HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 1:26 PM

Claiborne Towers

I read an article last week that Claiborne Towers (ugly building in the new UMC footprint along the Claiborne overpass) is going to be demolished soon. I want to post the article here but I can't seem to find it any more. Does anyone have any info on it?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 2:46 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpatel View Post
I read an article last week that Claiborne Towers (ugly building in the new UMC footprint along the Claiborne overpass) is going to be demolished soon. I want to post the article here but I can't seem to find it any more. Does anyone have any info on it?
A few posts ago someone posted a link to a news segment on it being demolished. The bid for tearing it down has already been awarded.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 4:49 AM
-

ZONING DOCKET 16/11 - Request by DSW INNS, LLC AND DRURY SOUTHWEST, INC. for the rescission of Ordinance No. 11,631 MCS, a Conditional Use to permit a parking garage providing non-accessory off-street parking spaces, and a waiver of height in a CBD-1 Central Business District on Square 232, Lots 1A, 1B, 2 or 5, 3 or 6, 4, 4 or 7, 5 or 8, 6 or 9, Rear Lot 9, Lots 10 thru 13, Pt Lots 14 and 15, 15, 16, 17, 27, alley, common alley or yard or court, and two undesignated lots, in the First Municipal District, bounded by Poydras, Carondelet, Lafayette and Baronne Streets. The municipal addresses are 810-20 POYDRAS STREET AND 505-51 CARONDELET STREET. (ZBM C-14/PD 1A)

Does this mean that Drury Inn and Suites is building a parking garage on the surface parking lot?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Drury Inn seeks $16M in bond backing for expansion

Developers are seeking $16 million in bond backing from the Industrial Development Board to expand the Drury Inn and Suites in the Central Business District. The expansion will include 60 hotel rooms, a 225-space parking lot, meeting space and an enclosed swimming pool.

Representatives of the Missouri-based ownership will present their pitch at Tuesday’s IDB meeting. The expansion of the property at 820 Poydras St. will toward the back corner of Lafayette and Carondelet streets.

Developers have set a project budget of $15.45 million and say the job will employ 120 people during construction with a payroll of $6.18 million. Once completed, the larger hotel will add 12 permanent jobs with a payroll in excess of $422,000.

Construction is expected to begin March 1, 2011, and completed Sept. 1, 2012

Posted this a while back. Looks like they are adding on additional rooms plus a garage.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 4:26 PM
-

I always get confused when they use parking lot-parking garage interchangeably as a lot seems to me to mean surface parking and garage means elevated. Obviously with the numbers it must be multilevel. Are the rooms and pool going to be on top of the garage? Nice to see another surface lot on Poydras bite the dust!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 4:48 PM

Tulane Avenue

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2...as_the_mi.html

Interesting page about Tulane Avenue from Nola.com. After seeing the pictures, I'm more convinced than ever that the streetcars should be returned to the street. I don't see a tremendous need for the street to have 3 lanes in both directions. 2 lanes with a landscaped grass neutral ground and streetcar tracks running down the middle would boost property values and increase investment. The line could start at the new line on Loyola/Tulane Avenue, turn North on Carrollton, and connect with the existing line at Carrollton/Canal Street.

Furthermore, with the influx of residents lately and in the future, I could even see parades able to be routed down the re-transformed street.

Last edited by Blitzen; Apr 19, 2011 at 5:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 5:57 PM

Magazine / Sophie B Wright / St Andrew

The building of my dreams at this intersection now has a construction fence and a sign for BlitchKnevel on it....I can't find and plans on their site though.

Unfortunetly I don't have a pocket book of my dreams so it's not me doing it...

And it is the whole building that is being redone apparently (it's really two buildings with one facade). Everything except the turqoise building to the far left (which is itself for sale).

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...12.74,,0,-5.91

Last edited by IceCream; Apr 19, 2011 at 5:59 PM. Reason: correct link

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 6:32 PM

I walked by the old huge Dixie Welding building on Annunciation and Poeyfarre and asked a construction worker inside what it was going to be. He responded that it was going to be a steakhouse, just wanted to pass this along. Seems pretty big for a steakhouse unless part of the building will be used for parking. I know some of you had looked up the construction company, McCarty, and found that they built many restaurants in the past. That whole area has seen quite a lot of progress over the past 2 years. 927 Poeyfarre Apartments, Constance Lofts, Poeyfarre Market opening, soon, St. Joe Lofts, WWII expansion, etc.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 6:40 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
The building of my dreams at this intersection now has a construction fence and a sign for BlitchKnevel on it....I can't find and plans on their site though.

Unfortunetly I don't have a pocket book of my dreams so it's not me doing it...

And it is the whole building that is being redone apparently (it's really two buildings with one facade). Everything except the turqoise building to the far left (which is itself for sale).

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...12.74,,0,-5.91
Ive seen a rendering of the project somewhere? But yes it will be great to see that corner redone.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 6:46 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
I walked by the old huge Dixie Welding building on Annunciation and Poeyfarre and asked a construction worker inside what it was going to be. He responded that it was going to be a steakhouse, just wanted to pass this along. Seems pretty big for a steakhouse unless part of the building will be used for parking. I know some of you had looked up the construction company, McCarty, and found that they built many restaurants in the past. That whole area has seen quite a lot of progress over the past 2 years. 927 Poeyfarre Apartments, Constance Lofts, Poeyfarre Market opening, soon, St. Joe Lofts, WWII expansion, etc.
Was planned to be a PF Changs but they changed it. So not sure what it is going to be now... possibly a Sullivans or a Del Friscos... Del Friscos uses enormous spaces.

Contact info for the Construction Company, maybe someone can give them a call to find out what they are building?
Our office information:McCarty Construction, Inc.

Phone: (770) 447-4332

Fax: (770) 447-4627

BTW saw that Thailand has a consulate next to my condo on Julia and Commerce now.

Is this Teleplex Building on UNO Campus still happening?

http://www.blitchknevel.com/index.ph...leans-teleplex

Is this project happening?

http://www.eskewdumezripple.com/pdf/...zineStApts.pdf

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 19, 2011 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 8:31 PM

Another article mentioning Gibbs plan for that Poydras/Baronne area.

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gamb...nt?oid=1686260

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 9:41 PM

Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
That would be sweet....it would get rid of another nasty vacant lot on Magazine and really help revitalize that lower end. That's only a block from the renovation that i pointed out a post or two ago so maybe that will help speed it along.

I wouldn't mind living down there (i'm currently off of upper magazine). Check out Garden District Pub (GDP) if you want a chill place to get a beer. It's just a few doors down from the buildings i mentioned.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 11:30 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Interesting page about Tulane Avenue from Nola.com. After seeing the pictures, I'm more convinced than ever that the streetcars should be returned to the street. I don't see a tremendous need for the street to have 3 lanes in both directions. 2 lanes with a landscaped grass neutral ground and streetcar tracks running down the middle would boost property values and increase investment. The line could start at the new line on Loyola/Tulane Avenue, turn North on Carrollton, and connect with the existing line at Carrollton/Canal Street.
I'd rather see a light-rail line (like streetcars, but faster, bigger vehicles and with fewer stops at only major streets). The light-rail line would start at Canal/Rampart and then head out towards Metairie. At Tulane/Claiborne, it would split. One branch would head out Tulane Avenue while the other would head out Claiborne. They would rejoin near Metairie Country Club and then split again, with one branch heading toward the airport and the other heading up Causeway/Severn to the Lakeside area. (Future extensions to Federal City in Algiers and UNO)

Quote:
That would be sweet....it would get rid of another nasty vacant lot on Magazine and really help revitalize that lower end. That's only a block from the renovation that i pointed out a post or two ago so maybe that will help speed it along.
No, it's not happening. Gibbs hired EDR to design the Magazine Street project in the post-Katrina boom, but later decided to do 930 Poydras instead.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Was planned to be a PF Changs but they changed it. So not sure what it is going to be now... possibly a Sullivans or a Del Friscos... Del Friscos uses enormous spaces.

Contact info for the Construction Company, maybe someone can give them a call to find out what they are building?
Our office information:McCarty Construction, Inc.

Phone: (770) 447-4332

Fax: (770) 447-4627

BTW saw that Thailand has a consulate next to my condo on Julia and Commerce now.

Is this Teleplex Building on UNO Campus still happening?

http://www.blitchknevel.com/index.ph...leans-teleplex

Is this project happening?

http://www.eskewdumezripple.com/pdf/...zineStApts.pdf
If it would have been a P.F. Chang's I would be a happy man. I live around the corner and think that'd be a great addition to the area.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 2:33 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
If it would have been a P.F. Chang's I would be a happy man. I live around the corner and think that'd be a great addition to the area.
Sorry that the PF Changs didnt happen but I dont think it would have used enough of the space and Im assuming they want a place that has a more known bar scene too. Im very interested to see how the building is reused... because its enormous for one restaurant.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 3:08 AM

Quote:
That would be sweet....it would get rid of another nasty vacant lot on Magazine.
What vacant lot? It goes straight from being pocket park to old buildings as you go downtown. I was worried this building would go on top of the historic buildings where Jim Russels Records is located.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The light-rail line would start at Canal/Rampart and then head out towards Metairie. At Tulane/Claiborne, it would split. One branch would head out Tulane Avenue while the other would head out Claiborne. They would rejoin near Metairie Country Club and then split again, with one branch heading toward the airport and the other heading up Causeway/Severn to the Lakeside area. (Future extensions to Federal City in Algiers and UNO)
Where does that plan/map come from? Is it something official, or your suggestion for a light-rail plan?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 5:17 AM
TL;DR

Nope, I just whipped it up in Illustrator... it's an idea I've been kicking around, vaguely inspired by Pittsburgh's system. I think it's a decent way to create a regional system that's pretty realistic given the size of our city. It aims to serve the relatively small number of places in Orleans/Jefferson that can support dense development - the Claiborne corridor, Lakeside, the Airline corridor, and the Tulane corridor. The only truly-ambitious part is the river tunnel, but you could design the tunnel so buses and light-rail trams can share it (again, based on a Pittsburgh example).

The pre-Katrina plan for light rail had the tracks running along the Amtrak line into the UPT, which runs in a tight right-of-way between I-10 and a bunch of industrial properties. I dunno if there's enough room there, and besides, it's a terrible place to put a transit line, especially if you want intermediate stations at, say, Broad and Jeff Davis. It would be much better in the median of Tulane. Also, a light-rail line down Claiborne would provide a pretty fast way to get from downtown/medical district to Uptown, Tulane, and Riverbend (~25 min vs ~50 min by St. Charles streetcar).

I'd rather put the LRT down St. Charles itself, but the vintage streetcar there is too important to the city's history and tourism, even if its agonizingly slow and sucks for commutes.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 20, 2011 at 5:31 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 10:27 AM

Just found out that Armani Exchange will open it's first Louisiana store at Lakeside.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 2:06 PM

School Board Auction

http://www.nola.com/education/index....auctionin.html

It makes me happy to see these buildings get turned over to private developers (fingers crossed). I think it's a testament to the private industry that some of the buildings auctioned off last time, such as the one on Carondelet across from Ditcharo's, have already been gutted by the developers, who appear to be full steam ahead on something.

I'm drooling over the old NOCCA building on Perrier. I'm on Perrier but further down a little bit. Such a beautiful building for some nice condos a few blocks from the park. Wish I had a few million to put a bid on it and redo it...

The school on OCH is just in flat out hoooooorrible shape. I'm concerned no one would touch it with a 100 foot pole. The renovation costs must be staggering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations