HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 5:42 PM

Allen Plaza Thread

For some time I have been alluding to the fact that the Allen Plaza development is going to be far greater than previously announced - on the scale of the type or quality urbanism that we all hoped Atlantic Station would be, but failed to achieve.

This month's Urban Land magazine provides some tantalizing public details on their nine-block plans for Centennial Hill:
- 2 million sf of office
- 2 hotels (500 total rooms)
- 2,500 - 3,000 residential units (in over a dozen high-rises)
- 200,000 sf of retail

This is consistent with what I've heard about plans to create a very urban neighborhood, on the lines of Portland's Pearl District or Vancouver's West End, including some great ground floor retailers.

The article goes on to note that construction will begin by the end of the year on the Post component, which will include:
- 500 residential units
- 40,000 sf of retail (likely a grocery store)
- 200 room hotel

When coupled with Twelve Centennial, Centennial House, Peachtree Towers, Centennial Park East, and the build-out of the Museum Tower block, I believe that the area will create one of the highest density areas in the Southeast. Best of all, it's will all be within a short walk of two MARTA stations and existing Downtown businesses.

I also hear that plans to redesign Ivan Allen to add trees and on-street parking will be proceeding soon.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Last edited by Terminus; Aug 31, 2006 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 5:51 PM

Good news, Caleb

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 6:18 PM

Awesome. I've been looking forward to the potential of the residential pieces of Allen Plaza. I've been hoping that 12CP and many of the other developments have been selling well. Here is to hoping the next 5 years for DT have been like the last 5 for midtown! (I of course, mean no jealously or ill will to Midtown or Buckhead, I hope they continue to grow as they have been).

Last edited by DonTallPaul; Aug 31, 2006 at 7:06 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 6:26 PM

How exciting! Atlanta is really starting to turn into a bona fide big city.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 6:39 PM

WOW, I can't wait so actually see the plans. Caleb, do you know what firm is designing the buildings, architecturally speaking. I know Pikard Chilton (?) did most of the original designs for what has already been released. I wonder how far 50 AP is from getting some tenants. I'm amazed that they will break ground before the end of the year with the rest of the project.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus
For some time I have been alluding to the fact that the Allen Plaza development is going to be far greater than previously announced - on the scale of the type or quality urbanism that we all hoped Atlantic Station would be, but failed to achieve.

This month's Urban Land magazine provides some tantalizing public details on their nine-block plans for Centennial Hill:
- 2 million sf of office
- 2 hotels (500 total rooms)
- 2,500 - 3,000 residential units (in over a dozen high-rises)
- 200,000 sf of retail

This is consistent with what I've heard about plans to create a very urban neighborhood, on the lines of Portland's Pearl District or Vancouver's West End, including some great ground floor retailers.

The article goes on to note that construction will begin by the end of the year on the Post component, which will include:
- 500 residential units
- 40,000 sf of retail (likely a grocery store)
- 200 room hotel

When coupled with Twelve Centennial, Centennial House, Peachtree Towers, Centennial Park East, and the build-out of the Museum Tower block, I believe that the area will create one of the highest density areas in the Southeast. Best of all, it's will all be within a short walk of two MARTA stations and existing Downtown businesses.

I also hear that plans to redesign Ivan Allen to add trees and on-street parking will be proceeding soon.
I value you're posts and comments, but I don't know if I agree with you that AS has failed to achieve quality urbanism. Just my 2 cents.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utguy9999
I value you're posts and comments, but I don't know if I agree with you that AS has failed to achieve quality urbanism. Just my 2 cents.
OK, quality architecture.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 8:20 PM
100% Right 50% Of Time

Fantastic news Caleb - especially the addition of office space.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 9:27 PM

Fantastic-thanks for the update Caleb. Please continue to follow up on the project as your time and position permits.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 9:54 PM

A dozen high-rises!!! That is great! I drive by those wooden sign holders weekly on two of the lots to see if they've put anything on them...nothing yet, but I hope to see one of these highrises on there soon!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 10:15 PM

I truly hope this plan becomes a reality, but I have to wonder how much of it will actually come to fruition.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
OK, quality architecture.
architecture/construction

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 1:30 AM

Wow, this is big! This is really going to change people's perceptions of Atlanta's CBD as a very low density, narrow and sterile peice of land. Great to hear!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 3:19 AM

Amazing news. The next 5 years or so is going to be very fun to watch. Of course, the inclusion of office space just brings up the age old question of the vacancy rate of downtown and will they be able to find tenants for the office space given that there is already a lot of rentable space. Hopefully with Cousins moving back to downton things will start to pick up so that by the time this new office space is developed, there will be a strong demand for it.

by the way, i'm in DC, well Alexandria VA right now, and there are condo buildings and high rise apartments everywhere. its amazing.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 1:28 PM

Quote:

I heard this was the plan for Ivan Allen blvd and I'm glad its finally happening.

Fantastic news about the scope of the Allen Plaza development!

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Sep 1, 2006 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 2:10 PM

There's an interesting article in today's Daily Report about Barry Real Estate's plans for Allen Plaza. They're trying to acquire the Best Western Inn on West Peachtree. The article also says Barry is in talks with Starwood about possibly putting a W Hotel on the same block as Allen Plaza.

For what it's worth, there's an unrelated article on efforts to redevelop Georgia's closed military bases. It says local officials involved with Fort Mac hope to put together a comprehensive vision for the site next year.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea
There's an interesting article in today's Daily Report about Barry Real Estate's plans for Allen Plaza. They're trying to acquire the Best Western Inn on West Peachtree. The article also says Barry is in talks with Starwood about possibly putting a W Hotel on the same block as Allen Plaza.

For what it's worth, there's an unrelated article on efforts to redevelop Georgia's closed military bases. It says local officials involved with Fort Mac hope to put together a comprehensive vision for the site next year.

I thought that was going to be 45 AP.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLmangum
I thought that was going to be 45 AP.
Correct. Allen Plaza finally put the W in their renderings so I think at this point they've already come to an agreement.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 4:06 PM

This is an updated rendering from the Barry site that shows the W logo on 45 Allen Plaza.
I thought there was a more detailed rendering floating around as well.

http://www.barrycompanies.com/

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketching
This is an updated rendering from the Barry site that shows the W logo on 45 Allen Plaza.
I thought there was a more detailed rendering floating around as well.
Yeah this rendering comes from the Pickard Chilton website.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta