HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 5:26 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Race and Hispanic Origin Est. by State 2007

Hello everyone, here are the latest estimates based on Race and Hispanic origin by State as of July 2007 according to the US Census.

The first two charts include Hispanic Whites, Blacks, etc and the two below are of non-Hispanic Whites, Blacks, etc.

What do you think?

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 11:24 PM
Ya Dig!!

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it seems inconsistent.
For example.

According to the chart for the black population in Florida, Texas, and New York.
Florida has 2.896 million blacks
Texas has 2.857 million blacks
New York has 3.3 million blacks.
But according to the article that Montrose posted earlier, the black population for each of the three states are above 3 million and New York is at 3.5 million. Are they undercounting somewhere or did am I misunderstanding?

Here's that part of the article.
Quote:
The black population increased by 1.3 percent, or 540,000, between 2006 and 2007.
New York had the largest black population in 2007 (3.5 million), followed by Florida and Texas (3 million each). Georgia had the largest numerical increase between 2006 and 2007 (84,000), with Texas (62,000) and Florida (48,000) next. In the District of Columbia, the black population comprised the highest percentage (56 percent); Mississippi (38 percent) and Louisiana (32 percent) were next.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 11:41 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^I have the answer for that. The numbers he posted which were released in that manner by the US Census include multiple responses or mixed races (e.g., half white and black, etc) or mixed within their own race (e.g., a person who might be French and Italian or German, Irish, Russian) and one-race only. Personally, I feel that including mixed race figures with one-race only populations makes those numbers/percentages to be some what misleading. I seriously believe that people that are of mixed races should not be included with those that are one-race only or mixed in their own race, especially, if they are mixed with more than two races.

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 1:24 AM
Ya Dig!!

^gotcha. That makes sense. That 2nd list is interesting regarding Texas. While the white population in the state is growing in raw numbers, the percentage is falling fast. That is obvious though and the state became majority-minority a couple years ago. So which state is next on that list?

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 4:11 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^I need to take a closer look at the stats but I think that a large portion of the growth in Whites in Texas is because of Hispanic Whites. In the first two charts the Hispanic Whites are included and the bottom two it's separated and as you can see the percent decreases by about 35 percentage points because they were Hispanic Whites.

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 9:49 AM

I'm having a tough time finding a state that more closely mirrors the national stats than Illinois. This is supposedly the "most American" state... according to some.

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 7:31 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Illinois does appear to mirror the US average but this country is changing quite rapidly. Places that were primarily Black and White are now seeing rapid growth in their Asian and Hispanic populations and in some cases places that didn't have traditionally large Black populations are seeing a lot of growth like Hawaii (+14,000 since 2000), Utah (+12,000), Idaho (+8,000 more than doubling its Black population). Basically there are shifts going on and most states are beginning to see a balance racially.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanguy View Post
Illinois does appear to mirror the US average but this country is changing quite rapidly. Places that were primarily Black and White are now seeing rapid growth in their Asian and Hispanic populations and in some cases places that didn't have traditionally large Black populations are seeing a lot of growth like Hawaii (+14,000 since 2000), Utah (+12,000), Idaho (+8,000 more than doubling its Black population). Basically there are shifts going on and most states are beginning to see a balance racially.
That's very true. The Southeast (my home region) is seeing tremendous growth in all racial groups, but especially Hispanic and Asian. My point about Illinois was that it mirrors the US most closely... and might very well continue to be that way in the future: No Southern or Western state will ever be close to "average." The West has too high an Hispanic population and the South too high a black population, and both populations are increasing tremendously in their respective regions.

Illinois hasn't been an immigration "boom" state like California or Texas, but it is in no way a slacker like Ohio or Michigan, which have surprisingly low Hispanic populations given their size. Chicago is a magnet for immigrants, but there are enough black folks and white folks having babies and staying put to prevent the balance from tilting too far in any one direction.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 1:29 AM

while Illinois as a whole may be the most accurate mirrow of the country it is because there are two Illinois' that average out. One metro Chicago and the other is the rest of the state which is a few million people and mostly white with a smattering of black and some latino.

The foreign born population for the urbanized area of Chicago is 1,696,705. The foreign born population of the whole state of Illinois is 1,862,755. The population of the urbanized area of Chicago is 8.6 million people and the population of the whole state is 12.8 million. For the 4.2 million people of Illinois that are not in metro chicago there are 166,000 immigrants.

Here is the break down.

Metro Chicago is 19.6 percent immigrant and of metro chicago's 1.7 million immigrants, Cook County has 1.16 million or 21% of its population. The collar counties are 3.3 million people and have about 550,000 immigrants or about 17% of its population. The rest of the state is 4.2 million people and have 166,000 immigrants or about 4% of its population.

Last edited by pip; Jun 28, 2008 at 2:15 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 4:14 PM
Go Saints!!!!!!

one question.....and i dont know if its a dumb question or not, but are the percentages inaccurate or something because it shows whites at 80 %, blacks at 13%, and hispanics at 14.5%. between these three groups only thats well over 100%.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:30 PM
Desert Dweller

In the first set of charts, Hispanic is not mutually exclusive. A white or black person of hispanic origin is not included in the "mixed race" category, but in the "white" or "black" category as well as Hispanic/Latino. Think white guy from Argentina, black lady from Panama, or the confused guy from Arkansas who lied on the census form.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 9:12 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

In fewer words, "hispanic" is not classfied as a race by the Census Bureau, but as an ethnicity.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States