HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 6:36 AM
Meh

Arrow Austin Events Thread

I thought we could use a thread for upcoming events in Austin. This city seems to throw a party for every occasion.

Red, White & Boom is back

The fireworks will be back this year at Lady Bird Lake.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 3:41 PM
Meh

Arrow Austin Events Thread

Leslie Fest 2012

When: Sunday June 24, 2012 @ 4 pm to 11:30 pm.

Where: Lipstick24 - 606 East 7th Street

Benefits Hospice Austin's Christopher House.

Leslie Fest - homepage on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lesli...21745557878526

RSVP on Facebook:

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 5:01 PM
Meh

Keep Austin Weird Festival + 5K

Where: The Long Center

When: Saturday - June 23, 2012 - Festival @ 2 pm - 5K @ 7 pm

http://www.keepaustinweirdfest.com/index.html

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 5:13 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Great idea, with so many events happening this thread will grow pretty fast.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 2:20 AM

Down the road, Fun Fun Fun Fest returns Nov. 2 - 4. The AAS mention this in today's paper. They also said it resembles Aquafest. NOTHING was like Aquafest! I was young and new to Austin when I made Aquafest my yearly pilgrimage. Saw SRV, Fabulous Thunderbirds, Los Lobos, Willie Nelson, Joe King Carrosco... Was a 10 day event back in the 80's. The Raft races were absolutely the coolest most fun thing I ever saw on Town Lake. Seems like most of the events today are about the same with the exception of SXSW and ACL. I would love to see the raft races return to LBL.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 2:57 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Down the road, Fun Fun Fun Fest returns Nov. 2 - 4. The AAS mention this in today's paper. They also said it resembles Aquafest. NOTHING was like Aquafest! I was young and new to Austin when I made Aquafest my yearly pilgrimage. Saw SRV, Fabulous Thunderbirds, Los Lobos, Willie Nelson, Joe King Carrosco... Was a 10 day event back in the 80's. The Raft races were absolutely the coolest most fun thing I ever saw on Town Lake. Seems like most of the events today are about the same with the exception of SXSW and ACL. I would love to see the raft races return to LBL.
Ah Aqua Fest was a tradition, we went every year from when I was a baby till the last year they held it. Loved the carnival rides and the music coordinated fireworks display which was actually better than the 4th of July display by far.
I really wish they would bring that back. Imagine the size of the festival now if it survived.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Ah Aqua Fest was a tradition, we went every year from when I was a baby till the last year they held it. Loved the carnival rides and the music coordinated fireworks display which was actually better than the 4th of July display by far.
I really wish they would bring that back. Imagine the size of the festival now if it survived.
what was aquafest about? when was the last time they had it? i first moved to austin in 1998.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 6:07 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
what was aquafest about? when was the last time they had it? i first moved to austin in 1998.
it was roughly the time you moved here that it ended, though it peaked several years before.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 2:05 AM

Aquafest started in the 60's at what was then Festival Beach next to the power plant. There was an amphitheater facing the lake where you could watch the drag boat races, and a water skiing competition. There were floating waterski jumps in the lake which was pretty cool to watch. Other events during the 10 days were, golf tournaments, fishing contests, canoe races, the Austin Grand Prix, Miss Austin Aqua Beauty Contest, night time illuminated raft and boat parade, kite flying, tons of food, carnival rides and games, Aerofest (which took place during Aquafest) had plane exhibits you could climb around in, and an incredible air show. Then there were fireworks, and of course, the music. They had 'Theme nights' such as German, Mexican, Western, Czech, Jazz, R & B, ect... When I got here in the early 80's, the fest had already moved to Auditorium Shores because it had gotten so huge, over 250K in attendance. This was basically my welcome to Austin. There was so much to do and see during Aquafest that I took a week of vacation every August to get in as much as I could. It basically celebrated the lakes and the 'River City'. The raft race was my favorite part. Hundreds if not thousands of people built homemade rafts out of just about anything from simple foam floats to pirate ships to multilevel platforms many with water cannons. They would launch around Mopac, and just ride the current pass I35. Imagine LBL with hundreds of colorful rafts loaded with thousands of drunks squirting each other with water guns and cannons. It may be hard for most of you to believe, but Austin was a beautiful city even without all the tall buildings we have now. In its peak, it was the grandest of any festival Austin had or will ever have including SXSW and ACL because of the huge amount of variety of things to see and do. It was a party for all of Austin and all ages, until many of the fun events were canned, basically everything except the music. And even that ended in 1998. But for me it ended when all the other stuff went away. Man, that was one cool fest... Sorry for the long description, but even so I probably left off a lot.

Last edited by the Genral; Jun 21, 2012 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 3:06 AM

I went to one Aqua Fest and was literally attacked by a Travis County Deputy. After a friend and I went through the entrance gate someone grabbed both my arms from behind me and tried to tackle me to the ground. I had no idea who was behind me so I managed to break free and give a right hand to the person as I turned around. It was female deputy. She wanted to arrest me for hitting her. But her partner knew she didn't identify herself and that we didn't sneak in and calmed her down. She had wrongly thought that I had sneaked in and decided that I deserved to be tackled from behind. They let me go. Me and my friend decided to leave. Aqua Fest sucked.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 7:26 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I went to one Aqua Fest and was literally attacked by a Travis County Deputy. After a friend and I went through the entrance gate someone grabbed both my arms from behind me and tried to tackle me to the ground. I had no idea who was behind me so I managed to break free and give a right hand to the person as I turned around. It was female deputy. She wanted to arrest me for hitting her. But her partner knew she didn't identify herself and that we didn't sneak in and calmed her down. She had wrongly thought that I had sneaked in and decided that I deserved to be tackled from behind. They let me go. Me and my friend decided to leave. Aqua Fest sucked.
Wow, when was that? Im sorry that happened to you. Sometimes cops unjustly harass people for any little reason even if you did nothing wrong. Happened to me when I was 24. Was driving late at night with my friend when we were pulled over for no reason. I was not speeding, used my signals properly. They pulled me and my friend out and questioned us seperatly seeing if we would tell them the same thing. Asking what we were doing in that area, why were we out so late ect... After 20 min they let us go. They basically thought we were out trying to get drugs when fact was we had left a friends house which just happened to be on the east side near the Booker T projects. Just at the wrong place at the wrong time. They did'nt ticket me cause they had no reason to stop us in the first place.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
That sort of over-zealousness is uncalled for and sucks that it happened to you. Imagine if it happened to an out of towner. Not only would they think the event sucked, but probably Austin too. Hope you got her badge #.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 8:12 PM

Here's an "event" that I missed. Lil Kim at Emo's!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 9:07 PM

I guess it's still early, but for those who love the Austin Hot Sauce festival, please note that it's been moved to Fiesta Gardens this year:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/Market/HotSauce/

Having attended most of the years, even before it was held in Waterloo park... Fiesta Gardens should be an improvement. Shade is very important since this outdoor festival is in August... and while there is a lot of shade in parts of Waterloo park, the main tent they set up for tasting was always right in the middle of the sun. So the 40+ minute lines were unshaded, and that gets miserable. Hopefully with the big permanent pavilion at Fiesta Gardens they can keep some of that line in the shade. I'm also hoping for a couple of degrees cooler since that location is right by the lake and lower elevation ... that probably sounds like very wishful thinking, but believe me every degree counts with this event!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 10:27 PM
Meh

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 8:02 AM

Quote:
your life could've practically been nearly ruined, and probably would have spent a good time in jail, had her partner not noticed the whole exchange. at the very least, you came out of it okay.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 4:11 AM
Meh

This mentions C3 would donate millions more to maintain Auditorium Shores.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...t-2422437.html
Quote:
ACL Fest could stretch to two weekends next year

By Sarah Coppola

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Updated: 10:33 p.m. Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Published: 10:26 p.m. Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Austin City Limits Music Festival producers are in talks with City of Austin officials to extend the popular three-day event by an extra weekend next year and in future years.

C3 Presents, the company that produces ACL Fest and other big events nationwide, would also increase the money it donates each year to help improve Austin parks, including a yet-to-be-determined amount "in the millions" to help renovate and maintain Auditorium Shores, C3 partner Charlie Jones told the American-Statesman.

In addition to paying park rental fees required of all big events held in city parks, C3 over the past several years has given millions of dollars to the city and the nonprofit Austin Parks Foundation to upgrade Zilker Park's Great Lawn, where the festival is held, and other Austin parks.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 11:30 PM

Smart move. Sandwiched between the two weekends will be some out of towners who stick around and spend money during the week. There's probably going to be other events scheduled to keep them busy and spending Monday through Thursday. Just when I thought ACLF couldn't get better...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 12:38 AM
Meh

It could allow them to sell more tickets, too, since it would be 6 days of music instead of 3. I'm sure they've had to turn people away who wanted tickets since there's a capacity cap at Zilker Park of 70,000. Potentially it could be a 420,000+ visitor event which would make it one of the largest for Austin.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 10:11 PM
Meh

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr...big-money.html
Quote:
Fan Fest, a longer ACL will mean big money

City likely to OK ACL but fate of F1-related concerts hazy now

Austin Business Journal by Robert Grattan, Staff Writer
Date: Friday, August 10, 2012, 5:00am CDT

Robert Grattan
Staff Writer- Austin Business Journal

Austin’s downtown businesses could see powerful economic benefits from a second weekend of the Austin City Limits Music Festival and new events surrounding the Formula One U.S. Grand Prix race if City Council members grant the needed permits.

Those who seek to cash in should mark Nov. 16-17 on their calendar. That’s the likely date for Circuit of the America’s proposed Austin Fan Fest, a two-day music festival on Auditorium Shores and throughout the Warehouse District

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin