HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 12:56 PM

I still can't believe there is currently only one train departure from Toronto to Montreal early in the morning. Hell maybe I am naïve, but I thought there would be something like one every hour from 5 am to 8 am.

Combined with more reasonable pricing for a monthly pass, that would potentially be a game changer for Cornwall, which is only an hour away from downtown Montreal by train. This would probably appeal to a fringe of the population that wants to work in Montreal but remain Ontario residents while living in a relatively urban context. (I know Cornwall is nothing special, but it could improve)

Edit: I just realized that a train leaving Toronto at 5 am would still not be able to make it to Montreal before 10:15 am. A train would have to leave Toronto around 3:30 am with a stop in Cornwall at 7:30 to be in Montreal before the usual work hours and I am not sure there is much of a demand for that. That would explain the lack of early trains between Cornwall and Montreal. HST would fix that

Last edited by le calmar; Aug 30, 2017 at 1:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I still can't believe there is currently only one train departure from Toronto to Montreal early in the morning. Hell maybe I am naïve, but I thought there would be something like one every hour from 5 am to 8 am.

Combined with more reasonable pricing for a monthly pass, that would potentially be a game changer for Cornwall, which is only an hour away from downtown Montreal by train. This would probably appeal to a fringe of the population that wants to work in Montreal but remain Ontario residents while living in a relatively urban context. (I know Cornwall is nothing special, but it could improve)

Edit: I just realized that a train leaving Toronto at 5 am would still not be able to make it to Montreal before 10:15 am. A train would have to leave Toronto around 3:30 am with a stop in Cornwall at 7:30 to be in Montreal before the usual work hours and I am not sure there is much of a demand for that. That would explain the lack of early trains between Cornwall and Montreal. HST would fix that
Any prospect of HFR or HSR will go through Ottawa as the cost will allow for only one route. My understanding is that the former CPR right of way from Rigaud to Ottawa is owned by VIA rail and is earmarked for HSR if this ever happens. The only way to improve rail service via Cornwall is to add a commuter run either starting at Cornwall or an early train starting from Kingston. Is there a sufficient market for this without requiring enormous subsidies?

The economics of Ottawa-Montreal and Ottawa-Kingston seem more realistic than Kingston-Montreal and is probably why there is no Kingston-Montreal early AM train already.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal