HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 8:05 AM
Meh

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 3:59 PM

Ice Skating on Shoal Creek in 1983.

http://www.texasarchive.org/library/...al_Creek,_1983

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I was picking up my wife from work at 9th and Congress that day. I got stuck on a hill, then out of nowhere, I felt a bump and started moving. It was APD pushing me up the hill with their car.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 12:32 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I was picking up my wife from work at 9th and Congress that day. I got stuck on a hill, then out of nowhere, I felt a bump and started moving. It was APD pushing me up the hill with their car.
Back then at least bumpers were more conducive to being bumped. These silly fiberglass things today crack and dent if you look at them wrong.

I don't miss driving a tank/boat, however. My first car was a 1982 Chevrolet that wasn't the prettiest thing to look at, but it was a legitimate tank...I feel like the only thing missing was the turret.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:12 PM

It's not quite "off topic" but also doesn't belong in any other threads, so I'm posting here:

I'm currently seeking freelance contributors for Austin Towers, and I figured there could be some folks on SSP with interest. We try to shoot for a wide variety of coverage, and want people to write about what they actually care about -- development news, architecture, engineering, transportation, history, city living, local politics, photo essays, opinion pieces, infrastructure deep dives, rants, raves, whatever you can bring to the table regarding the city.

We pay everyone who writes for us, and I assure you these stories are fun to research. If you'd like to get more info or send me a story pitch, my email's in my signature.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:30 PM

Austin just having a bad day. From a crane collapsing to a fire at the W.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 6:24 AM

Anyone care to guess in which US state are you more likely to hit a deer with your motor vehicle, and which is the least likely?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:02 AM
Meh

Quote:
Anyone care to guess in which US state are you more likely to hit a deer with your motor vehicle, and which is the least likely?
For least likely I would have to guess New Jersey? It's the most densely populated state which would make me think there would be fewer deer.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:10 AM

Quote:
From personal experience Texas. I have hit several deer in my past time driving through the back roads of the Texas Hill country. Somehow bad luck would always be waiting for me down a narrow street.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:46 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing since you are asking the question here, Texas is one of the two answers. I'll say it's the most likely one -- I've been in the vehicle when my wife hit a deer (and also when she hit a wild boar, which actually caused more damage to the car). Combination of poor drivers, unlit roads, and moderate deer population.

Least likely... Hawaii?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
For least likely I would have to guess New Jersey? It's the most densely populated state which would make me think there would be fewer deer.
There's actually a lot of deer in NJ.

Source: I'm from NJ.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
I'm from NJ.
Yous frum Joysee?

I had to do it....whata want from me?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:04 PM

You are most likely to hit a deer in...........West Virginia. Least likely in Hawaii. Texas came in 38th. I would have thought NY would have been closer to #1. I seen plenty of deer hits on my way to work when I used Taconic State Parkway, especially in the winter. NJ is 34th, and NY is 30th. The information was gathered by Stacker and represents comprehensive claims recorded by State Farm over the past few decades. I like reading dopey stats like these and the forum has been kind of slow lately, so....

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 6:18 AM

Quote:
You are most likely to hit a deer in...........West Virginia. Least likely in Hawaii. Texas came in 38th. I would have thought NY would have been closer to #1. I seen plenty of deer hits on my way to work when I used Taconic State Parkway, especially in the winter. NJ is 34th, and NY is 30th. The information was gathered by Stacker and represents comprehensive claims recorded by State Farm over the past few decades. I like reading dopey stats like these and the forum has been kind of slow lately, so....
Got one right at least! And I didn't even look it up!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 11:52 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
UT students left in a pinch after West Campus apartment complex overbooks
After one West Campus apartment complex signed leases with more tenants than they had room for, students who were supposed to live there are left searching for new options.
http://kxan.com/2018/01/24/ut-studen...lex-overbooks/

Since there's not a West Campus general thread (or perhaps I've missed it)... I'm curious how often this happens. I went to a very large school (albeit smaller than UT) and it happened on occasion there as well - one of my friends was out a few hundred bucks one year. I'm glad this kid is standing up for himself and others in this situation. Hope it all works out for them.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 2:55 AM
World Traveler

Not related to Austin, but a major step for Texas if it comes into fruition (which I sincerely hope it does). Downtown Dallas HSR station renderings, courtesy of Sic'EmBears on the Dallas Projects forum in City Compilations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic'EmBears View Post
Preliminary renderings for Texas Central's Downton Dallas bullet train station:

Watch video here.

Project Location

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 7:19 PM

The bullet train would be better if it stopped in Austin or at least central Texas. As of now, it is only for Houston and Dallas and some stop in the middle of nowhere.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
The bullet train would be better if it stopped in Austin or at least central Texas. As of now, it is only for Houston and Dallas and some stop in the middle of nowhere.
Small steps.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 8:19 PM
Meh

I always get the sense that Dallas is the urban guinea pig in Texas. If it goes well there I suspect it'll come to the rest of Texas.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 9:04 PM

Quote:
I always get the sense that Dallas is the urban guinea pig in Texas. If it goes well there I suspect it'll come to the rest of Texas.
There is already a 900 page txDot proposal for high speed rail from Oklahoma to Mexico with service through central Texas but the line bypasses Austin. The connection to Austin would be at the Airport, along FM 969, and in Manor at a possible intersection with the Green Line.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin