical sites" we have. The Tower; weren't a bunch of houses razed, and some moved to the corner now and used as storage at Hemisfair Park, to make way for the Tower? I wonder if HDRC would've opposed the Tower as well?
I hope the City Council has the final say.......
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by miaht82; Mar 10, 2009 at 8:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 2:30 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
It was about two stories, yes, three tops, why?
Because it was between two taller structures. Torn down and not a 17-story building is under construction.

My point being the HDRC is full of sh-t!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 4:11 PM

The item has been pulled from the HDRC agenda until they can agree and come up with a solution.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99jeep View Post
The item has been pulled from the HDRC agenda until they can agree and come up with a solution.

Good. For now.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 5:23 PM

Yes...the 24th floor of the Holiday Inn...I used to say somebody needed to go up there and take a picture....great view of the GH!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 5:56 PM

I took a couple from the 12th floor and then went to the 24th. I used my camera phone, so pics not so great.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Yeah, Houston St. is ideal for such a conversion. Peds, Buses and a Street car.

Could you image Houston St. lined up with retail like 16th St is?
Can you believe that in Houston there's not a single major street called "San Antonio"? Not even a minor one, as far as I know.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
I vomited a little in my mouth when I read this:

"The character of San Antonio's unique downtown is in part due to the juxtaposition of small and large buildings. The small buildings reinforce the pedestrian scale of the block and allow for light and air at the street and river level."
Aren't there enough surface parking lots downtown for all the air and light one could want?!?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 7:43 PM

San Diego

Hello,
Sorry I have been on a business trip to San Diego. Oh Boy, what a city, I didn't see one building not being utilized. Every block something to do. Condos, condos, and Condos in downtown. Even two condos with fins that look like what the Vidorra was supposed to look like. I guess there was no one in SD to protest them because they got built. I'm catching up on the forum. What is this 24 story building, a hotel or a timeshare? I'm all for it, if fact 24 isn't tall enough. Should be 34! Let me know when the protest is, so I can go, we have to do something before we get another opps on a project just like the Grand Hyatt. Supposed to be 45 stories tall and thin, and instead we get a great wall of texas in the middle of downtown. That design changed over night on all of us.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 8:16 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

We really do need to act. If not us than who?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Hello,
Sorry I have been on a business trip to San Diego. Oh Boy, what a city, I didn't see one building not being utilized. Every block something to do. Condos, condos, and Condos in downtown. Even two condos with fins that look like what the Vidorra was supposed to look like. I guess there was no one in SD to protest them because they got built. I'm catching up on the forum. What is this 24 story building, a hotel or a timeshare? I'm all for it, if fact 24 isn't tall enough. Should be 34! Let me know when the protest is, so I can go, we have to do something before we get another opps on a project just like the Grand Hyatt. Supposed to be 45 stories tall and thin, and instead we get a great wall of texas in the middle of downtown. That design changed over night on all of us.
San Diego has a awesome downtown, been there twice.

I actually like the Grand Hyatt, yea, it's not the original proposed sleek 50 story, the overwhelming size, colors and glass do the trick for me.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 8:48 PM
James

Well since it was pulled from today's meeting, someone needs to find out when this is being reviewed so some of us can go the meeting and stand up for it. I'm tired of complaining, it's time to act against this organizations' power and bring it down a bit.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Well since it was pulled from today's meeting, someone needs to find out when this is being reviewed so some of us can go the meeting and stand up for it. I'm tired of complaining, it's time to act against this organizations' power and bring it down a bit.
Maybe you can contact the developer expressing your intent to organize people in SUPPORT of the building, and ask them where your lobbying efforts would best be spent. They probably know who needs some arm twisting. I agree it looks like a great building for SA's downtown, tall and thin and seems to preserve the street-level ambiance nicely.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 10:37 PM
James

I sent an email asking them where support could be best presented or sent. Hopefully we can officially do something.

Last edited by jaga185; Feb 19, 2009 at 5:30 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 11:25 PM

Wow...

A little publicity and it gets pulled from the agenda. Good idea to get this on the Downtown Blog.

Does anyone know the significance of the fish building?

There really doesn't look like there's much you can do with it besides maybe opening a giant seafood restaurant to bring back those old smells.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio