HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

740 North Rush in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 12:14 AM

Cool CHICAGO | 740 N Rush/739 N Wabash | 725 FT | 60 FLOORS | CANCELLED

Upcoming Community Presentation for Proposed Development at Rush Street and Superior Street

Alderman Reilly invites you to join him at an informational presentation for a development proposal at Rush Street and Superior Street. Representatives of Symmetry Development will present their plans and answer any questions you may have about this proposal.

Symmetry proposes to construct a 60-story, 725' tall building containing approximately 30,000 square feet of retail space, 216 hotel rooms, 120 hotel timeshare units, 246 condominium units and 325 parking spaces.

WHAT: New Mixed-Use Development located at 739 N. Wabash,
42-48 E. Superior, 730-740 N. Rush Street, Chicago, Illinois

WHO: Hosted by Alderman Brendan Reilly and
River North Residents Association (RNRA)

WHEN: Monday, March 13, 2017, at 6:00 P.M.

WHERE: Sofitel Chicago, Magnificent Mile
20 E. Chestnut, Paris Ballroom, 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60611

Alderman Reilly works hard to provide an open and transparent community review of all local development proposals. We hope you can join Alderman and RNRA to engage in a direct dialogue with each development team to gain a better understanding of their proposal and receive answers to any questions you may have.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 12:33 AM

What happened to the SOM design? The one that was superior but that I secretly hoped would fail because I'd rather keep one of the very few historic, small-scale blocks in an area packed with podiums intact...

And timeshares? Really?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Upcoming Community Presentation for Proposed Development at Rush Street and Superior Street

Alderman Reilly invites you to join him at an informational presentation for a development proposal at Rush Street and Superior Street. Representatives of Symmetry Development will present their plans and answer any questions you may have about this proposal.

Symmetry proposes to construct a 60-story, 725' tall building containing approximately 30,000 square feet of retail space, 216 hotel rooms, 120 hotel timeshare units, 246 condominium units and 325 parking spaces.

Chicago, IL 60611

Alderman Reilly works hard to provide an open and transparent community review of all local development proposals. We hope you can join Alderman and RNRA to engage in a direct dialogue with each development team to gain a better understanding of their proposal and receive answers to any questions you may have.

hmmm nice height and interesting crown it would be nice to see some glass in the sea of beige over there. I will be sad to see some of those old buildings go though.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 12:38 AM

Cool CHICAGO | 740 N Rush/739 N Wabash | 725 FT | 60 FLOORS

I didn't know if it was too early to start a thread for this project but what the hell!

Chicago, IL 60611

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 12:45 AM

That's it, it's time for a new River North historic district. I'm emailing Chance to get this going.

Between this block, the building at Chicago/Rush, and the Van Cleef Salon church, we're losing too much of this.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 12:52 AM

Beautiful. Build it. Build it now.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 1:29 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Interesting.

It looks shorter than 725' in that rendering.

I fully expect panderhack Reilly to knock this one down significantly or outright kill it.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
That's it, it's time for a new River North historic district. I'm emailing Chance to get this going.

Between this block, the building at Chicago/Rush, and the Van Cleef Salon church, we're losing too much of this.
The problem is not the tower but that it would sit on a half block podium. Those damn parking podiums are destroying (or have already destroyed) the fabric of the area and the visual interest that comes from having lots of different buildings cheek by jowl.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Interesting.

It looks shorter than 725' in that rendering.

I fully expect panderhack Reilly to knock this one down significantly or outright kill it.
I'm wondering if the perspective is to trick the nimbys.

Yeah, he's a hack and likes to play bad developer/good alderman.

Funny thing is, he 'vets' these projects before they get this far.

And thanks for editing the title, I'd put everything in caps and when I submitted, well you saw.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 2:04 AM
The City

I think this proposal deserves its own thread.

Agree about the podium. If this community process yields anything, it should be pressing the developer to come up with something better than tower on a damn podium. At lease some liner units would make a huge difference

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 2:06 AM

Is that the old Canyon Ranch proposal site or am I off?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 2:12 AM
The City

Ever since Reilly blocked the Giordano's hotel I can't predict what he will do. No rhyme or reason.

But in this case, whatever. At least there are historic buildings there. Not like it's a parking lot

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Ever since Reilly blocked the Giordano's hotel I can't predict what he will do. No rhyme or reason.

But in this case, whatever. At least there are historic buildings there. Not like it's a parking lot
Reilly blocked the initial proposal because the neighborhood bitched about the lack of parking. There was no parking at all in that development.

Quote:
Canyon Ranch would have been a block to the south (Huron/Rush).

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 2:44 AM
BANNED

fugly

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 3:46 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Canyon Ranch was a block south from this site, on the SW corner of Huron and Rush.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 4:27 AM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...early-a-decade

March 03, 2017
Developer proposes tallest building in River North in nearly a decade

By ALBY GALLUN

Quote:
A New York developer plans a 60-story hotel and condominium tower in River North, the tallest building to be proposed in the neighborhood since the recession.

Symmetry Property Development wants to build the 725-foot high-rise at the northwest corner of Superior Street and Wabash Avenue, according to an email downtown Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) sent to constituents. A block west of the Peninsula Hotel, the development would include 216 hotel rooms, 120 timeshare units, 246 condos and about 30,000 square feet of retail space, according to the email.

A Symmetry executive did not respond to an email.

About two years ago, Symmetry floated a plan for a 36-story hotel-condo tower on the property. But it never filed a proposal with the city for the project, which it would have built with Chicago developer Chris Carley, who died last year.

The strong hotel and condo markets are working in Symmetry's favor. The condo plan has "great potential," Gail Lissner, vice president at Appraisal Research Counselors, a Chicago-based consulting firm, wrote in an email.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 5:08 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
fugly
Mte

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 7:10 AM
MPLSXCHI

Doesn't look to promising design wise. Would rather have the old low rises.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I think this proposal deserves its own thread.

Agree about the podium. If this community process yields anything, it should be pressing the developer to come up with something better than tower on a damn podium. At lease some liner units would make a huge difference
Liner units should be a basic requirement at this point.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 2:52 PM
The City

I wonder if they will be going after foreign buyers?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive