HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 10:33 PM
E pluribus unum

We've had a steady influx of Californians. Phoenix freeways are all kinds of fucked up: As in, you'll have some jackass doing 80+ in a 65 in the right lanes and someone in a Lincoln TownCar doing 55 in a 65 in the far left lanes.

Californians get a bad rap: At least they know how to drive consistently. If you're not doing at least 75 in all lanes on most of the freeways, you'll get run off the road.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 11:10 PM
E pluribus unum

Also Kyle, the guys on the Southwest subforum know you're in town and looking for stuff to do. Here's the link to the Southwest Coffee Talk http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...173766&page=47

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 1:08 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Our rental has California plates.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 4:42 AM
E pluribus unum

Keep track of how many Arizonans get out of your way.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 6:03 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Boy, the Michigan sports press is having a field day with Jim Tressel's resignation...as well they should, though. Talk about hubris.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 6:19 AM
I am a typical

The Canadian sports press is having a field day with Winnipeg getting an NHL team and probably doesn't care about who or what a Jim Tressel is.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 6:55 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

That's pefectly okay, because Americans don't have any idea who or what a "Winnipeg" is. They probably think it's some lewd act that gets performed on you in a back-alley.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 4:06 PM
E pluribus unum

As someone tired of wimpy-ass Tresselball, I say good riddance. However, Ohio State will only wish they had the punishment USC had when the NCAA hammer comes down in August.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 7:20 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
That's pefectly okay, because Americans don't have any idea who or what a "Winnipeg" is. They probably think it's some lewd act that gets performed on you in a back-alley.
I was Winnipegged last night... not as bad as you'd think.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 11:25 PM
Old Fart Forumer

I got Winnipegged once (in the Navy), and had to get shots for it.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 11:39 PM

Winnipeg is actually a competition for pirates.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 11:48 PM
I like this much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
We've had a steady influx of Californians. Phoenix freeways are all kinds of fucked up: As in, you'll have some jackass doing 80+ in a 65 in the right lanes and someone in a Lincoln TownCar doing 55 in a 65 in the far left lanes.

Californians get a bad rap: At least they know how to drive consistently. If you're not doing at least 75 in all lanes on most of the freeways, you'll get run off the road.
I remember driving during 01-02 (my then gf now ex wife lived in Mesa and I was hauling ass down the 60 on a regular basis... that's the spot, actually, where my in-car thermometer read 134F) and the freeways being VERY fast. very. freaking. fast.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 11:58 PM
E pluribus unum

They're fast, sure, but there's no rhyme or reason to it. In LA, everyone speeds. In Phoenix, some people speed, but others don't, and nobody seems to have any respect for the passing lanes being used for their intended purposes.

Then there's my cousin from Ohio, who after returning to my parents house in South Phoenix from a trip to Glendale, said "I didn't realize the speed limits out here were a suggestion."

Ohio's an odd one, though. Some of the slowest drivers ever (which makes sense given there seems to be a state trooper at every mile marker), with the possible exception of Greater Cincinnati.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 12:46 AM
Bah!

Is it terrible of me to really resent and despise the nazi safety inspector at my workplace who's ALWAY riding me about "safety" trifles and "hazards" in my work area when she's a big, fat gigantic hog. I'm not disrespecting all overweight people but I see what this woman eats and it's nauseating. She gets big frosting covered dougnut in the morning, a mayonnaise slathered pasta salad and whipped-creamy dessert at lunch and a Pepsi at all three breaks....and she's dictating how I should stay "safe". She doesn't even walk, she waddles like a overgrown penguin in pastel-colored Lane Bryant stretch pants and wheezes like a leaky tire after moving only and few feet.

Sorry if that comes off as rude.

Last edited by rockyi; Jun 3, 2011 at 12:58 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 5:17 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Downtown Phoenix is really, really quiet.

I thought midtown (is that correct?) was better, but pretty much a one-street corridor.

CityNorth was alright too (seemed like an urban lifestyle center), but really far away from anywhere.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 5:32 AM
E pluribus unum

Midtown? As in, Central Avenue north of McDowell and south of Indian School?

That's my old stomping grounds (I used to work at Park Central), and it happens to be ground zero for Phoenix's (admittedly small) gay community.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 1:49 PM
Uncle Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyi View Post
Is it terrible of me to really resent and despise the nazi safety inspector at my workplace who's ALWAY riding me about "safety" trifles and "hazards" in my work area when she's a big, fat gigantic hog. I'm not disrespecting all overweight people but I see what this woman eats and it's nauseating. She gets big frosting covered dougnut in the morning, a mayonnaise slathered pasta salad and whipped-creamy dessert at lunch and a Pepsi at all three breaks....and she's dictating how I should stay "safe". She doesn't even walk, she waddles like a overgrown penguin in pastel-colored Lane Bryant stretch pants and wheezes like a leaky tire after moving only and few feet.

Sorry if that comes off as rude.
Is she cute?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 3:39 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Midtown? As in, Central Avenue north of McDowell and south of Indian School?
I think so. That cluster of highrises North of downtown. I just assumed it was called midtown, as that's what most multi-core cities seem to do.

Quote:
That's my old stomping grounds (I used to work at Park Central), and it happens to be ground zero for Phoenix's (admittedly small) gay community.
Well it looks like the gays are doing better than most other communities then. I can see Phoenix being a nice place to visit (I wouldn't mind using it as a base for road trips throughout the SW, and I'd like to do some hiking in the area), but I'd be pretty concerned if I lived here full time. The amount of boarded up and for lease commercial properties is astonishing. It looked like one of the few old art deco highrises was also empty, unfortunately.

It seems like people put all their money into rims for their old Explorer or Blazer.
I also found that quite amazing - I've never seen so many vehicles with rims. I wouldn't be surprised if 10% of cars had fancy wheels on them.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 5:21 PM
Honored Member

Phoenix and Tucson are going to be the Detroit and Flint of 2030.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 9:02 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Well it looks like the gays are doing better than most other communities then. I can see Phoenix being a nice place to visit (I wouldn't mind using it as a base for road trips throughout the SW, and I'd like to do some hiking in the area), but I'd be pretty concerned if I lived here full time. The amount of boarded up and for lease commercial properties is astonishing. It looked like one of the few old art deco highrises was also empty, unfortunately.

It seems like people put all their money into rims for their old Explorer or Blazer.
I also found that quite amazing - I've never seen so many vehicles with rims. I wouldn't be surprised if 10% of cars had fancy wheels on them.
Phoenix got hit hard when the real estate bubble popped. The majority of Arizona's economy is based on tourism and home construction. Keep in mind, Wal-Mart is the state's largest private employer, and of the few companies headquartered here (Petsmart, Apollo Group), hardly any have any noticeable corporate presence (compared to, say Detroit with the Big Three or Cincinnati with P&G and Kroger).

I'm guessing the empty art deco building you saw was right by the Chase Tower on Central and Monroe? I think that's called the Hotel Monroe and its been vacant for a long time (even before the real estate bust).

I haven't been to Downtown Phoenix since before Cityscape opened.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest