HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 10:52 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Texas may turn into a blue state in some of our lifetimes - depending of course if the current political parties are defined as they are today. The deep south used to be solidly blue until the civil rights act, after all, which had the effect of drastically changing the political positions of both parties. If there is a fundamental shift, who knows, California could also turn "red".
If California turns red, I imagine that means the Republican Party's policies have changed to the point they'd be acceptable even to me - so it's not really a concern.

So, the final tally of my life... I know one Trump supporter. She's not completely crazy, frowns and doesn't try to justify his many offenses, but she is so passionately anti-immigration that she'll forgive everything to put a dent in the worldwide movement of people. She's starting to console herself with phrases like well at least he brought these issues to the forefront and it can't just be forgotten now. ("People won't just sit by when that arsehole Trudeau brings 300,000 more God-fucking-knows-what into this country. You're so naive if you think that won't destroy this country in the long run. Just look at France, look at England. It doesn't work and a generation from now you'll be the ones fleeing to Iceland or wherever. I mean France is gone. It's finished. There's no way they can get their country back. People won't fall for it anymore, people are woke!" (Literally said "woke" - and she's white, older and barely uses the internet. I have no effing clue where she heard that).

Everyone else is either passionately or indifferently supporting Hillary.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 11:05 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
If California turns red, I imagine that means the Republican Party's policies have changed to the point they'd be acceptable even to me - so it's not really a concern.
California going red at this point (and I am not talking about this election - talking about this juncture in history) would require something big happening with the two parties themselves, or in American society in general.

Nothing in California itself or with its demographic evolution suggests a movement towards the current GOP. Trump or not.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 11:10 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Interesting that it is BC and Quebec that seem to be the most anti-Trump.
Is this really surprising to you?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 11:13 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is this really surprising to you?
Yes. I would expect BC and NB to have higher support for Trump than us. Which may be the case, really - can't tell much from lumped-together ATL results. Quebec as the other makes sense, though.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 11:13 AM

I just find it interesting how two significantly different major regions on opposite sides of the country can share some major forms of synergy. Also makes me proud of my home province.

Still, I wish that no area of Canada had more than a 10% approval of Trump, so all regions still have some work to do. (I can forgive up to 1 out of 10 people having a complete ass backwards opinion for whatever reason, but even the relatively low 2 or 3 out of 10 in BC / Quebec is still a little too high.)

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 11:26 AM

Too bad I don't get to vote in these elections.. Anything to keep the witch out.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 11:39 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I just find it interesting how two significantly different major regions on opposite sides of the country can share some major forms of synergy. Also makes me proud of my home province.
Even though they're not coming from the same place at all, Quebec and BC politically align on a number of things: legalization of drugs, gay rights, the environment, war vs. peacekeeping.

Though BC is a bit more conservative economically than Quebec is.

Also, rural BC outside of Vancouver and Victoria is more conservative on almost all metrics than rural Quebec outside Montreal is. But Vancouver in particular is big enough to push the whole province over the top.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 1:16 PM

I would say for BC it is more than just Victoria and Vancouver, it is pretty much the entire coast (North Coast, Vancouver Island, Gulf Islands, Sunshine Coast) that is heavily left leaning. The interior is on the conservative side save for the South Okanagan which has almost always voted NDP. (and in the last election the more left mindset seems to have crept a little into Kelowna).

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I would say for BC it is more than just Victoria and Vancouver, it is pretty much the entire coast (North Coast, Vancouver Island, Gulf Islands, Sunshine Coast) that is heavily left leaning. The interior is on the conservative side save for the South Okanagan which has almost always voted NDP. (and in the last election the more left mindset seems to have crept a little into Kelowna).
Quebec also aligns quite well with the 416 on many issues. Though it differs somewhat on economic philosophy and on the question of "multiculti". (Quebec also differs from BC on these two questions.)

Quebec also has its conservative outlier in a fairly large region south of Quebec City (Beauce, etc.), but it's economic and not really social conservatism that is at play there.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipv View Post
Too bad I don't get to vote in these elections.. Anything to keep the witch out.
You'd cut off your nose just to spite your face?

How anyone could want victory for that vile Tronald Dump is beyond me. The most flawed Presidential Candidate from a major party in at least a century, and a truly despicable human being.

Benghazi!!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

So, the final tally of my life... I know one Trump supporter. She's not completely crazy, frowns and doesn't try to justify his many offenses, but she is so passionately anti-immigration that she'll forgive everything to put a dent in the worldwide movement of people. She's starting to console herself with phrases like well at least he brought these issues to the forefront and it can't just be forgotten now. ("People won't just sit by when that arsehole Trudeau brings 300,000 more God-fucking-knows-what into this country. You're so naive if you think that won't destroy this country in the long run. Just look at France, look at England. It doesn't work and a generation from now you'll be the ones fleeing to Iceland or wherever. I mean France is gone. It's finished. There's no way they can get their country back. People won't fall for it anymore, people are woke!" (Literally said "woke" - and she's white, older and barely uses the internet. I have no effing clue where she heard that).

Everyone else is either passionately or indifferently supporting Hillary.
Is there much immigration into Newfoundland and Labrador? Seems like the places that get the least tend to fret about it the most.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:38 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Yes. I would expect BC and NB to have higher support for Trump than us. Which may be the case, really - can't tell much from lumped-together ATL results. Quebec as the other makes sense, though.
No, I wouldn't expect that in BC. I've heard nothing but horrified expressions of horror at the horrible prospects.

After all, I can see America from my house (seriously).

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Am I a party-pooper for thinking that those Canadians going down to the U.S. today for election night are barely a notch above the masses who flock to MuchMusic on Queen St. West to catch a glimpse of Justin Bieber or Paris Hilton?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Is there much immigration into Newfoundland and Labrador? Seems like the places that get the least tend to fret about it the most.
Yeah I've said that to her. "300,000 sure and if you think a single one of them is coming to the crescent you're mad."

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Am I a party-pooper for thinking that those Canadians going down to the U.S. today for election night are barely a notch above the masses who flock to MuchMusic on Queen St. West to catch a glimpse of Justin Bieber or Paris Hilton?
Political junkies tend to have a somewhat nerdy, intellectual veneer that I find lacking in Bieberland. Is Paris Hilton still alive?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Political junkies tend to have a somewhat nerdy, intellectual veneer that I find lacking in Bieberland. Is Paris Hilton still alive?
My sense is that a lot of these people aren't even remotely close to being political junkies.

They're fish drawn to a shiny metallic lure.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
You'd cut off your nose just to spite your face?

How anyone could want victory for that vile Tronald Dump is beyond me. The most flawed Presidential Candidate from a major party in at least a century, and a truly despicable human being.

Benghazi!!
Ha I love you ardent Hillary supporters.

You are intellectually dishonest, lazy and shallow. One doesn't have to even dig far to realize what a vile individual this creature is and I'm not talking about Trump. At least I'd know what I'm getting with him, not with that hellish being in pantsuits who is just itching to start the next big war, the next big thing.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 3:01 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

American politics has been severely distorted over the past few years. Democrats and Republicans actually have far more in common than they have differences. The public is constantly being subjected to a "divide and conquer" circus of distractions.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 3:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Ha I love you ardent Hillary supporters.

You are intellectually dishonest, lazy and shallow. One doesn't have to even dig far to realize what a vile individual this creature is and I'm not talking about Trump. At least I'd know what I'm getting with him, not with that hellish being in pantsuits who is just itching to start the next big war, the next big thing.
That's rich. Actually that is pretty lame.

please show me some evidence that I am "an ardent Hillary supporter".

And what are you getting with Trump? Please tell. At least offer some logical reason why you would cast your support his way. The last line of your post is just pure right wing echo chamber nonsense. You make yourself sound like Alex Jones.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Interesting to have the perspective of people like kool maudit and you on this election (who have seen firsthand HRC's fingerprints on the ex-Yugoslavia mess). It's... a stronger reaction than I'd have expected.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada