HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 3:57 AM

If Spaceman would make a new friend he might know someone with the new area code.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
If Spaceman would make a new friend he might know someone with the new area code.
I never thought of that option, thanks

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:19 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Hot Rods and Hatters show is this Saturday in Lockhart. I went last year and had a good time. Great cars, great music, food, drinks, and good lookin' rockabilly girls.

www.hatrodproductions.com

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 5:12 AM
Meh

I saw this posted on "Remember in Austin, Tx...when" on Facebook and thought it was interesting. These are the ruins of a small waterpark slide that existed in Southeast Austin. They're still there.

You can see it on Google Earth. They're located about 5,000 feet south of William Cannon Drive east of I-35.

It was called Aqua Thrill Way.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 9:01 AM

That's interesting. By checking out the area on Google Earth and Streetview you can see that the place was turned into a XXX store. The slide starts from the edge of the parking lot for the place.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
That's interesting. By checking out the area on Google Earth and Streetview you can see that the place was turned into a XXX store. The slide starts from the edge of the parking lot for the place.
An adult slip-n-slide...hmmm

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jngreenlee View Post
An adult slip-n-slide...hmmm
I suspect that area is rather nasty.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 6:01 AM
Honored Member

It's become quite a work of art now! It would be pretty neat to have water slides that snaked through dense vegetation instead of sitting out in the middle of treeless, flat, concrete wastelands (no offense intended, Hawaiian Falls), especially if they're decorated with quality graffiti as this pair is.

Idea for a flash mob: figure out a way (water truck? fire hose?) to temporarily get water flowing down those at an adequate rate; have the water source and the people all show up at once and have a one-hour water park, or until the cops show up and shut it down.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 4:38 AM

This is way off topic. I want to ask other forumers whether they are having problems on SSP when the advertising decides to take over their browser. I can't get my screen to move or continue typing messages into a thread when this happens. It seems to be happening with more frequency lately. I tried using a different browser, but it still is a problem. I also cleared out my cache two different times. That does not really help, and i end up being logged out of all kind of sites that I like to visit. The ads at the bottom of the page seem to cause the most trouble. I am so sick of looking at that little twirling icon (Mac user here). I am wondering whether SSP is trying to force my hand and cause me to decide to pay for ad free access to the site. BTW, who runs SSP anyway? Is SSP a money making venture for somebody. I guess it must be. I have always just taken it for granted.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 4:52 AM

I'm getting pretty annoyed by the floating ads at the bottom of my screen. As I scroll down, it moves up into my view and if I miss the tiny 'X' close button, I have to wait while the ad loads. I'd be happy if that was eliminated. I don't appreciate ads being shoved in my face. And they don't go away for long after I close them...they come back.
I don't mind ads if they help support the operation of this forum, but the floating ads are a pain in the ass and have to go...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 5:05 AM

Install Adblocker and your worries will be over. I can barely access SSP and other sites from work (including the Statesman) because of ad caused crashes and lockups. But I have recently encountered a forum that I like (Detroityes.com) that won't allow access unless I disable Adblocker.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 5:14 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Remember that story about a year ago about the area on Manchaca Road south of Slaughter Lane being light-heartedly referred to as the new Rainey? Calling it Way South Austin or some other dumb name (Awesome, TX I think).

Another interesting bar opened a couple months ago, and it has a Frank's hot dog trailer out back.

http://www.indianrolleraustin.com/

Now, I'm not saying it's on the level of Rainey, and most patrons wouldn't want it to be, but it's becoming a happening little area for the southerners.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 5:34 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I'm getting pretty annoyed by the floating ads at the bottom of my screen. As I scroll down, it moves up into my view and if I miss the tiny 'X' close button, I have to wait while the ad loads. I'd be happy if that was eliminated. I don't appreciate ads being shoved in my face. And they don't go away for long after I close them...they come back.
I don't mind ads if they help support the operation of this forum, but the floating ads are a pain in the ass and have to go...
Thanks for posting that. I quoted your post in the "annoying ads" thread. Any that are excessive get reviewed for removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Remember that story about a year ago about the area on Manchaca Road south of Slaughter Lane being light-heartedly referred to as the new Rainey? Calling it Way South Austin or some other dumb name (Awesome, TX I think).

Another interesting bar opened a couple months ago, and it has a Frank's hot dog trailer out back.

Now, I'm not saying it's on the level of Rainey, and most patrons wouldn't want it to be, but it's becoming a happening little area for the southerners.
Speaking of food trailers, if you're in South Austin around William Cannon and Woodhue near the William Cannon rail bridge, check out that taco trailer in the parking lot next to the Valero station. I can't think of the name of it, but they have some really good food. I got 2 two chicken fajita tacos there a couple of days ago and they were delicious. Then over the weekend I had two sausage and egg breakfast tacos. It's really good, because none of it was greasy and they made it on the spot.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Install Adblocker and your worries will be over. I can barely access SSP and other sites from work (including the Statesman) because of ad caused crashes and lockups. But I have recently encountered a forum that I like (Detroityes.com) that won't allow access unless I disable Adblocker.
I just installed Adblocker for Firefox, and it seems to be working. I have no ads at the top or bottom of SSP screen. Hope this is the fix. Sorry to block SSP ads, but they brought it on themselves with intrusive advertising.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 7:47 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post

I'm intrigued. I've been following the stories about what's happening down there, and I have a friend who lives in the area who has talked about it, but I can't even picture what that area looks like or anything about it. Will have to take a road trip soon. Is it your impression that they're creating a real enclave of old South Austin, complete with alcoholic grey-ponytailed hippie/cowboy hybrids? Or is it yet another hipster mecca? Either way, it sounds worthy of some casual ethnographic research.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 8:59 PM

I suspect it is just youngish (under 40 mostly) people who live in South Austin and want a place to drink and hang out without all the hassle and hoopla associated with going downtown. South of Ben White has become an area that has caught on with people priced out of closer to downtown neighborhoods.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 9:49 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I know people of all ages and backgrounds that go to Moontower. Rich people, middle class, black, hispanic, white. All kinds. It's not really a hipster enclave...yet. Hopefully it remains eclectic.

I've been there a few times, and I saw as many 40+ folks as younger people.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 9:57 PM

I guess I just assume that most folks who goes out to a bar regularly are under 40, but truthfully I used to go out a lot to bars up into my fifties. I am big time on the wagon these days, so bars are not part of my current reality. I do know a few thirty somethings who regularly socialize at Moontower. I get most of my info from them.

Last edited by austlar1; Feb 17, 2015 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 10:05 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Perhaps I was there on a night when 50 year olds' drinks were half price or something. haha

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 1:58 AM
Meh

I'm not really a bar guy anyway. I'm not really into sports at all, and the idea of getting drunk or even a buzz in public and then having to plan a strategy to get home is off putting.

I'm more "at home" at a place where I can chill around a fire and think and talk about things. Where you're just on the edge of being cold, but the fire keeps you happy and nature keeps you entertained. Or better yet, do that at home or at my brother's or sister's houses, and then totally fall asleep later with a movie.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin