HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 9:14 PM

Why aren't the lots around the cabrini green area super hot now like the west loop? Now that they cleared all the cabrini hirises except for a couple row houses. It seem like it would be a great location. I'm surprised how many empty lots there are on Orleans north of Chicago. There really needs to Division brown line stop there too. It should have been planned as part of the demolition of the hirises to encourage development in that area.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 9:22 PM

Some further north side development news.

1) Two vacant lots at Clark & Lawrence will be developed. They've been vacant for a long time and sit halfway between the new Mariano's and Ravenswood Metra stop and the Wilson Red Line stop. The scale is not known, but it will be mixed use.

http://www.uptownupdate.com/2014/04/...enceclark.html

2) There's a proposal for a 48 unit building on a vacant lot at Montrose & Bernard, which is just west of Kimball. Not pure TOD, but it's 1/2 mile south of the Kimball Brown Line stop. Apparently it's going to be "high end" and mostly 2 bedroom units, but a handful of 1 bedroom units. Rents from $1000 - $1500/month. 1 parking space available per unit.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...park-neighbors

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Why aren't the lots around the cabrini green area super hot now like the west loop? Now that they cleared all the cabrini hirises except for a couple row houses. It seem like it would be a great location. I'm surprised how many empty lots there are on Orleans north of Chicago. There really needs to Division brown line stop there too. It should have been planned as part of the demolition of the hirises to encourage development in that area.
You are aware a big redevelopment plan for the site was unveiled a few months ago, right?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 9:23 PM

^I actually think development is moving at a decent pace considering what was there. There have been a hand full of developments such as the new target and such. There's also been a hand full of proposals for the area in recent months. It might not be as hot as the West Loop but I wouldn't consider the area slow moving either, especially when considering the stigma associated with the old Cabrini.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 9:56 PM

^^^ The problem is that most of that land is city/CHA owned and they aren't exactly great at disposing of vacant parcels.

However, marothisu is correct that a few projects are moving there. Right now Ranquist is moving forward with a big townhome development that will wipe out a whole block of vacant land and New City is taking out a huge superblock of vacant land. I saw the other day that the Ranquist site has been fenced off and a construction trailer delivered to it.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 11:15 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The problem is that most of that land is city/CHA owned and they aren't exactly great at disposing of vacant parcels.
You can say that again.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
You can say that again.
Can and will! And Have!

Anyone even know how Ranquist got their hands on that block to begin with? Did they buy it from the CHA or was it privately owned the whole time and just happened to be surrounded by the projects?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 11:28 PM
TL;DR

Neither. CPS owned the site, it used to be the original Jenner School before CPS built New Jenner to the north. CPS is a little easier to deal with than CHA - they are so cash-strapped, they can't afford to be sitting on excess real estate that they have no use for.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 11:32 PM

Yeah, I was gonna say, CPS is rapidly becoming an expert on dumping unneeded property. Can't wait for those schools to hit the market, I've been eyeing up a few of them.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 11:34 PM
TL;DR

Yeah, me too. I can't wait to see what happens to Trumbull... the best example of Egyptian architecture in the city. Selling condos there would be so dope... "Live like a pharoah!"

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah, me too. I can't wait to see what happens to Trumbull... the best example of Egyptian architecture in the city. Selling condos there would be so dope... "Live like a pharoah!"

When did they make the changes to the roof of Trumball? It would be nice to see this building fully restored.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:07 AM

Yea, I guess I blocked that CHA plan from my mind it looked pretty bad. The city shouldn't be trying to play as housing developers like that. It still is a little vague, I think lots of area were zoned for low density 1-4 stories. I would like to see some more exact numbers from their plan. There's a big difference between 1 story and 4 stories. And is it like the CHA apartments on the southside with surface lots? Or rogers park density 4 stories at least?

I did see a new 5 story building under construction on division near clybourn this weekend that looked promising.

Didn't know that school was Egyptian architecture! Wow, it would be neat to have the top pyramids back.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:44 AM

I always thought of it as more Prairie style since its massing is so reminiscent of the Larkin building. Interesting. Still, I'd say Reebie Storage is a better example of Egyptian Revival per se.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Right now Ranquist is moving forward with a big townhome development that will wipe out a whole block of vacant land and New City is taking out a huge superblock of vacant land. I saw the other day that the Ranquist site has been fenced off and a construction trailer delivered to it.
Currently Ranquist is developing 42-townhomes called Basecamp on that location. I hear they have nice amount already under contract , construction is going to start soon.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
I always thought of it as more Prairie style since its massing is so reminiscent of the Larkin building. Interesting. Still, I'd say Reebie Storage is a better example of Egyptian Revival per se.
You're right, it's a Dwight Heald Perkins building. He was a Prairie style architect who served as Chief Architect for the Chicago Board of Education from 1905-1910. His most well known building is probably Carl Schurz High School in Irving Park. Outside of that he is not that well known; I'm only familiar with him because I lived in a dorm he designed on the University of Chicago campus.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:43 AM

Video and photo check-in on Maggie Daley Park progress, care of Chicago Tonight. http://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2014/...gie-daley-park

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 5:06 AM
TL;DR

^^ Huh? Dwight Perkins is one of the more well-known Prairie School architects. His namesake firm (Perkins + Will) is still a major player in the architecture industry (and still does great work).

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 6:36 AM

Quote:
^^ Huh? Dwight Perkins is one of the more well-known Prairie School architects. His namesake firm (Perkins + Will) is still a major player in the architecture industry (and still does great work).
I forgot that the crowd here has probably heard of him. In my experience whenever I mention him I get blank stares.

To jump back on topic: Does anyone know whatever happened to the plans for residential buildings at 53rd and Cornell and 56th and Cornell in Hyde Park? I seem to recall the latter once had a Studio Gang design slated, but it seems like nothing ever came of it.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 11:31 AM

All of the signs are off both this building and the hardware store to this south. Demolition coming?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 12:22 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby View Post
Currently Ranquist is developing 42-townhomes called Basecamp on that location. I hear they have nice amount already under contract , construction is going to start soon.
Yes, and given their location they aren't priced too high.

I haven't seen the interiors, but they seem like a decent bargain. If only I didn't have to drive to Racine, WI for work every day....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development