HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 3:47 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
Thats a shame, my great grandfather accidentally blew up the banana ripening rooms that used to be there. It was an interesting little event in Pittsburgh/Strip District history - you can read about it here:

http://idnc.library.illinois.edu/cgi...19361226.2.118
I'm sure he blew it up because: "there's money in the banana stand"

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 5:36 PM

^
+100 internets.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 7:39 PM

Maeby I'll get a Gob at the banana stand.

There is some structural steel going up across the street from my place of employment but atm I haven't any idea what it is.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 8:20 PM
JasonInPGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckk View Post

There is some structural steel going up across the street from my place of employment but atm I haven't any idea what it is.
Where is the steel going up?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 9:40 PM
Eurosceptic

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...-389-unit.html

Quote:
Ambling University Development to propose 389-unit apartment project for Oakland

The redevelopment plan for the Allegheny Health Department property between Fifth and Forbes avenues in Oakland is about to get a lot bigger.

AUDG Holdings LLC will submit a project for a 389-unit apartment project for a location at 3333 Forbes Ave. to the Pittsburgh Zoning Board of Adjustment on July 31, according to the ZBA agenda.

It’s an apartment project almost three times the previous plans for a new apartment building of between 120 and 160 units for the site proposed by local development group, MWK Forbes LLC, which also plans to develop a new hotel as part of the larger project. It's also a number of new apartments that makes it among the biggest new multifamily developments in the region, along with GMH Capital Partners' project of about 360 apartments at Southpointe.

Gary Wilson, a partner in MWK Forbes group along with the Massaro family and architect Tasso Katselas, said the project’s increase in size, which will require two special exceptions from zoning, is in keeping with the Oakland 2025 Master Plan that recommends high density development within the Fifth and Forbes corridor. The new larger apartment project has gotten support from the Oakland Business Improvement District, which represents the neighborhood's business community, he said.

The project seeks a special exception to build above 85 feet, seeking 120 feet, as well as a special exception for floor-area ratio.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 11:32 PM

That City Banana Building has to go. It has been vacant and an eyesore in a prime location for too long. If no developer wanted to take on the renovation after all of these years there is no use in having it tied up by preservationists seeking litigation at this juncture. I believe in preservation, but not everything is worth saving if it ties up progress. You gotta REO Speedwagon. You gotta Roll With the Changes.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 11:56 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
That City Banana Building has to go. It has been vacant and an eyesore in a prime location for too long. If no developer wanted to take on the renovation after all of these years there is no use in having it tied up by preservationists seeking litigation at this juncture. I believe in preservation, but not everything is worth saving if it ties up progress. You gotta REO Speedwagon. You gotta Roll With the Changes.
I agree. It's a cool little dilapidated building... but it's a waste of prime urban real estate.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I agree. It's a cool little dilapidated building... but it's a waste of prime urban real estate.

Nice photo of the boys from Champaign, Illinois.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
The building actually spans two parcels owned by two different landlords. Most of it is owned by the same company which owns the Tom Ayoob building and the Berkovitz Seafoods building, but the rear portion seems to be on a parcel owned by Allegheny County Railroad.

If the block does get redeveloped, I guess it will stop the possibility of routing the commuter rail from Railroad and onto Smallman Street. Still, the original ROW stayed on Railroad Street the whole way, so this isn't a major loss.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 12:22 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckk View Post
I can't believe you just said that. I mean... C'MON!!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
One night say potential developers were being . . . chicken . . .

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 1:20 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I'm thinking that this building is going to be quite a bit taller than 120 feet. With all the residential demand in the city, I think it's time to build taller. Hell, it's been time!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 5:54 AM

Wow, great news about upscaling 3333 Forbes.

Speaking of which--what is going on with the Oakland Portal project, and is there any chance that could be upscaled too?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 10:43 AM
Eurosceptic

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201407160072

Quote:
Housing projects find home in Strip District

July 15, 2014 11:21 PM

By Mark Belko / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

When it comes to housing, the Strip District is sizzling.

No fewer than seven residential developments, from apartments to $1 million homes, are in the works in a city neighborhood best known for its eclectic mix of markets and restaurants. These days it’s housing that is creating the buzz, with more than 600 units under development or in the planning stages.

Two of the latest ventures will go before the city’s zoning board of adjustment for approvals on July 31.

Developer Jack Benoff, who turned the Otto Milk Co. building into a successful 58-unit condominium complex, is back for an encore. He is proposing to add 35 to 40 more condos, the majority of them two-bedroom, at 2419 Smallman St. in an existing building and a new one located across from Otto Milk. There also will be indoor parking for 45 to 50 cars.

About seven blocks away, at 3155 Penn Ave., the Indovina Associates architectural firm is planning to convert the upper floors of the four-story Brass Manufacturing Co. building into 14 apartments.

The firm also will be moving its offices from Ellsworth Avenue into the first floor of the Penn Avenue building erected in 1903.

It hopes to start the $2.5 million project this summer and have it finished by late spring.

And while the project has yet to be announced, developer Zamagias Properties is eyeing the 10-story Penn Rose Building at 1627 Penn Ave., with plans to convert it into a 72-unit apartment complex.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 11:50 AM

I believe we briefly discussed the Penn Rose Building when it went on the market--it is the one with the funky mural, which I would personally like to see them keep--but regardless that would be a nice project.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 12:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The building actually spans two parcels owned by two different landlords. Most of it is owned by the same company which owns the Tom Ayoob building and the Berkovitz Seafoods building, but the rear portion seems to be on a parcel owned by Allegheny County Railroad.
Ayoob and Benkovitz... two more great names relegated to Strip District history. It would be nice to see those names carried on in some way with the new retail development planned for the site. All the different names (representing many different nationalities and the products they sold) are really what gives the Strip its character -- and I fear that is eroding quickly.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 12:45 PM
BANNED

Also, REO Speedwagon totally sucks.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
and I fear that is eroding quickly.
How do you figure? It seems to me that almost none of then retailers are leaving. There are only residents coming - hopefully livening up the streets.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 1:17 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Ayoob and Benkovitz... two more great names relegated to Strip District history. It would be nice to see those names carried on in some way with the new retail development planned for the site. All the different names (representing many different nationalities and the products they sold) are really what gives the Strip its character -- and I fear that is eroding quickly.
Read more about the Ayoob watermelon empire here:

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib.../s_148959.html

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 1:40 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Read more about the Ayoob watermelon empire here:

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib.../s_148959.html
Nice story. I love hearing details about businesses like that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations