HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 8:40 PM

To me (this could be completely irrational) in hockey it seems perfectly fine to 'boo' and jeer the opposition, so I do partake while I'm in the stands.

However, at football games, I don't ever boo and hate it when others do. Not sure why, guess the atmosphere seems different.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 9:40 PM

We had some good chants going. Obviously the Ovie and Miller chants were gold. True North chant is great.

I just don't see a need everytime Stamkos, Alfredsson or Sedin touches the puck, that everyone needs to boo. Seems childish to me. Go to the game, have fun, drink and cheer all you want. Just being obnoxious to boo one guy all game, all season long. You boo Stamkos and he still scores 60 on ya.

To actually pay attention and look for a guy to come on the ice just to boo? C'mon. Why would you even boo Stamkos? Great Canadian kid, superstar in the league and you boo to get under his skin. He's actually doing a better job distracting you from the game you're watching than he is distracted on the ice. He doesn't here you guys. He's too busy scoring goals.

You ever been to another NHL city where everyone says Winnipeg fans are a bunch of clowns for booing everybody? Ya I have, more than one.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

You ever been to another NHL city where everyone says Winnipeg fans are a bunch of clowns for booing everybody? Ya I have, more than one.
I have as well, but in those same cities I have heard talk of how Winnipeg fans are among the most passionate, loud and knowledgable in the league. I think in terms of booing, we as Winnipeggers take our role as the sixth player very seriously. Some people may find it un-classy, but others revere us for it.
Neither opinion matters honestly. I say you should just do what you are comfortable doing, and let the rest go. There will always be ney-sayers about anything.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 10:58 PM
BANNED

Come on , Sedin had his worst year last year, look at his scoring the year before, and then after the Jets come back LOL. Maybe we had something to do with him falling on his face and coming down to his brothers same score.

And I have been to hockey games in other citys, I have seen many Americans, and especially TO fans who are horrid as they BOO their OWN team.
And how many times do you hear a NHL player saying how much he would love to have the fans we have, ( A LOT ). The only other city that can compare to our fan base is the Habs Fans.

Personally I do not boo though, as I am to fixated on the game ( tunnel vision ) lol.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 11:01 PM

To each there own. We have passionate fans, that I agree on (and am hugely grateful for!) I, however, will not be booing tomorrow.

And I was just using Sedin as an example. Too soft, hence the no show in the Finals against Boston.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 11:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
To each there own. We have passionate fans, that I agree on (and am hugely grateful for!) I, however, will not be booing tomorrow.

And I was just using Sedin as an example. Too soft, hence the no show in the Finals against Boston.
It is all good sir, like you said, to each their own.
I am just happy this stupid lockout is over and we can get on with our team building. Because to be honest, I think we have a good team now, some of them to young still, but one day they will be mature enough. But I think we will make the Playoffs this year and shut TSN's projections of us coming in LAST....

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 12:01 AM
What could go wrong?

Hey, TSN predicted Ottawa would finish last, last season and they had a really nice run in the playoffs last year taking the Rangers to game 7.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Yes, and thanks for your kind words! I've been quite enjoying life here -- and since I'm a weather geek by trade, I really don't mind the winters. In fact, the grey and rain on the coast is actually quite boring compared to the four seasons that we get here. I love having access to free outdoor rinks whenever they're available, and can't wait to take my son out onto them (he's still a bit small).

Its certainly a change from the coast...nice to see you're enjoying your time in the Peg. And, this point reminds me I need to grab a new pair of Skates soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
I like you two fellows, grew up watching the Jets and at the time for me was the Islanders ( this was when they were a good team winning the cup lol ). My days were the 80's with all the big names back then. I will always remember when the Jets made the payoffs with the Oilers, this was when the Oilers were the top team no less. And we won 3 straight, then lost 4 straight and they went on to win the Cup.

I have always found the old Jets and the New Jets, a odd team though. We can beat the BEST teams in the league, but when it comes to the bottom feeders, we lose. But I always love watching a WPG / Flyers game, always exciting.

And best of all, I scored two tickets for Feb 5th game against the Panthers. And 3rd row no less. Last year i only got one game in, but was cool as I was in the 8th row behind the net, it was a bad game against the Hurricanes but being so close to feel like you could touch Pav and the rest was thrilling as when I was a kid and tickets were CHEAP, I was as some may remember always up in the Mcdonalds section.

But I think this will be a good season, when I look back at last year we did fabulous in the first half, we were fighting for 3rd place even. Then the second half came and we fell apart for awhile. But given the short season, this may prove to be a bonus to us and I have a lot of faith in Joker, and Scheiff, and of course our new Goalie. I just hope they do not over tax Pav like they did last year as Montoya is a great goalie, he just had a shitty team in front of him. Kinda like poor Price does on the Habs.
It certainly is amazing how much the NHL has changed from the 80s to 90s, to now in the second decade of the 00s. Good call on Montoya....boggles my mind that he was essentially let go. The kid was a first round pick!! (6th overall in 04!) He just wasn't developed well, and there was no patience with his injury history.

Hopefully we can keep him around here as a Jet, develop him, and he might be able to truly shine through as originally intended. I always felt Montoya had a ton of potential, just was mishandled by previous management (Rangers didn't develop him properly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
I think it's great that we boo the opposing players and mess with opposing fans minds like we do. It creates a hostile environment for other teams to play in and hopefully puts them on edge. I don't think it makes our fanbase looks bad but more intimidating. I don't want an atmosphere of "hey look it's the other team. Let's help them to relax and encourage them to play well". There is enough of that coddling tripe in the rest of the leagues teams buildings. And I hope that it does make players of opposing teams aggrivated to play at the MTS Centre. That means that the strategy is working.
I love our fans.

As long as Jets fans don't become annoying (like Rider fans) then its all good.

I think sometimes those chants can bite us back though...like booing Eric Staal really came back to bite us.

Overall, I agree though, it does make MTSC a hostile place which I like. Winnipeggers have a hockey grudge anyway. We have a lot of pent up hockey cheers and jeers that need to get vented!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
"Crosby's Better... Crosby's Better"

"Silver medal... Silver medal..."

Everyone knows where these chants started. Not to mention the now immortal "TRUE NORTH!"

I think its awesome -- ask any hockey player (or ref) how much trash talking there is in a typical game, and having crowd participation is all part of the game. Besides, its no different than taunting a goalie, and every city does that... (except those that don't have enough fans show up to regular season games... ).
My fav overall was when Selanne came back...the booing each player followed by cheering Teemu...was just so awesome.

Quote:
We had some good chants going. Obviously the Ovie and Miller chants were gold. True North chant is great.

I just don't see a need everytime Stamkos, Alfredsson or Sedin touches the puck, that everyone needs to boo. Seems childish to me. Go to the game, have fun, drink and cheer all you want. Just being obnoxious to boo one guy all game, all season long. You boo Stamkos and he still scores 60 on ya.

To actually pay attention and look for a guy to come on the ice just to boo? C'mon. Why would you even boo Stamkos? Great Canadian kid, superstar in the league and you boo to get under his skin. He's actually doing a better job distracting you from the game you're watching than he is distracted on the ice. He doesn't here you guys. He's too busy scoring goals.

I agree with that aspect - it can come back and bite you in the ass, but its tough to say... I felt some boos were well placed, others were sort of questionable or pushing it. The crowd is still figuring itself though, I feel. Its still fresh.

I honestly don't see how its too different than Habs fans - they can get downright nasty with opposing teams sometimes. But its what makes the fanbase so passionate.

I'd rather we create a hostile territory, but I don't disagree with your assertion either; I think its quite valid.

The clown thing though? That's just jealousy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I have as well, but in those same cities I have heard talk of how Winnipeg fans are among the most passionate, loud and knowledgable in the league. I think in terms of booing, we as Winnipeggers take our role as the sixth player very seriously. Some people may find it un-classy, but others revere us for it.
Neither opinion matters honestly. I say you should just do what you are comfortable doing, and let the rest go. There will always be ney-sayers about anything.
Yep, pretty much this is how I see it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Hey, TSN predicted Ottawa would finish last, last season and they had a really nice run in the playoffs last year taking the Rangers to game 7.

I don't really mind if we end up last, to be honest. We're a team thats going to build through the draft, so high picks ain't a bad thing.

That said, I do believe we are being underestimated. Theres some serious talent on the team. But with some key players out, such as Bogo, a strong start does become a longer shot.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 10:28 PM

its amazing going through the history of this thread, form first page till now. Good times.

Anyone hoping the Jets introduce a 3rd jersey this upcoming season?

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 11:17 PM

They have already introduced an alternate jersey that would be cool for the team to use. They are pure black, with blue stripes on the arms. Very nice in my opinion.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 7:05 AM

Quote:
They have already introduced an alternate jersey that would be cool for the team to use. They are pure black, with blue stripes on the arms. Very nice in my opinion.
Where are you getting this from? I find it hard to believe.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie88 View Post
Where are you getting this from? I find it hard to believe.
I am getting it from my two eyes. Go to any of the Jets Gear stores and you will see. I personally go to the one in the MTS Centre. And my bad, they are grey stripes on the arms with blue lining the logo.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 12:34 PM

those are the NHL black ice series jerseys. you can get every nhl team in the style, not a third jersey.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 1:21 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy0019 View Post
those are the NHL black ice series jerseys. you can get every nhl team in the style, not a third jersey.
Exactly.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Exactly.

Interesting. Didn't know that. I saw them and I liked them that was about all there was to it. Though if every team has them, the appeal is lost on me.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Didn't know that. I saw them and I liked them that was about all there was to it. Though if every team has them, the appeal is lost on me.
still a cool collectors item for your favorite team if youre into jerseys

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 10:45 PM

Those Black Ice jerseys are some sort of awful.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 11:04 PM
I am a typical

I think they look cool, but what do I know? I'm just a homosexual graphic designer with a sharp focus on aesthetics and understanding of colour theory. AKA, "completely out of touch with what people actually want".

"Can you use comic sans? That makes it look friendly. Then add a lens flare, because we're cutting edge!!"

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 11:28 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I actually like those jerseys. Almost something out of Star Trek with all the different colours in basically the same uniform. Kind of gives it a thought that in the end, the hockey players are in the same league aiming to win for the same thing, which would be the Stanley Cup.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 7:52 PM

lmao jets lmao

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan