HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 11:12 PM
All things are possible

Bayou...I can still make you a banner like the one Music was going to get. I gave his to one of my employees. I think I may have mentioned before that my reliable sources tell me we have about 800-1000 true homeless in Mobile. If you wonder how so many prescription drugs get to the street ask your local homeless vet. Labor Finders will eventually move because the landlord won't want the grief of mad neighbors and politicians...it's a good location for something else too. I know there are two more hotels that will be built in Tillman's Corner but downtown is a guess for me.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 11:30 PM
All things are possible

Bayou, I know of two new hotels to be built in Tillman's Corner but nothing else downtown that I know of. I did see a post about Admiral Semmes making an expansion but that has been talked about for some time now. Look for a big renovation at the now closed Airport Inn (Quality)...it's in bad shape on the interior. Hotels are a hot commodity for investors..there are many more to come especially downtown and near the eventual track.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 4:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitekKetin View Post
It's rumored that Mobile will be the future location of a Hyatt Place hotel. Perhaps they will choose a Downtown site.

http://www.reuters.com/article/press...008+BW20080129
I can believe this, why not have a Hyatt? Every other metro city does, and I know there are plenty of pleople will saty. Came home last week and again, downtown looks different again. Miss the place a lot. Eastern Shore is really changing and driving in from South West on I-10 looks like development is taking place all the way out to Bayou La Batre. North Mobile, looks great as well. I was shocked to see how many people were out and about on Saturday downtown. Saw a new restaurant on Royal, looked like something out of Atlanta. Awesome changes, cannot wait to move back.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 5:09 PM

Carriage Works on Dauphin

Here are some recent pics from the Carriage Works. All of the info is available on The Drummond Group website: www.drummondgrouponline.com/condos.asp

Sorry about the size of the pictures, I haven't figured out how to resize them yet.

Last edited by LHG; Feb 18, 2008 at 5:13 PM. Reason: correction

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 7:43 PM

Thanks for the photos and website. Nice info on several other projects they are working on.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 3:19 AM

Hi guys ! I am a new member , but not new to following Mobile development , I have reading this forum several years but never chimed in ....untill now .

Something I would like some input on is this .... Mobiles skyline has never looked better ... so you think you would see it when you watch the news ...
Remember the good old days when WALA 10 , had the skyline in their background , now all they have is the boring news room .

I wish that some local Station would make the move to insert the skyline to their backgound , I emailed WKRG on this subject and got no responce .
I believe this addition would speak volumes , many stations still do this .

Thanks , Matt

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 3:25 AM
No Respect

Welcome to the board! ........ Now give us all your info and your money Enjoy the ride
"Thank ya Mississippi , Without you we be #50!"

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 3:40 AM

Unfortunatly... I really don't have anymore info than you guys have
And I barely live inside the city limits .... like 200 feet inside .... but I could'nt imagine living anywhere else .
I am from Jackson MS , but have lived here most of my life ... 23 out of 25 years , all of my family is from MS , and alot have found their way to Mobile .

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 6:00 AM
surely you're not serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmc View Post
Hi guys ! I am a new member , but not new to following Mobile development , I have reading this forum several years but never chimed in ....untill now .

Something I would like some input on is this .... Mobiles skyline has never looked better ... so you think you would see it when you watch the news ...
Remember the good old days when WALA 10 , had the skyline in their background , now all they have is the boring news room .

I wish that some local Station would make the move to insert the skyline to their backgound , I emailed WKRG on this subject and got no responce .
I believe this addition would speak volumes , many stations still do this .

Thanks , Matt
I've been thinking the same about Mobile's news stations. WPMI shows a little bit of the skyline during the weather but really nothing else. Maybe they'll start after the Riverview's spire's completion.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 6:59 PM
---

Maybe WPMI can start with not having a green background on a radar.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 9:51 PM

Or maybe WPMI needs to update the picture they use of the RSA Tower. The one they use during the weather still shows scaffolding on the crown. I know that's silly, but it was pretty ugly when it had scaffolding all over the crown.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 4:04 PM
Witty comment fail

Had a good mini-vacation over the weekend in Mobile. Stayed at the Riverview and ate at the Oyster House. Good to see lots of work going on in the downtown area.

I did have one question, though. Why haven't all the derelict structures on the Causeway been torn down? Some of that stuff seems like its been that way since Fredrick in '79.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 4:33 PM

ha yea...well.....more like Katrina. The old gas stations are all messed up. so it has been 3 years since the storm? A lot of them are starting to come down now. That old pink hotel is going to be gutted. Then the owners are going to decide whether or not to rebuild it. But still there are a few buildings on the causeway that have been messed up since before Katrina.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileLSUboy2005 View Post
not trying to slow mobile development...BUT do we REALLY need ANOTHER hotel downtown!? i mean come on... its getting a little excessive...battle house, riverview, admiral semmes, lafayette plaza, hampton, raddison... how many do we freakin need!? lets get big headquarters or attractions down there first... im sure the hotels are never all full except for one week of the year.... mardi gras....
Yes, we need more downtown hotels. They complaint of the convention folks is that we haven't had enough downtown hotel rooms to support the convention center. Without conventions, RSA and David Bronner won't get a good return on their investments in the Battle House and Riverview.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 11:52 PM

Re TimothynCrystal's post: I wonder what new restaurant you saw on Royal? There is a brand-new coffeeshop, only open a few weeks. They have panini and soup and stuff, and gelato!

Oh and this isn't downtown but True is open in "Legacy Village" or whatever ridiculous name they've given to the Aging Matronette stripmall at Dauphin & I-65 - oh my God, y'all, it's incredible. Better than NoJa, and it hurts me to say that.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 1:53 AM

^I was wondering if Serda's, the new downtown coffee shop, had opened yet. I'll probably swing by there this weekend. I wonder if they have complimentary wi-fi?

The more pretentious name of that lifestyle center near Dauphin and I-65 is "Legacy Village at Spring Hill". It's pretty much leased and will feature Justice! For Girls and Gymboree as future tenants.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitekKetin View Post
^I was wondering if Serda's, the new downtown coffee shop, had opened yet. I'll probably swing by there this weekend. I wonder if they have complimentary wi-fi?

The more pretentious name of that lifestyle center near Dauphin and I-65 is "Legacy Village at Spring Hill". It's pretty much leased and will feature Justice! For Girls and Gymboree as future tenants.
I know they saved back some land for future expansion if the first part leased well. I think that shopping center is the only way that Mobile lands any high-end retailers (Anthropologie, J CREW, Brooks Brothers, etc) unless another major shopping development comes to be. I don't see Springdale or Bel Air getting these types of retailers unless they do some major rennovations/redevelopment to convert to a more modern retail center (street scapes, open air shopping, etc). If these types of retailers are not courted soon they will end up over the bay or in north mobile when/if a new mall is ever built.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 5:01 PM

I spoke with Alex Pate, one of the developers of Legacy Village, and he said that one of reasons that chains such as Anthropologie, Coach and Banana Republic haven't leased space in South Alabama lifestyle centers is because they're not really performing all that well in Alabama in general. Secondly, these higher end retailers like to concentrate on larger, stronger markets before committing to space in Mobile or Baldwin Counties.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 6:03 PM

I was wondering if Serda's, the new downtown coffee shop, had opened yet. I'll probably swing by there this weekend. I wonder if they have complimentary wi-fi?

http://www.serdascoffee.com/store2.html

Doesn't look like it, although they sure have a big website. (They started in Costa Rica - who knew?) And they got them some tasty soup. The day I was there, the choices were Wild Mushroom and Brie with Madiera, or Roasted Pepper with Gouda. I got a pint of each to take home

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 6:16 PM

And thanks, nimsjus, I have been trying to think of the name of the Anthropologie store for about 2 weeks now.

Springdale and BelAir have definitely lost their luster (not that I will ever lose my addiction to Teh Target, and Dillard's is still dependable). I heard a rumor a couple of years ago that Barnes & Noble was pulling out, probably moving to Airport & McGregor - anybody else heard that? They certainly haven't gone anywhere yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast