HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 5:36 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Reads a little like an advertisement, but a great read nonetheless about the exciting things going on in SA and confirms my thoughts on SA being the next city to 'pop' in Texas.

San Antonio Wins the Race with Consistency, Diversified Economy

Quote:
The story of the tortoise and the hare can be used to describe the major metros throughout Texas. In recent years, Austin has sprung to life while San Antonio has developed slow and steady. Most recently, however, it appears San Antonio’s office market has received a jolt — the second quarter of 2015 saw three to four times more activity than historic averages indicate — and San Antonio now boasts its lowest vacancy rate since 2008. - See more at: http://rebusinessonline.com/san-anto....5tsjqULa.dpuf

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 5:17 AM

Quote:
It may appear that San Antonio’s recent jump in activity could just be a blimp on the radar. However, with its diversified economy and solid commercial real estate market, this renaissance stands to be much like San Antonio’s historic growth: “steady as she goes.”
that made me laugh

But seriously, blimps aside, people always talk about slow and steady as if San Antonio catches up. It hangs around and a lot is kind of happening, but much more is happening elsewhere. Most of the recent discussions are around government spending/projects and parking garages. Does that sound like winning?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 3:54 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

There's alot more going on in SA than meets the eye. The CBD vacancy rate speaks to that. The renaissance of Pearl, Southtown and Downtown speak to that. And it only makes sense that lower rental rates for both commercial and residential than the other 3 majors in Texas will help to continue driving growth in both the public and private sector. I was laughed at by friends in Austin a few years ago when I made this argument that SA was the best city to invest in real estate.... And here we are 3 years later with developers snapping up properties in central SA, developing/renovating cool projects that end up selling out almost immediately. It may not be an in your face type growth that Austin has experienced, but its healthy growth in all the right places.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
There's alot more going on in SA than meets the eye. The CBD vacancy rate speaks to that. The renaissance of Pearl, Southtown and Downtown speak to that. And it only makes sense that lower rental rates for both commercial and residential than the other 3 majors in Texas will help to continue driving growth in both the public and private sector. I was laughed at by friends in Austin a few years ago when I made this argument that SA was the best city to invest in real estate.... And here we are 3 years later with developers snapping up properties in central SA, developing/renovating cool projects that end up selling out almost immediately. It may not be an in your face type growth that Austin has experienced, but its healthy growth in all the right places.
I don't know, I think there is an imbalance between rental and property to own. Also, the end results and how they fit with the surrounding neighborhood and the lack of retail is a lost opportunity. And, the city should be working on infrastructure projects to improve the streets in these developing neighborhoods.

All that aside, it's nice to see any development in these areas and we'll have to wait to see what comes of it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 11:58 PM

Here's a photo gallery of the inside and outside of the convention center at this time.

It's kinda got a kitschy jet-age retro-futuristic vibe going. I don't hate it. I just wish they took things a little further.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...ted-to.html#g3

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
I don't know, I think there is an imbalance between rental and property to own. Also, the end results and how they fit with the surrounding neighborhood and the lack of retail is a lost opportunity. And, the city should be working on infrastructure projects to improve the streets in these developing neighborhoods.

All that aside, it's nice to see any development in these areas and we'll have to wait to see what comes of it.
What exactly is the office vacancy rate downtown? It seems to be pretty vacant at this point, maybe less so than a couple of years ago but still pretty empty. I work downtown and I have to say that security is probably the biggest thing holding it back (even though the peddlers seem relatively benign to me they really freak out a lot of my office).

As far as the other comments of for sale vs for rent, I feel like that is starting to turn around. Terramark Homes is buying up property like crazy and there are several others doing small townhome projects all around downtown, it doesn't match the rentals popping up and probably won't until the big lots for that type of development are filled. Apartments have been in high demand for a while because people don't have money down, credit, or aren't sure where they will be in a couple of years. I'll also say that I'm in the middle of building an infill SFH and it is a nightmare. The townhome developments are a kind of in between because they can share costs and get trades to come out and finish the group of them together. Getting a crew to reliably show up to finish one house, get the city to inspect it and install services is not for the faint of heart. Get the right GC (I didn't) and it might not be too bad, but there is definitely a reason why the housing being built for sale is so expensive. I'm building in a transitional neighborhood and it's interesting to hear people calling for affordable housing, I just don't see it happening especially with the increase in land prices.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
And I forgot to mention the new pedestrian walkway crossing 37 on Commerce, which was once a car turnaround lane, visible here: https://goo.gl/maps/Qtd9iDzHqBD2

Pretty nifty!
It wasn't a car turnaround, it was a lane to bypass the light at Commerce so vehicles coming off IH 37 northbound had a quick way into downtown. I hate that they removed the car lane. Now everyone has to stop at Commerce light. This will cause back up on to the highway. The opposite of Commerce is wide enough under the bridge for pedestrians to walk. I'm also not a fan of the two way one lane road in between Market and Commerce, its tight, and hard angles. Should have just made it one way with all lanes going south towards the dome.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
It wasn't a car turnaround, it was a lane to bypass the light at Commerce so vehicles coming off IH 37 northbound had a quick way into downtown. I hate that they removed the car lane. Now everyone has to stop at Commerce light. This will cause back up on to the highway. The opposite of Commerce is wide enough under the bridge for pedestrians to walk. I'm also not a fan of the two way one lane road in between Market and Commerce, its tight, and hard angles. Should have just made it one way with all lanes going south towards the dome.
You're thinking like a driver in a minuscule part of this gigantic town where the needs of the pedestrian are being put first. Don't like the tight roads with hard angles? Drive slower, or better yet don't drive there at all. Walk.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 5:41 PM

Quote:
You're thinking like a driver in a minuscule part of this gigantic town where the needs of the pedestrian are being put first. Don't like the tight roads with hard angles? Drive slower, or better yet don't drive there at all. Walk.
your funny spoiler! walk more, LOL. I do plenty, walking around taking photos of the convention center. Walking to UTSA games at the dome. Walking to my office everyday downtown from the parking garage that is blocks away.
My apologies for talking roads instead of skyscrapers, my bad.

Tomorrow supposed to be a nice day, I will be updating Convention Center photos!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 4:22 AM

Just saw on the HDRC agenda that signage for BBVA Compass is proposed atop the Weston Centre. Are they currently in the building or are they moving in? Also sorta looks like they are trying to beat/compete with Frost with having signage high up in the skyline, haha.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 3:27 PM

downtown grocery

I was surprised this wasn't posted yet! Perhaps the biggest downtown news in the last decade.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...ns-6670019.php

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 4:36 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropolis View Post
Just saw on the HDRC agenda that signage for BBVA Compass is proposed atop the Weston Centre. Are they currently in the building or are they moving in? Also sorta looks like they are trying to beat/compete with Frost with having signage high up in the skyline, haha.
They're currently working on a lease.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 5:21 PM

Construction at S. Alamo and S. Flores

Sorry if it's already been addressed, but does anyone know what's occuring on the property across the street from 1901 South Alamo (San Antonio Development Services) building?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 6:37 PM
James

SKW? I've been wondering the same thing as SoFloLiving.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 10:38 PM

I remember reading about it. It's going to be office/retail iirc.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 10:40 PM

Maybe this is what you are referring to?:
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...uth-alamo.html

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Maybe this is what you are referring to?:
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...uth-alamo.html
Thanks, but it's the property closer to San Pedro Creek that started as a retail center years ago, but only got as far as bones (which have since been demolished). I'll try to post a photo tonight. But thanks anyway.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 11:36 PM
James

They are talking about this location. https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4114...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 2:09 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
I remember reading about it. It's going to be office/retail iirc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
They are talking about this location. https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4114...7i13312!8i6656
It's going to be parking for Development Services.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
It's going to be parking for Development Services.
I thought he meant across Flores, not Alamo. But yay, more parking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio