HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 7:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
What a shame that busy-body NIMBYS just cost the City of Chicago a $500,000,000 gift that would have has a positive long lasting impact.
Fucking exactly! No other way to spin this situation.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
What a shame that busy-body NIMBYS just cost the City of Chicago a $500,000,000 gift that would have has a positive long lasting impact.
I want nothing more for this museum to be a HUGE success wherever it lands, to be highly rated (by critics and/or regular people), have really positive economic and educational impacts on the city it's going to, and for everyone to realize how dumb it was to call it a "Star Wars Museum."

Really rooting for all of these things to happen. It's a shame that this didn't happen in Chicago - I guess fortunately it's not the city's fault this happen considering most people in the city were for it including virtually the entire city government. It's all thanks to an extremely small group of low lives who have nothing better to do than block it.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 7:23 PM

I hope the underlying question perhaps stays in court somehow to head off this kind of thing in the future. Maybe Chicago can sue FOTP seeking clarity

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 7:24 PM

Disgusting

Kamin's latest dribble in today's Tribune is absolute trash. We should push the Tribune to rid them of this arrogant ass

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Sterling Bay has also been a key source of funding for FOTP.

If Sterling Bay would ever like to get a project through the Planning Commission in the future I'd expect that would need to change.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 8:09 PM
dazzle me

i guess it'll be going to los angeles, but if it comes here to SF on treasure island, i really hope they keep the current design. really though, it's going to los angeles.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 8:21 PM
The City

Waiting for Mr D's oft-recycled comment about "FotP didn't block anything, they just quietly pointed out.....something something......private control.....something something......public trust....blah blah"

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 8:29 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Chicago will forever be stuck with these rural-minded clowns impeding and blocking forward thinking design. These fucking Pottery Barn fucking BMW driving fucking "don't block my view" idiot neighborhood groups need to fuck off back to Naperville with their bullshit lawsuit.

Fuck Blair Kamin. Fuck FOTP. Fuck the Midwest.

We'll never see world-class architecture on the level of MAD.
I normally find these rants of yours odd and silly, but I think this statement is hilarious and rings true

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 9:16 PM

They should name MPE the "Kamin Center" then landmark it so it can never be torn down.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Chicago will forever be stuck with these rural-minded clowns impeding and blocking forward thinking design. These fucking Pottery Barn fucking BMW driving fucking "don't block my view" idiot neighborhood groups need to fuck off back to Naperville with their bullshit lawsuit.

Fuck Blair Kamin. Fuck FOTP. Fuck the Midwest.

We'll never see world-class architecture on the level of MAD.
Chicago is the inventor of the modern skyscraper, and the capital of architecture recognized throughout the globe. Your comments are a bit uncalled for.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
i guess it'll be going to los angeles, but if it comes here to SF on treasure island, i really hope they keep the current design. really though, it's going to los angeles.
Proof?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 10:14 PM
dazzle me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Proof?
there's no proof to be had. we know that garcetti offered the land at USC, we know that LA will have no permit restrictions (treasure island location will require reducing the museum's size by 1/3, plus traffic is impossible to work out so will require a ferry system, with LA site will allow full size and is right off a freeway). we also know that construction costs will be higher at treasure island due to soil and scheduling with the other build out, along with risk of big costs in contamination beyond what the navy was required to remove, and the simple fact that labor at all levels costs more here than LA. the museum will see much higher attendance in LA (much larger catchment area, more tourists, better cultural fit) so that long term, it's a more sustainable locale. finally, LA doesn't have a bad history with lucas (i realize it's the presidio that fucked him last time, but whatever) and doesn't have a poked cat cadre of nimbys willing to challenge the use of the USC campus the way we have people who'd go after him here for the traffic to treasure island.

all of that makes a comment like this seem highly credible (beyond the fact that it's posted by a very credible user):
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I just spoke to someone at VOA who worked on the museum for over 2 years; They and others on that team were told that there will be layoffs next week, mostly because of this project being taken away.

They also mentioned that the museum will most likely be going to LA, based on internal scuttlebutt.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 10:45 PM

Good god. I just saw this now. Terrible for Chicago. Terrible for VOA and all the potential jobs and educational opportunities lost for our residents and tourists. Mr. D's response was as expected. Not much you can really say when everyone disagrees with you except for a bunch of neighborhood nut cases that prohibit growth and prosperity in a city. Embarrassing loss for Chicago in such a high profile situation. I echo Marothisu's comments about hoping the Lucas museum (wherever built) becomes a massive success.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
there's no proof to be had. we know that garcetti offered the land at USC, we know that LA will have no permit restrictions (treasure island location will require reducing the museum's size by 1/3, plus traffic is impossible to work out so will require a ferry system, with LA site will allow full size and is right off a freeway). we also know that construction costs will be higher at treasure island due to soil and scheduling with the other build out, along with risk of big costs in contamination beyond what the navy was required to remove, and the simple fact that labor at all levels costs more here than LA. the museum will see much higher attendance in LA (much larger catchment area, more tourists, better cultural fit) so that long term, it's a more sustainable locale. finally, LA doesn't have a bad history with lucas (i realize it's the presidio that fucked him last time, but whatever) and doesn't have a poked cat cadre of nimbys willing to challenge the use of the USC campus the way we have people who'd go after him here for the traffic to treasure island.

all of that makes a comment like this seem highly credible (beyond the fact that it's posted by a very credible user):
I agree that Treasure Island is an undesirable location. It's landfill FFS. He's gonna spend $1 billion on a museum and artwork only to have it sink into the bay during an earthquake? Not to mention the Bay Bridge is way over capacity already. Those that think tourists will consider ferries a viable option are delusional- where are the tourists going to park their cars while they get on the ferry? They would mostly be driving.

As far as the rest of SF, NIMBY bureaucracy will never let it happen. The Warriors basically had their new arena greenlighted by the governor, who made it exempt from environmental reviews, and lawsuits are still pushing it back year after year. Lucas being 72 does not have the patience or the time for that. He wants this built NOW.

So you are probably right that LA seems more desirable. Just wondering where the proof was. Would love it to be in NorCal. Lucas has a huge connection to SF (He lives in Marin county and the Lucas Arts headquarters is in the SF Presidio). But if he wants to build it in LA and he can get it done rapidly, then may the force be with him!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 1:16 AM

I think there is a chance that it might stay here, they haven't yet said exactly where else they are going and the appeals court has not ruled. This could be part of a charade to further skewer FOTPL along with the odd MPE proposal. One wonders if this is not a show for the courts as well as part of a true process to pursue alternatives. I mean look at what just happened:

1. City presents odd plan to tear down MPE which was a non starter for a variety of reasons the most important of which is that any of the minority of zealots on the FOTPL board/leadership could just carry on the lawsuit on their own if FOTPL settled.

2. FOTPL chooses to reject the golden MPE proposal publically.

3. The city publicly asks FOTPL to negotiate without telling them the MPE option is now off the table since they rejected it.

4. Unsurprisingly FOTPL makes total fools of themselves by publishing an outrageous list of demands, one of which is that they get the very MPE proposal they just rejected.

5. Someone with the city apparently implied to FOTPL's queen that all negotiation is off the table as of COB Tuesday if they don't agree to something reasonable.

6. FOTPL foolishly tries to "out" that implication to the public.

7. As promised Lucas Museum says they are leaving, but they don't commit to anywhere else and release any definite plans.

This all smacks of an attempt to force the appeals court to accept that yes, Chicago really is going to lose this based solely on the delays caused by the case and yes FOTPL is insane, please hurry up and rule.

I'm not saying that they aren't seriously considering going elsewhere, but unless the city drops out of the case in court, the LMNA ain't gone yet. They've gone awfully far down the road to just pull out before they hear the outcome of a decision that could very well wipe out FOTPL's entire position. I'm sure they are actively negotiating with these other cities, but until the case is dropped, Chicago could still end up with it. I only think this because the entire process has been utterly bizarre and Rahm doesn't just throw out crazy ideas for fun. I mean even today's announcement was just bizarre, "we're leaving, but won't say where". And team Emmanuel/Lucas was out in force on all forms of media ripping FOTPL a new one all day today. Arne Duncan was on WBEZ shitting on FOTPL and hitting every talking point they've had for months, Lucas released a statement directly calling out FOTPL, etc. etc. etc.

Do we have any idea when the appeals court was supposed to rule? That's probably the true drop dead date. I'm sure they are working on Plan B, but this whole FOTPL saga has just been odd.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 2:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Chicago is the inventor of the modern skyscraper, and the capital of architecture recognized throughout the globe. Your comments are a bit uncalled for.
Architecture died in Chicago died a long time ago. Modern design is completely lost on the simple minded citizens of this piece of shit town.

Kamin is a very fair representation of Chicago today: postmodern obsessed and short sighted

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I think there is a chance that it might stay here, they haven't yet said exactly where else they are going and the appeals court has not ruled.
I thought the same thing today for about 2 minutes, but I think this one is for real. My guess is that he's close to signing a good enough deal with a city like LA to make this happen. I'd be surprised if we didn't hear anything about it in another city in the next month or two.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 2:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Mr Downtown, I seriously don't understand why your on the side of Friends of the parking Lots.

I remember back a few years when this said DT lawyer was fighting against shadows in the south end of Grant Park.

Trust me, if FOTPL caved Mr D would have carried the torch.

He or she has stated many times that anyone with means could stop this...

She means it.

A troll but an educated lawyer troll like our past friend " Friends of Residences at RiverBend" to stop any buildings at Wolf point.

One in the same.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...-point-project

ITs a NIMBY pure and simple.

D you have a legalistic way to describe your positon but IMO you are on the same level and about as popular as Irizarry is in this bullheaded approach on this Billions of dollars of non tax paying gift.

I hope you are happy as Irizarry is and I hope a tall shadow follows you where ever your head may lie. Great Job you Juanita pawn.

Last edited by bnk; Jun 25, 2016 at 2:57 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 3:31 AM

The promise of removing lakeside center at McCormick place in the future should have been more than an equal swap for satisfying free and clear lakefront principles.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 3:33 AM
Urbane observer

Undoubtedly this is already in a lot of the press coverage, but I thought I'd post it just for completeness:

Friends of the Parks
Lucas Museum Departure Statement

Chicago, Illinois - "It is unfortunate that the Lucas Museum has made the decision to leave Chicago rather than locate the museum on one of several alternative sites that is not on Chicago's lakefront. That would have been the true win-win," said Friends of the Parks Executive Director Juanita Irizarry and Board Chair Lauren Moltz.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive