HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 12:01 AM

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 1:18 AM

Awesome video. Although i love how near the end video when they show a balcony view there are no tower going up in front of there place so the view stays....like that will happen

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 3:31 PM

Ya they'll do just about anything to sell a condo.

"In 10 years it's population will pass Vancouver and become the lower mainland's regional and economic centre."

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Ya they'll do just about anything to sell a condo.

"In 10 years it's population will pass Vancouver and become the lower mainland's regional and economic centre."

It has a better chance of becoming the regional center if done right. Have my doubts about economic though that's a bit too ambitious I think at this stage. It's not impossible (well it is in 10 years only) though because downtown Vancouver for a city its size is extremely undersized from an economic standpoint. The vast majority of it is residential and supporting retail. Most other major cities in the world have much larger commercial focus in the downtown.

But regionally though I think Surrey would be hard pressed to become the "economic center." Regional center though, that could happen quite easily. Surrey is a lot more central regionally and as Abbotsford International Airport grows, with a transit connection and all the transport upgrades South of Fraser, it would be faster to get to central Surrey than downtown Vancouver. Downtown Vancouver is, if you look at a map, really far off in the top corner of the region.

The only benefit it has right now geographically over Surrey is the fact the higher population centers of the region would need to cross the Fraser River to get to Surrey.

Not 10 years though. Not the pace things are going now unless in the next 5 years we see 20 proposals for new commercial and business towers + a major shift in the central residential projects aka the creation of those 'mixed-use corridors.'

The video though is just trying to upsell the units to make more sales.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 8:01 PM

The east side of Park Place facing E. Whalley Blvd. turned out much nicer than I expected, despite a lack of street-facing retail and/or townhomes. The retail section adjacent to Skytrain is also shaping up very nicely, and the width of the sidewalk along KGB is impressive! I'm much less pessimistic about this particular project than I was several months ago, even if the usual qualifiers still apply.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 12:34 AM

Anybody go to the open house?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Anybody go to the open house?
I have scheduled mine for next weekend, has anybody actually gone yet? I believe they started doing walk throughs on Oct 4th...if so provide some details if possible.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9col View Post
I have scheduled mine for next weekend, has anybody actually gone yet? I believe they started doing walk throughs on Oct 4th...if so provide some details if possible.
I went on my inspection of my 1 bedroom Tuesday morning. Will post some pics tomorrow if I remember.

I am extremely impressed. The buildings turned out better than I had anticipated and my unit was near perfect. Was just a few things like a small paint smudge on a light in the bathroom so just minor cleanup items. View is also better than expected. I am in tower 2 facing Mount Baker. Also liked the security measures especially the fact owners' key fobs only allow them onto their own floor aka someone on floor 10 can only get to floor 10.

Ammenity space also is quite impressive. Thought i was in a 5 star hotel. If Concord follows the same level of professionalism for the Park Avenue project upcoming in the next 4 years the standard of living in that area will go up nicely.

Glad i had patience and held onto my unit.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 7:17 PM

Just of note, the photos don't do sizes justice. The place is 577 square feet (1 bedroom) and it feels quite well sized when you're inside. The photos of the living room make it look smaller than it actually is. Also the ammenity space is quite vast especially the gym which could give professional gyms a run for their money size wise. Again photos don't do them justice but they are quite large.

1. Looking towards Mount Baker (hidden by clouds)
2. Towards Hospital
3. Towards CRA building
4. Bedroom Closet
5. Testing sink overflow
6. Washer and Dryer
7. Fridge
8. Stove
9. Main closet in entrance
10. Looking from Kitchen towards living room
11. Bathroom Tub
12. Bedroom + carpet looking towards living room
13. Living Room left
14. Living room right
15. Looking back at kitchen from living room
16. Yoga room towards corner 100th/whalley blvd
17. Yoga room exit into Gym
18. Gym (being used by the Concord team as a meeting room)
19. Gym towards changing rooms

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 7:59 PM

Thanks for the pics.
Did you take any pics of the commercial building being built down below?

(BTW, that sink looks a bit like a toilet seat)

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 11:38 PM

Looks really good, I have the same unit in the same tower except with the other color scheme, cant wait to check it out.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 4:55 AM

Good luck to jhausner and m9col with your purchases. Here's hoping you don't have terrible renters in the building, or the incessant tenant/owner in the unit above you who is a heel walker on laminate floors.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 8:07 PM

Solid concrete tower so I don't think noise will be a huge factor (barring really loud music or what have you). It is actually surprisingly quiet when you close everything up (window and patio). Can't even hear the SkyTrain or traffic.

And yes lol the sink kind of does look like that.

As for renters, _ALL_ renters have to go through the rental management company from my understanding which requires them to be screened. Obviously you can't be 100% sure but I believe they are pushing really hard to make sure there aren't major issues with rental units in the building. The odds are higher unfortunately since there are over 700 units but I'm not worried. It's part of life and will deal with it when and if I have to deal with it.

I didn't take any pictures of the commercial building unfortunately. I may when I get back from vacation in a few weeks but they are looking great. The portion facing the towers (away from skytrain) is pretty much completed. Looks to me like they are just doing finishing touches. Stairs are all done with just some landscaping.

Also the inner court yard is pretty much all completed that's where I parked and the retail units (1 to 6) are at the base of the 2 towers facing inside teh court yard. They don't front Whalley Blvd or 100th obviously but it makes a nice little community space.

So when done there will be 6 retail units under the 2 towers and then the commercial building on the other side. There will also be retail at the base of the next phase of that block which according to Concord right now will be Phase 2 of Park Avenue, Phase 1 being the old Sky Towers development.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 8:24 PM

Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Solid concrete tower so I don't think noise will be a huge factor (barring really loud music or what have you). It is actually surprisingly quiet when you close everything up (window and patio). Can't even hear the SkyTrain or traffic.

And yes lol the sink kind of does look like that.

As for renters, _ALL_ renters have to go through the rental management company from my understanding which requires them to be screened. Obviously you can't be 100% sure but I believe they are pushing really hard to make sure there aren't major issues with rental units in the building. The odds are higher unfortunately since there are over 700 units but I'm not worried. It's part of life and will deal with it when and if I have to deal with it.

I didn't take any pictures of the commercial building unfortunately. I may when I get back from vacation in a few weeks but they are looking great. The portion facing the towers (away from skytrain) is pretty much completed. Looks to me like they are just doing finishing touches. Stairs are all done with just some landscaping.

Also the inner court yard is pretty much all completed that's where I parked and the retail units (1 to 6) are at the base of the 2 towers facing inside teh court yard. They don't front Whalley Blvd or 100th obviously but it makes a nice little community space.

So when done there will be 6 retail units under the 2 towers and then the commercial building on the other side. There will also be retail at the base of the next phase of that block which according to Concord right now will be Phase 2 of Park Avenue, Phase 1 being the old Sky Towers development.
I havent heard that if you choose to rent out your unit it must go through the rental management company, do you mean that even if you are getting your own renters they must be screened by Prompton?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 2:28 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

That would be a very unusual condition, would have to look into it, but it might even be illegal to obligate anyone to a single rental management company. If it is a condition that should be repealed at the first strata meeting.
Anyways congrats and hope you enjoy your new place.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 7:44 AM

I had my walkthrough today and I was impressed as the building and unit are nicer than I thought they would be.

I also asked if its true about the rental management company having to screen all renters and they said thats not the case, if you want to manage your own unit and find a renter or rent to a family member then they will not get involved unless there are issues and strata rule violations then the property managers will exercise their rights.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 1:23 PM

When are the first move ins happening?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diet Butcher View Post
When are the first move ins happening?
They told me mid November on into mid December and that the moves would be low floors, mid floors, high floors. Not sure what order but they will be done in stages. I hope this gets going soon because I still havent received the letter about the completion date.

Last edited by m9col; Oct 20, 2011 at 2:53 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 9:12 PM

I'm sure Concord will push to have any renters go through Prompton on the individual suite, after all Prompton is a company owned by Concord at the end of the day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley