HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 8:51 PM

Tomahawk Restaurant To Be Taxed Out of Business?

I certainly hope the Tomahawk Restaurant can survive their huge tax bill increase, 'cause I'm out there quite often every month for that fine Yukon breakfast.

Due to a tripling of the property assessment and concurrent tripling of property taxes (apparently amounting to more than $1,000/week), the Tomahawk may be forced to close by December 31, 2010. And that would be a damn shame after 80 years.

Quote:
Tomahawk Chopped?

By Greg Hoekstra - North Shore Outlook
Published: July 21, 2010 11:00 AM
Updated: July 22, 2010 1:38 PM

It’s just before noon on a Tuesday and the Tomahawk Barbecue Restaurant is quickly filling up.

As customers trickle through the door, four young waitresses briskly wipe down the square wooden tables and top-up glass ketchup bottles in anticipation of the lunch rush.

In one corner a man splashes Tabasco sauce on one of the diner’s signature meals — the Chief Dominic Charlie burger — while an elderly customer in another corner gestures toward a table 15 feet away. “That’s where we used to sit,” he tells the members of his party.

For more than 80 years the Tomahawk on Philip Avenue has been an iconic eatery in North Vancouver. Locally, it’s considered to be one of those hidden gems that adds character to the community. And, year after year, the Tomahawk is voted one of the best restaurants in the city.

That’s why owner Chuck Chamberlain is so upset that soaring property taxes may force his business to shut down at the end of 2010. “If things don’t change, we may have to close our doors as early as December 31 of this year,” says Chamberlain. “I simply can’t afford to keep the place open . . . we’d literally be working just to pay taxes.”

Chamberlain says problems first started at the end of last year, when he received a property assessment from B.C. Assessment.

That first assessment, says Chamberlain, looked fairly ordinary. There was a slight increase in his property value, but nothing unexpected. On December 7, however, a second envelope arrived. Assuming it was nothing pressing, Chamberlain set the letter aside, then forgot about it. “I admit, that was my error,” he concedes. “I thought it was just a confirmation or something.”

Turns out the second envelope contained a notice from the Crown corporation warning Chamberlain that his property had been audited and reassessed. “Your 2010 assessment will reflect a significant increase in the value of your property,” reads the letter.

In fact, Chamberlain’s property value jumped nearly 150 per cent from the previous year. The reason, as he understands it, is due to ongoing developments on nearby Marine Drive.

Chamberlain was given until Feb. 1 to appeal the assessment, but because he didn’t see the notice, he missed the window. As a result, his property taxes for this year — which are determined based on property value — have shot through the roof. “I’m paying nearly triple what I was paying last year,” he says. “I basically have to set aside more than $1,000 a week, just for taxes.”

Shelby Alfred, spokesperson for B.C. Assessment, said she couldn’t comment on the Tomahawk case specifically, but agreed that such a hike would be troubling for any business owner. Her suggestion was for Chamberlain to approach the local assessment office about the predicament, but so far Chamberlain says the only option he’s been given is to wait, then apply for an appeal next year.

However, Chamberlain says he’s recently been in touch with District of North Vancouver senior planner Jennifer Patten, after voicing his concerns to a councillor in his restaurant.

Chamberlain says Patten is now looking into ways that the district might be able to lessen his property taxes. One of the options being considered is re-zoning the property, though it involves a lot of red tape. For now, Chamberlain says he remains hopeful that some kind of solution can be found before he is forced out of business.

“I feel puzzled. I don’t know where to turn. I just want to know what avenues are open for me,” he says.

“I understand that there’s development in the area, but I don’t feel it should affect me,” he adds. “We’re a block and a half away from Marine Drive, and we’re not doing what they’re doing.”
http://www.bclocalnews.com/greater_v.../98943789.html

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 8:59 PM

Hell, what gives? The TOMAHAWK is a Vancouver icon ! ! To tax it out of business is selling our soul to the devil

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 9:43 PM

I've never heard of this place. Why?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 10:39 PM

thats too bad

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 11:39 PM

No! This can't be permitted to happen.
3 generations of my family have been going to this restaurant regularly, since the 70's.

I am definitely going to visit the Tomahawk when I'm in town this weekend.
: (

I sure hope that they can negotiate some kind of settlement.
There is a lot of community support for this place, and I simply can't believe that it would be permitted to be taxed out of existence. How the heck is a businessowner, who is fortunate enough to own his or her own piece of property able to operate then? Admittedly it is prime property, but come on... this just isn't right.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 12:04 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Does anybody know how property assessment works? Is it on an individual zoning basis, or is it just the size of the property and structure? If not, could the abundance of housing downtown be driving up property values for commercial properties and consequently driving businesses out of the downtown core?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
I've never heard of this place. Why?
Oh, you have GOT to try it! Diner food the way it is supposed to be; huge breakfasts, HUGER-ER organic beef burgers! So good...

When I played minor hockey (many moons ago), I was first introduced to the Tomahawk during a tourney in NV. Thankfully, our team did quite well, and we went after every game as a reward!

If I didn't live so far away from NV, I'd go every weekend (and probably be 300lbs). I'm SO going to make the trek out there again.

SAVE THE TOMAHAWK!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 4:35 PM

Exclamation support the Tomahawk

Great post! Great advertising!
An idea: Show solidarity by going especially to the Tomahawk in droves, instead of McD-----'- or B----- K---.

The volume of customers will increase their morale, and maybe, just maybe, give them extra reason for NOT being taxed out of business.

Yes, this sounds naïve and simplistic, but this is a REAL Vancouver tradition.
Anything is worth a try.

SUPPORT "THE TOMAHAWK"

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

Great post! Great advertising!
An idea: Show solidarity by going especially to the Tomahawk in droves, instead of McD-----'- or B----- K---.

The volume of customers will increase their morale, and maybe, just maybe, give them extra reason for NOT being taxed out of business.

Yes, this sounds naïve and simplistic, but this is a REAL Vancouver tradition.
Anything is worth a try.

SUPPORT "THE TOMAHAWK"
a better campaign slogan:

"Don't chop The Tomahawk"

Which would look great on a Tee-Shirt

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
a better campaign slogan:

"Don't chop The Tomahawk"

Which would look great on a Tee-Shirt

Yes! Great slogan! At any rate, why not make it a "project" for people (on this forum anyway, and spread the word) to drive out to THE TOMAHAWK to show support and solidarity ... and get one (or more) of their fantastic breakfasts or burgers.

This is a community effort worth participating in; it doesn't cost too much if you're going to eat out anyway, and it's not far from most parts of Vancouver: just a hop, skip, jump over the bridge in lower North Vancouver.

"The Tomahawk .... mmmmmmmmmmm...." (sounds of bacon and cheese sizzling in the background.)

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 6:02 PM

I'm in.
I'm going there for breakfast this Saturday, and at least one more time on my short trip.

All the way from Winnipeg, to support the tomahawk.

Has anyone started a facebook page yet? That seems to be the easiest way to drum up a show of support these days...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 9:29 PM

where is it located?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 1:39 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I'm going to make a special trip out there when I'm back.

I remember when a bunch of friends and I went there to try and consume the infamous Mixed Grill. Quoted from Nardwuar.com, " Nine generous slices of Yukon style bacon, two country fresh fried farm eggs, two slices of Klondike toast, hamburger pattie, cheese, weiner, onions and fresh sliced onions, hashbrowns, salad, served on a 14" platter!"

http://nardwuar.com/tomahawk/t-hawk.html

Three of us got through 2/3 of it. My other friend finished it by licking the plate clean. We were all demolished. It hurt to laugh, we were so full.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
where is it located?
Tomahawk Barbeque Ltd Address:‎

(Placement on map is approximate)
1550 Philip Avenue
North Vancouver, BC V7P2V8, Canada

Get Directions
(604) 988-2612
tomahawkrestaurant.com‎

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

It's in North Vancouver, just below Marine Drive in the lower portion of the city, about a mile West of the built-up area surrounding Lonsdale Avenue.
If you're comng over the Port Mann Bridge, continue straight on, over the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge, then take the first off-ramp heading West along the Lower Road. Go past Lonsdale. It's a small left turn off Marine Drive, down Philip Avenue, one block. Please refer to the GOOGLE reference posted.
Enter: Tomahawk Restaurant, Philip Avenue, North Vancouver. It will come up. // Or simply phone them, or go to the website.
... enjoy!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 8:08 AM

Best bacon in the city!... I don't go often but I think I will soon

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 4:14 PM
testify

Quote:
Hell, what gives? The TOMAHAWK is a Vancouver icon ! ! To tax it out of business is selling our soul to the devil
a vancouver icon? dude, it's not even in vancouver, and i doubt even 1% of vancouverites have heard of the place. still sucks that it's in that spot though

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_from_kamakura View Post
a vancouver icon? dude, it's not even in vancouver, and i doubt even 1% of vancouverites have heard of the place. still sucks that it's in that spot though
......... and a happy cold shower and rubbery Big Mac to you, too ..........

Last edited by trofirhen; Jul 29, 2010 at 5:56 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 5:48 PM

That looks like the least appetizing food I've ever seen in this Country

Gosh, I'm too close to going back to the USA to have something that can only be called American here, too.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
That looks like the least appetizing food I've ever seen in this Country

Gosh, I'm too close to going back to the USA to have something that can only be called American here, too.
I respect your opinion, Yume, but remember: to each his own. There are people out there who would gag on a Japadog !!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 6:01 PM

Quote:
I respect your opinion, Yume, but remember: to each his own. There are people out there who would gag on a Japadog !!
Yeah, well, every civilization has a sure fire way to tell who is an alien.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining