HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 4:58 PM

Just got back from the Mid-City market press conference. Nothing much of substance was said other than they had found more gas tanks on the property than they had initially thought were there.

Mainly went because I wanted to see the mayor in person. Felt like an old-fashioned political rally.

Karen Parker (WVUE) is stunning in person.

There were reps for Winn-Dixie, Pinkberry and Felipe's there. Didn't see anybody from Five Guys or Pei Wei.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:37 PM
TL;DR

There's also a 6pm meeting tonight at Cafe Istanbul for the riverfront park.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:57 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Just got back from the Mid-City market press conference. Nothing much of substance was said other than they had found more gas tanks on the property than they had initially thought were there.

Mainly went because I wanted to see the mayor in person. Felt like an old-fashioned political rally.

There were reps for Winn-Dixie, Pinkberry and Felipe's there. Didn't see anybody from Five Guys or Pei Wei.
Did they give any timeline on when construction should finish. Also will traffic be reconfigured at all on Carrolton?

New Permits:
5933 MAGAZINE ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70115
CONVERT 1ST FLOOR OF EXISTING 2-STRY STRUCTURE (5533-35)FOR RETAIL SPACE AS PER PLANS, BZA #034-12, PUBLIC WORKS APPROVAL AND PARKS AND PARKWAYS APPROVAL. (2ND FLOOR USED AS OFFICE)

201 MAGAZINE ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70130
INTERIOR BUILD OUT OF THE 7TH FLOOR FOR USE AS APARTMENTS AS PER PLANS. EXTERIOR RENOVATIONS 12COM-00361.

This is this building!

201 MAGAZINE ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70130

NEW CONSTRUCTION OF A 7TH FLOOR PENTHOUSE FACADE AS PER PLANS AND HDLCP-12-0239. NO FENCE,GATE COVERING OR RAILING ON THE ROOF. ( RELATED PERMITS-12COM-00129 & 12COM-00130 )

MID City Market Related Permits today:
301 N CARROLLTON AVE
NEW ORLEANS LA 70119
SITEWORK TO INCLUDERAINAGE, CUT AND FILL, PAVING, CURBS, SIDEWALKS, BUILDING PAD PREPARATION, IMPROVEMENTS TO CONTI STREET. (CITY PLANNING COMMISSION APROVED)

401 N CARROLLTON AVE
NEW ORLEANS LA 70119
SITEWORK TO INCLUDERAINAGE, CUT AND FILL, PAVING, CURBS, SIDEWALKS, BUILDING PAD PREPARATION, IMPROVEMENTS TO CONTI STREET. (CITY PLANNING COMMISSION APROVED)
$1,273,955.00

401 N CARROLLTON AVE
NEW ORLEANS LA 70119
NEW CONSTRUCTION OF A GROCERY STORE AND SITE WORK AS PER PLANS AND CITY PLANNING COMMISSION APPROVAL. (CITY MARKET WINN-DIXIE FOOD-PHARMACY)
$5,150,000.00

Also for the Foodies on here:

New Orleans to Get Food Truck Tracking App

http://nola.eater.com/archives/2012/...acking-app.php

Suis Generis Opens in the Bywater

http://nola.eater.com/archives/2012/...he-bywater.php

Also :

1. Basketball analyst Digger Phelps appeared on CNBC’s Squawk Box show to talk about the men’s NCAA basketball tournament known as March Madness. At the end of the segment (video here) Phelps said that in two weeks, coinciding with the Final Four in New Orleans, he will be on hand to announce that John McDonogh High School is going to become a “culinary high school.” Presumably that means the current culinary arts program at McDonogh will be expanded school-wide, and as the school transitions from Recovery School District to charter board governance, McDonogh will find a niche as a specialty high school where students learn culinary arts and the business of restaurant management and ownership.

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 20, 2012 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 6:26 PM

200 Baronne

Anyone know why they're erecting a massive crane in the 200 block of Baronne today? I assume it's to install / remove some new equipment from the roof of the First NBC building or something.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 7:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Anyone know why they're erecting a massive crane in the 200 block of Baronne today? I assume it's to install / remove some new equipment from the roof of the First NBC building or something.
Ill see if I can find a permit for anything... sounds mechanical though!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 10:52 PM
NOLA Razorback

Does anyone have any update on 1031 Canal or Tracage??

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 12:28 AM
TL;DR

My bad, the Riverfront Park meeting is tomorrow. Learned that the hard way.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 1:26 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
My bad, the Riverfront Park meeting is tomorrow. Learned that the hard way.
THATS AWESOME! Its like when I showed up this past christmas in a tacky christmas sweater somewhere and had the weekend wrong.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 1:37 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Does anyone have any update on 1031 Canal or Tracage??
1031 is still going through redrawings. Last I heard my friend said that its the best its looked so far, Tracage is on the ARC agenda for next month. ALso at todays meeting the South Market District Garage (929 Girod) was approved ... Notre Dame has some redraws to do.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 2:28 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
THATS AWESOME! Its like when I showed up this past christmas in a tacky christmas sweater somewhere and had the weekend wrong.
On the plus side, the Healing Center is pretty cool. And I got an awesome coffee at Orange Couch...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post

I was shocked, but happy, to see that the Bohn building was completely gone tonight. They have been doing site preparation for a few weeks so i was wondering when real work would start, and to see the whole thing gone in a matter of hours is remarkable. I hope progress continues as aggressively as they initially indicated.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Did they give any timeline on when construction should finish. Also will traffic be reconfigured at all on Carrolton?

Nah, like I said, there wasn't much substance. The thing I mentioned about the gas tanks was the only thing I remember not having heard before, it was mostly just talk about building the New Or-lea-nz that we want to live in and how great it was that the Lafitte Parkway could work with this project. I'd imagine that most of us here know more about the specifics of the project than the mayor does.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 2:57 PM

Claiborne Overpass

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ss...ne_avenue.html

Quote:
Transportation expert Jeffrey Tumlin will lead a discussion this evening at Tulane University on "Reimagining Claiborne Avenue." The event is free and open to the public.
The program will begin with a 6 p.m. reception, followed by a 6:30 p.m. lecture and discussion, in Thomson Hall on the second floor of Richardson Memorial Hall, home of the Tulane School of Architecture.
I would love to go tonight but I can't. If someone does go, can you report back to the rest of us?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 4:06 PM
TL;DR

^^ Claiborne meeting or Riverfront Park meeting? Decisions decisions...

The T-P reported on South Market District this morning... not too many details except for this:
Quote:
Developer Matt Schwartz, managing principal of Domain, which will own at least 50 percent of the project, said he's targeting home furniture and decor retailers who are not already in the market for the first phase as well as restaurants with outdoor tables that will line Girod Street. Domain plans to break ground in August or September; construction will take 18 months, and then it will take retailers two to four more months to build out their spaces, so the $69 million first phase of the project probably won't be operational until summer 2014.
"Home furniture and decor retailers" - gotta be Crate & Barrel or West Elm. Any other national chain I can think of is not very urban-friendly, except for Pottery Barn which is already "in the market" at Lakeside.

Does the first phase include more than just the parking garage? 18 months seems like a huge timeframe for a simple garage, even a nice one. There are skyscrapers that go up faster.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 4:07 PM

Idb

Great article on NOLA.com mentioning everything from Six Flags to South Market and a touch on Market Street Power Plant

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ns_on_sou.html

Here's the best part (in my mind)

Quote:
Developer Matt Schwartz, managing principal of Domain, which will own at least 50 percent of the project, said he's targeting home furniture and decor retailers who are not already in the market for the first phase as well as restaurants with outdoor tables that will line Girod Street. Domain plans to break ground in August or September; construction will take 18 months, and then it will take retailers two to four more months to build out their spaces, so the $69 million first phase of the project probably won't be operational until summer 2014.
5 months til groundbreaking!?!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 6:51 PM
-

Did anyone see that they are pressure washing the dome roof again already? Damn the thing gets dirty fast.

Off topic but Im glad we got naming rights on the dome before this bounty deal. Dont think it wouldve happened now.

Also whatever that deal is they are building in champions square behind Benson Tower, it looks to be getting close to finishing!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 6:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ss...ne_avenue.html

I would love to go tonight but I can't. If someone does go, can you report back to the rest of us?
I may try to go! Does anyone know if they will put the lecture online for those that cant make it?

So looks like Bass Pro will be locating in New Orleans East instead. Not sure I am surprised by that.

New Permit today:

Drury Inn Permit
820 POYDRAS ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70113
NEW CONSTRUCTION OF HOTEL WITH A PARKING GARAGE PART OF EXISTING FACILITY,INCREASING NUMBER OF UNITS,AS PER PLANS,CITY PLANNING DKT #: 16/11,HDLCP ???;ORDINANCE #: 24160 AND PUBLIC WORKS APPROVAL.
Job Value($):
$6,588,150.00

INTERIOR RENOVATION TO NEW HOTEL AS PER PLANS, 1ST FLOOR MEETING SPACE,2ND FLOOR PARKING AND 3RD FLOOR GUEST SUITEs
Job Value($):
$3,972,050.00

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 9:15 PM

Another restaurant to open up in the Bywater.

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf...en_a_full.html

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Did anyone see that they are pressure washing the dome roof again already? Damn the thing gets dirty fast.

Off topic but Im glad we got naming rights on the dome before this bounty deal. Dont think it wouldve happened now.

Also whatever that deal is they are building in champions square behind Benson Tower, it looks to be getting close to finishing!
They are actually supposed to repaint the roof this offseason and put a coating on it to prevent mold buildup.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 5:32 PM

Construction Updates

CityBusiness came out with their top 10 construction projects for 2012, as well as numerous updates on other projects. It's worth a read.

http://www.pageturnpro.com/New-Orlea.../index.html#/1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations