HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 2:17 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Good to hear. I hope to take it before then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Why doesn't Gordo just commit to it permanently, using our carbon tax money he's collecting?
The carbon tax is revenue neutral. There is no extra money being collected that can be distributed.

Is this article accurate? What does the Provincial government have to do with anything? Wasn't the resistance from the federal government (CBSA)?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 4:18 AM

It's been a long time since this has been discussed. I've not seen any additional marketing material regarding this - not that I've been looking out for it - but are there any numbers on how well the service is doing? I'd hate to hear it got cancelled "because of lack of regional support".

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 10:46 AM

both times i've tried to take it on a friday it was sold out. and the other times i've taken it.... it fills up fast atleast once past the 49th

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 11:25 AM

Exclamation railway nostalgia

As a young kid, my mother used to take me to California on the train.
We would change in Seattle. Back then it was the Great Northern, with a mountain goat as a logo, and green and white cars. It thundered through White Rock, and I got no end of joy, as a four year old, seeing freighters in Puget Sound. Then it was a change of train in Seattle and on to family in San Francisco. Memories.... memories ......

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 2:14 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Political_R View Post
I don't think Quebec would be too happy with that. I do want them to fly over Japan but reality is, you need Quebec to get to Montreal and Quebec City, and they want French built trains most likely. If they went Shinkansen, I'd be happy.
I don't think Quebec cares if they're French-built or not. Just like the ROC doesn't care if cars are built in England or an English speaking country.

Quebec sovereignty has far less to do with anything in Paris than people seem to imagine. It's much more local in scope.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 2:16 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmaccdn View Post
both times i've tried to take it on a friday it was sold out. and the other times i've taken it.... it fills up fast atleast once past the 49th
Which makes sense, given the better service levels South of the 49th. They've had two way service for some time now.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 2:56 PM

When you log on to Amtrak's site to book a Van-Sea trip, the bus shows up as both a faster and a cheaper option. That's just sad.

$40-$43 and 4h25m from Vancouver.

Now if I plug in Bellingham for the average Friday night, it's only 2h30m and $25. I can see why it fills up. Bus didn't even come up as an option (maybe it's sold out).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
When you log on to Amtrak's site to book a Van-Sea trip, the bus shows up as both a faster and a cheaper option. That's just sad.

$40-$43 and 4h25m from Vancouver.

Now if I plug in Bellingham for the average Friday night, it's only 2h30m and $25. I can see why it fills up. Bus didn't even come up as an option (maybe it's sold out).
Amtrak has 4 buses leave Vancouver that are direct to Seattle. There is a 5th bus that leaves from Bellingham and meets up with a train in Seattle for Portland. One of the reasons the bus is faster is that it is direct, the train stops in 5 places before getting to Seattle. I've never taken the bus though, so who knows if it ever gets stuck in Seattle Traffic (I bet it's not always on time).

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 9:27 PM

i've taken the bus a few times - the worst part is the border - one passenger can hold up the bus for a very long time if customs questions them or they just are idiots when crossing a border

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i've taken the bus a few times - the worst part is the border - one passenger can hold up the bus for a very long time if customs questions them or they just are idiots when crossing a border
Same problem with the train though right? Even more likely if there are more people on the average train than the average bus.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 10:45 PM

no you pass through customs in vancouver - so all problems are taken care of there - there is a stop at the border where someone checks things out but its pretty quick since all onboard have cleared

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 10:44 PM
Site 8 Lives

From Amtrak today...

SERVICE ADVISORY - PARTIAL BUS SERVICE SUBSTITUTED FOR TRAINS 510, 513, 516, & 517 AUGUST 13-18

Effective August 13-18, Amtrak Cascades travelers on trains 510, 513, 516, & 517 will be transfered to motorcoach (bus) between Bellingham, WA and Vancouver, B.C. due to emergency repairs being made to a drawbridge just north of the Canadian border.

Trains 510, 513, 516 and 517 will operate between Seattle and Bellingham (including intermediate stations) only. Checked baggage will be handled underneath the buses and transferred between trains and buses at Bellingham.

Please plan accordingly for extended delays due to increased border traffic. We apologize for the disruption to our schedule. Repairs to the drawbridge are underway and will be completed as quickly as possible.

For more information and up to date travel advisories, please visit AmtrakCascades.com.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 11:51 PM
Shoebox Dweller

Ha. I was kayaking in White Rock on Sunday and actually saw those emergency repairs. It was on the bridge that goes by the marina, just before it enters Crescent beach. There are still freight trains going across it, but there were quite a few people working on it.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 1:50 AM
loafing in lotusland

It's rarely the American infrastructure that fails on that route.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 4:25 AM

Not too shabby:

Quote:
NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release
2010TRAN0055-000965

Aug. 19, 2010

Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure
Office of the Governor of Washington

RIDERSHIP UP AS 2ND AMTRAK TRAIN MARKS 1ST ANNIVERSARY

VANCOUVER – After one year in operation, the second Amtrak Cascades train to Seattle and Portland has topped its ridership expectations and recorded its best month in July, with nearly 25,000 passengers.

From the day service began Aug. 19, 2009, through July 31, ridership for the second Amtrak Cascades train has totalled more than 221,000.

Ridership on the original train to Vancouver has also increased dramatically, up over 21 per cent compared to 2009.

To encourage even greater ridership between the State of Washington and British Columbia, travellers will be offered a 25-per cent ticket discount on Amtrak Cascades travel to Vancouver during the month of September.
Source: http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_rele...055-000965.htm

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 6:10 AM
Shoebox Dweller

I am so totally taking the train down there in September!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 8:37 AM

cool to hear - never doubted it would be a success

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 4:33 PM
loafing in lotusland

It's a success despite itself! Any improvements to this service will be a huge hit and bring more and more people. No cross-border hassles, no Seattle traffic.

It is a perfect corridor for higher-speed rail and a great recipe to promote cross-tourism. I think Vancouver has more to gain from this than Seattle, to be honest.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
It's a success despite itself! Any improvements to this service will be a huge hit and bring more and more people. No cross-border hassles, no Seattle traffic.

It is a perfect corridor for higher-speed rail and a great recipe to promote cross-tourism. I think Vancouver has more to gain from this than Seattle, to be honest.
I was thinking of heading to Seattle and taking my bike to ride around town there with. I will have to keep this in mind for September.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Ha. I was kayaking in White Rock on Sunday and actually saw those emergency repairs. It was on the bridge that goes by the marina, just before it enters Crescent beach. There are still freight trains going across it, but there were quite a few people working on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
It's rarely the American infrastructure that fails on that route.
it's that good old American "figure out what you gotta do, figure out how you're gonna do it ... and get it done." versus Canadian dithering, discussing, and last-minute patching-up. (when it comes to infrastructure... politics.. medical insurance... that's a totally different story, but not for this thread!!!!)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure