HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 5:33 PM

Possible new governor's mansion

Last edited by Saddle Man; Jul 25, 2009 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 3:55 AM

Without considering cost, ( and the fact that the Pease Mansion is not for sale).... it's a great idea!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 4:08 AM

Last edited by Saddle Man; Jul 25, 2009 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 4:16 AM
Dryer lint inspector

even better, vote governor zoolander out of office and and rebuild the governor's mansion.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 4:31 AM
Meh

As liberal as I am, and as much as I disagree with Texas politics, I really don't want to see the Governor's Mansion destroyed. I want to see it restored and kept in use as the governor's residence. I mean come on, it's 155 years old, is one of the oldest public buildings in the state, and the 4th oldest governor's mansion in the country. Restore it already. It would be a travesty not to.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddle Man View Post
Yeah, but sometimes people change their minds if you dangle enough money in front of them. Perry's wife wants out of the Governor's Mansion. She hates it. She says it's not good enough for a governor's family. So I say, we get her and Helmut Hair out of there, and back to someplace they pay for themselves.
What does she want?

Who am I kidding? She probably wants us to build her a McMansion.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 8:51 AM

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 10:36 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Without considering cost, ( and the fact that the Pease Mansion is not for sale).... it's a great idea!
Actually, the mansion is owned by the state (more specifically, The University of Texas at Austin).

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Actually, the mansion is owned by the state (more specifically, The University of Texas at Austin).
Check again. UT sold it several years ago. It's the private residence of Jeff Sandefer and he has no intention of selling. He put a ton of money into renovating it. I'm not sure why our legislators are wasting time on this.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
What does she want?

Who am I kidding? She probably wants us to build her a McMansion.
If she want a McMansion the Legislature will have to pass Kuemple's anti-McMansion Ordinance Bills.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 5:54 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

If I owned that mansion I would never sell it for however much money the state was willing to pay. The nerve of the state trying to be cheap and would rather buy a similar mansion than to restore the Governers Mansion.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 7:51 AM
Meh

Well, to be picky, the proposal was to restore the Governor's Mansion and turn it into a museum. The security needs and upgrades to the building as the governor's residence, would be more costly than if they simply restored it as a museum. They could restore it and turn it into a museum, and they would then purchase the Pease Mansion and move the governor's residence there. But yes, whatever happens, they had better restore the Governor's Mansion. I'm not even against the idea so much of the governor being located elsewhere, but you gotta at least repair and restore the mansion back to the way it was before the fire.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 5:57 PM

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 8:09 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by royiv View Post
Check again. UT sold it several years ago. It's the private residence of Jeff Sandefer and he has no intention of selling. He put a ton of money into renovating it. I'm not sure why our legislators are wasting time on this.
"Check again?"

Well, yes...I am man enough to admit that I was incorrect in assuming that the University still owned the property. However, Jeff Sandefer never owned Woodlawn (aka Pease Mansion), privately. The current owner is Woodlawn-Pease, LLC, who purchased the property from the University of Texas (Deed date: January 15, 2003).

Unless he is a partner in Woodlawn-Pease, he has no ties to the property. Additionally, from what I understand, The University actually contacted him after negotiations failed, in 2002, with the winning bidder. Furthermore, it has been purported that he was frustrated by the restrictions and restoration requirements imposed by Austin's Historic Landmark Commission and the overall increase in costs this may cause in restoring the residence.

Also, I don't think he could claim this property as his homestead if it's owned by an entity other than himself, personally.

Last edited by GoldenBoot; Apr 29, 2009 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
"Check again?"

Well, yes...I am man enough to admit that I was incorrect in assuming that the University still owned the property. However, Jeff Sandefer never owned Woodlawn (aka Pease Mansion), privately. The current owner is Woodlawn-Pease, LLC, who purchased the property from the University of Texas (Deed date: January 15, 2003).

Unless he is a partner in Woodlawn-Pease, he has no ties to the property. Additionally, from what I understand, The University actually contacted him after negotiations failed, in 2002, with the winning bidder. Furthermore, it has been purported that he was frustrated by the restrictions and restoration requirements imposed by Austin's Historic Landmark Commission and the overall increase in costs this may cause in restoring the residence.

Also, I don't think he could claim this property as his homestead if it's owned by an entity other than himself, personally.
Woodlawn-Pease, LLC is controlled by Sandefer. Trust me, Sandefer lives at and also owns the Pease Mansion. If you don't believe me, drive by and check the mail in the mailbox.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin