HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 12:29 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Oops! Well then, forget I mentioned it

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 4:58 AM

Is SSP running on old software? I know that on other forums I contribute to moderators are able to move posts from one thread to another.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Let it Snøhetta: can the new public market transform Portland's waterfront?

Morrison Bridge and ramps (image via Google Maps)

BY BRIAN LIBBY

Although the James Beard Public Market has been simmering as an idea and a dream for over a decade, and its intended location at the west end of the Morrison Bridge has been known since 2011, the recent announcement that acclaimed Norwegian architecture firm Snøhetta will be its designer (first reported by Randy Gragg in Portland Monthly) has given the project an injection of excitement and possibility.

With its bounty of food options, the market already seemed poised to become a major destination and public draw in downtown Portland. Think of what the Pike Place Market in Seattle does for that city: it almost feels like the epicenter of the urban core there. But the Beard Public Market will occupy a difficult, bifurcated site occupying the donut holes of two circular Morrison Bridge on and off-ramps.

For that reason and more, the fact that Snøhetta is designing the project is exciting.

Internationally renowned firms don't seem to come to Portland very often. This isn't a city that collects buildings by starchitects, especially in comparison to neighboring metropolises like Seattle and San Francisco. But Snøhetta, with its collaborative and multidisciplinary approach as well as its inclusive and research-oriented process is probably a better fit for the city.
...continues at Portland Architecture.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 11:16 PM

I'm super excited about the triangular plot and how the two "holes" will be tied together. This is super prominent, and I liked the comentary I read that talked about the Morrisson being the least liked bridge. I tend to agree. I hope this can at least draw attention to invigorating the waterfront.

A 17-story, triangular building would be iconic, I think. Even if a bit short, it could have a tremendous presence.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 2:00 AM
A before E

I still hope the two ramps get removed that run to Naito, I can't see any benefit in keeping them and taking away development space.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 10:44 AM
Karma Police

The ramps, at least the northern one, aren't going anywhere. It's the only (somewhat) direct access from the Central Eastside to I-5 southbound. However, the ramps are a unique feature/constraint of the site that could actually help define a great piece of architecture if Snohetta can live up to its high expectations. Some of the best designed buildings in the world are on prominent, yet difficult, sites.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 5:48 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
The ramps, at least the northern one, aren't going anywhere. It's the only (somewhat) direct access from the Central Eastside to I-5 southbound. However, the ramps are a unique feature/constraint of the site that could actually help define a great piece of architecture if Snohetta can live up to its high expectations. Some of the best designed buildings in the world are on prominent, yet difficult, sites.
Huh? I am talking about the two off ramps on the Westside that connects to Naito. Both are redundant ramps.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Huh? I am talking about the two off ramps on the Westside that connects to Naito. Both are redundant ramps.
No he's right. If you're in the CED the only way to get to I5 South is to cross over the morrision bridge to Natio and follow that south to were it connects to I5. Without that ramp it would require going through a few city blocks where there are street lights and a lot more pedestrians to navigate. The southern ramp that leads onto the Morrison Bridge from Natio maybe more redundant, I've never used it but that me be because I am never driving down that way.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 6:02 PM

You guys are talking about the same ramps. If you take the northern ramp, coming west, you can turn south onto Naito, and from there to I5 south. You could remove the ramp and dump that traffic on surface streets, but it would encourage the argument that the little people suffer for the sake of rich developers' profits.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 11:23 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxnw View Post
No he's right. If you're in the CED the only way to get to I5 South is to cross over the morrision bridge to Natio and follow that south to were it connects to I5. Without that ramp it would require going through a few city blocks where there are street lights and a lot more pedestrians to navigate. The southern ramp that leads onto the Morrison Bridge from Natio maybe more redundant, I've never used it but that me be because I am never driving down that way.
Not really much of an inconvenience, all one would have to do is make the right onto 2nd, and then a right onto Stark, go through one light and make a right onto Naito. Plus getting rid of those off ramps would open up the blocks so that they have more than just access for pedestrians on Naito.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 8:38 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
I think that this google map view should give you a great illustration as to how the ramps come into play.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 9:14 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
I think that this google map view should give you a great illustration as to how the ramps come into play.

Just as easy to do this.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Not really much of an inconvenience, all one would have to do is make the right onto 2nd, and then a right onto Stark, go through one light and make a right onto Naito. Plus getting rid of those off ramps would open up the blocks so that they have more than just access for pedestrians on Naito.
Have you tried doing that with a semi? Crossing the MAX lines, through a pedestrian-heavy historic district with tight turning radii? Massively inconvenient. Possible? Barely. But freight traffic from the CEID to I-5 south is already difficult, so making it worse is a non-starter.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 9:56 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Have you tried doing that with a semi? Crossing the MAX lines, through a pedestrian-heavy historic district with tight turning radii? Massively inconvenient. Possible? Barely. But freight traffic from the CEID to I-5 south is already difficult, so making it worse is a non-starter.
Then this market is destined to fail. Or a better solution could be created for truck traffic. How many semis use that offramp? I don't ever notice trucks crossing onto the downtown side too often taking that route.

Currently that loop isn't a truck route and after the city redid the curb for that off ramp trucks can't even use it without running up onto the sidewalk. They are suppose to head down to SE Division to SE 9th to cross the Ross Island Bridge to connect to I-5 South.

That offramp on the west side of the Morrison is already obsolete.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 4:57 PM

Aren't they doing a design open house? You guys should go I personally would love to see something iconic go in there and would love to see them work with the constraints of the space. Maybe the offramps could be encased in overwalk structures... designed in a unique way, it could keep the market interesting.

Besides they have the beard angle since it's Portland. The market markets itself, lol.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 7:09 PM

How removing a Morrison Bridge ramp could change the James Beard Public Market

"Plans for a downtown sustainable food market and neighboring office tower may be dramatically revised because Portland planners are considering big changes at the Morrison Bridgehead.

City officials are studying whether to close or remove ramps connecting Southwest Naito Parkway and the Morrison Bridge. Planners also have proposed increasing height limits for buildings at the bridgehead."

Continues at the Oregonian...

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...l#incart_river

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
"Plans for a downtown sustainable food market and neighboring office tower may be dramatically revised because Portland planners are considering big changes at the Morrison Bridgehead.

City officials are studying whether to close or remove ramps connecting Southwest Naito Parkway and the Morrison Bridge. Planners also have proposed increasing height limits for buildings at the bridgehead."

Well that would be a game changer!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 7:42 PM

Quote:

Yesssss! 1000' at the bridge! ha... I'd go for 750'?... 500'? Now I'm super excited about this! Edit: 235 feet to 325 feet. Better than nothing.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 7:59 PM
A before E

Quote:

This is good news, the increase of building height will definitely make this building stand out in the skyline, and lets hope the city and county agree to having the ramps removed to make the pedestrian access to these blocks so much easier.

I am really looking forward to spring when we should know more about this project.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 12:43 AM

Just wanted to remind people that the public forum is at OMSI, this Saturday, 2pm-5pm. Project team speaking at 2:30.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland