HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 4:33 PM
gettin' rich!

Minto is an art deco classic. It's so true to it's style as to be unbelieveable.

Maybe the Tower is a little bland, but the base more than makes up for it. And the detailing on that building is unreal.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 7:30 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridelwebmaster View Post
View of the downtown core from the southwest corner of the roof with a good view of Maple Leaf Gardens and Lake Ontario off in the distance.

I shot some photos around the building during a video shoot on March 20. It was a bleak day but I did manage to take a few interesting photos in and around the building.

Here's the view from PH residence 5's bedroom bedroom.

This is the living room view for PH Residence 2:

The view from the living room of PH Residence 4 looking towards the northeast:

View north towards Yonge & Eglinton showing the dramatic weather changes happening that day:

Northwest shot from the roof towards Yonge & Bloor.

View from the roof looking west along Wellesley. You can see Lake Ontario off to the right.

View down the east side of the building:

The cordless bungie jump view from the roof looking down the north side of the building to Verve's loft roof and swimming pool.

The view from the roof looking down the west side of the building to Wellesley below. To the left there is the interesting architectural feature that the southwest suites enjoy. A triangular outcropping provides almost a 270 degree view from the living room.

A view of "The Boat" on Verve's roof which houses the building's mechanicals.

Inside "The Boat" housing building mechanicals and air conditioning. This was a challenging piece to form because all the mechanicals (17,000 lb air conditioning unit!) had to be installed and formed around. The air conditioning was a lot of fun to install as it had to be manhandled into position the last couple of feet due to weight restrictions of the crane.

Looking up one of the two elevator shafts and showing that there is indeed light at the end of the tunnel:

The suites are well along to completion. Drywall is being installed past the 30th floor and cabinetry and appliances going in to the lower quarter of the building. Here's a shot of an almost finished suite on the lower level:

The Verve Construction video turned out well. I'll post the Youtube link when the post production is completed.
Tridelwebmaster gave us some interesting shots from the top of the Verve Condo. ( www.urbantoronto.ca)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 7:58 PM

^that's what a big city looks like.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 8:54 PM
Mooderator

wow..

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 9:39 PM

pics are epic!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 10:26 PM
Community Guy

EPCOR Tower finally seeing some activity:

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 12:33 AM

Sick Toronto pics!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 11:05 PM
Go Chiefs!

Toronto pics=

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 1:26 AM
Sophisticated Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Tridelwebmaster gave us some interesting shots from the top of the Verve Condo. ( www.urbantoronto.ca)
To emphasize Toronto's current boom:

Looking at pure Residential towers (ignoring mix use residential towers, such as condo/hotel buildings, etc), the Verve tower at 39 floors and 422 feet is:

The 12th tallest Residential tower in the Greater Toronto Area, when looking at completed buildings.

The 20th tallest Residential tower in the Greater Toronto Area, when looking at completed buildings and buildings under construction.

The 23rd tallest Residential tower in the Greater Toronto Area, when looking at completed buildings, buildings under construction, and buildings undergoing site preparation.

The 28th tallest Residential tower in the Greater Toronto Area, when looking at completed buildings, buildings under construction, buildings undergoing site preparation, and buildings in sales.

The 29th tallest Residential tower in the Greater Toronto Area, when looking at completed buildings, buildings under construction, buildings undergoing site preparation, buildings in sales, and buildings in pre-sales.

The 32nd tallest Residential tower in the Greater Toronto Area, when looking
at completed buildings, buildings under construction, buildings undergoing site preparation, buildings in sales, buildings in pre-sales, and approved buildings.

And finally the 43rd tallest Residential tower in the Greater Toronto Area, when looking at completed buildings, buildings under construction, buildings undergoing site preparation, buildings in sales, buildings in pre-sales, approved buildings, and proposed buildings.

Let the good times roll.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt, 1918.
"As Canadian as possible under the circumstances."
Urban Toronto

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 9:41 PM

I had to take a math tutorial to absorb your post... but point taken.

What's amazing about this boom is the number of quality projects (that would be big news in other cities) that aren't even on the radar.

I'm not a Diamond Schmitt fan, but here's a great example of a handsome, nicely massed (with some Toronto '60s historical references) building that would never even be discussed here. And it's pretty nice.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 9:55 PM
Closed account

Ya I like it a lot.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 10:30 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
To emphasize Toronto's current boom:

Looking at pure Residential towers (ignoring mix use residential towers, such as condo/hotel buildings, etc), the Verve tower at 39 floors and 422 feet is:

The 12th tallest Residential tower in the Greater Toronto Area, when looking at completed buildings.

The 20th tallest Residential tower in the Greater Toronto Area, when looking at completed buildings and buildings under construction.

The 23rd tallest Residential tower in the Greater Toronto Area, when looking at completed buildings, buildings under construction, and buildings undergoing site preparation.

The 28th tallest Residential tower in the Greater Toronto Area, when looking at completed buildings, buildings under construction, buildings undergoing site preparation, and buildings in sales.

The 29th tallest Residential tower in the Greater Toronto Area, when looking at completed buildings, buildings under construction, buildings undergoing site preparation, buildings in sales, and buildings in pre-sales.

The 32nd tallest Residential tower in the Greater Toronto Area, when looking
at completed buildings, buildings under construction, buildings undergoing site preparation, buildings in sales, buildings in pre-sales, and approved buildings.

And finally the 43rd tallest Residential tower in the Greater Toronto Area, when looking at completed buildings, buildings under construction, buildings undergoing site preparation, buildings in sales, buildings in pre-sales, approved buildings, and proposed buildings.

Let the good times roll.

pretty cool however Verve's height according to the latest committee of adjustments ruling is a smidge below 400 feet (too lazy to check SSP's database for an exact height)

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 10:47 PM

You of all people should know that those approvals don't match what gets built.

Only recently have they (staff) started to accurately document "mechanical + architectural feature" to achieve a real height.

I'll bet you 3 jugs of draft, Verve's "boat" is way, way above 400 feet (i have access to survey technology to validate the bet, should you accept).

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 1:52 AM
Dérive-r

A shot of the Woodward's development:

Originally posted by delirium, from flickr.com

And one by Jacques:

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 3:07 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
You of all people should know that those approvals don't match what gets built.

Only recently have they (staff) started to accurately document "mechanical + architectural feature" to achieve a real height.
The CofA agendas have always been ahead of staff reports when it comes to the specifics of building heights.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 3:08 AM
I am the law!

Woodward is pretty bulky for Vancouver ... probably a good thing

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 2:46 PM

I'm glad to see lots of canadians cities are going well. I am sure we will see Montreal in this list more often by the end of the year.

With all the proposed and approved tower, we might see something happens very soon.

Let's cross our fingers for Montreal and Winnipeg.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 2:51 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
I had to take a math tutorial to absorb your post... but point taken.

What's amazing about this boom is the number of quality projects (that would be big news in other cities) that aren't even on the radar.

I'm not a Diamond Schmitt fan, but here's a great example of a handsome, nicely massed (with some Toronto '60s historical references) building that would never even be discussed here. And it's pretty nice.

This is a nice project. And you are correct, if you hadn't brought it up would never be discussed here. - These little infill projects really will create an interesting visual appeal to many Toronto streets.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 4:02 PM

Woodward's looking very nice. I like its heft... very commanding. And the simple "mirror image" of the base is a very appealing, logical shape. Has the potential to be one of the better modern/historic "grafts" in the country.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 5:01 PM
gettin' rich!

yes, Woodwards looks nice. I didn't relize that it was intergrated with the historic base.

Very nice!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada