HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Is that even necessary? The blue line gets you downtown pretty quick.
Ehh ~45 minutes with tons of stop and go. If Musk can deliver on his claimed cost savings then it may be worth it if the trip can be done in ~10 minutes. Otherwise definitely not worth the cost.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 4:07 AM
BANNED

How does that compare to other cities? In Tokyo I remember it taking about 40 minutes to get from Narita to the city center too. I think thats pretty typical.

Besides, I just can't imagine a multi billion dollar tunnel to shorten commute times to downtown by 30 minutes being worth the cost at all. This smells like another crackpot Musk idea.

Last edited by ChargerCarl; Jun 29, 2017 at 4:23 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 2:54 PM

It's not clear what makes his TBMs any better.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 6:03 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Not to the public anyway... I've heard his goal was to use lasers to melt rock faster and cheaper than by conventional drills... And to automate the process... Who knows if the prototype tunnels were built using this tech or not...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 11:37 PM

His TBM has already started tunnelling in L.A. who knows what will run through it.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Theres already a surface transit technology that accomplishes this much more efficiently: high speed rail.

High speed rail + rezoning cities for more growth and building out local transit systems is much more desirable than this crap.
HSR does nothing when someone is driving their van on a road trip that is 1100 miles going through a city with 5 people in the car. I feel like a lot of people on this forum are single and reletively well off. 5 people paying for a train ticket could get astronomical. 5 people driving in a car at todays gas prices.....hard to turn down the time loss. If I were to fly from where I live to my parents, it would cost me around 350-500. Times this by two, since my wifes family also lives there, and im looking at 700-1000 to get home. HSR would be comparable. Driving? This costs me 150-200. I only fly when I have limited time for vacation.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 5:12 PM

Elon Musk Just Said the New York-DC Hyperloop is Coming

https://www.inverse.com/article/3443...k-dc-hyperloop

Quote:

- Elon Musk tweeted Thursday that he has received verbal government approval to build a hyperloop from New York to Washington, D.C. The futuristic train system, which will be built by Musk’s Boring Company tunnel digging venture, will cut travel time between the two cities to just 29 minutes. “Just received verbal govt approval for The Boring Company to build an underground NY-Phil-Balt-DC Hyperloop,” Musk posted on his Twitter page Thursday. He added, “NY-DC in 29 mins. City center to city center in each case, with up to a dozen or more entry/exit elevators in each city.”

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 6:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Elon Musk Just Said the New York-DC Hyperloop is Coming

https://www.inverse.com/article/3443...k-dc-hyperloop
I commute from Philly to NYC at least 4 times a week, and usually 5, so I would welcome this. However, a verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 6:33 PM

Only if he pays for it out of his pocket, then afterwards he can collect the fares.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:08 PM
Show me the blueprints

Hell is damn cold

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 4:02 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

It'll happen because it's Elon Musk. Has he failed miserably at anything yet? It might not be on the pace we expect but at least that means 'Murica (pew! pew!) will probably get at least one proper hyperloop network started in the next decade... I have a sneaking suspicion we'll see The Boring Company and Hyperloop companies partner for at least urban sections where overland pipeline style tubes just aren't going to cut it, literally... Places like Boston, Manhattan, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, etc.

He might be the smartest guy in the room but I'm onto his bundling patterns of products and services and his Trump/Jobian personal branding at this point... So even if he doesn't have or doesn't want to pony up his own cash I am sure his brand can help sell the project to say Saudi Royals with huge wallets or Chinese investment firms looking to buy up more damaged goods and/or emerging tech markets.. Shit, if Addis Ababa can have the Chinese design, build and finance a metro network in only a few short years just think of what they can do with hyperloop investment.. Ironically a Charm Offensive-Red Dawn program care of Beijing and Shanghai might just be the nations best bet on getting its critically eroding infrastructure up to snuff

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 3:03 PM

This newest proposal - of essentially duplicating the NEC for hyperloop, and all underground - is exactly the sort of reason some people hate/distrust Elon Musk. He isn't helping his reputation here at all.

The dude has an amazing ability to design better vehicles. His electric cars and reusable rockets are amazing technical break-throughs. I have little doubt that a hyperloop pod would also function as designed, and that he can make a tunnel boring machine that is faster and more efficient than current machines.

But the thing with tunnels and hyperloop tubes is that these are not vehicles, these are infrastructure, and he has very little experience dealing with that. The closest he's gotten to developing his own infrastructure is probably the Tesla Supercharger network, which has developed much slower than promised and is still missing key features from the original concept, such as solar panels over the charging stalls or on-site backup batteries. Wait times at some superchargers is more proof poorly-managed/planned infrastructure; what is the point of having a 39-minute trip time from NYC to DC if you have to wait two hours for it?
His battery-swap station is also an obvious failure; when he gave people the choice of 'fast or free,' they almost unanimously chose 'free'. And that gets to the heart of the hyperloop problem as well: It delivers too much speed but not enough capacity. It will be like the Concorde (Musk's own analogy, BTW), where only the super rich will be able to afford it due to 1) the costs of super-high speed operations and 2) the severe capacity restrictions of moving only 840 passengers per hour and all the subsequent supply-and-demand repercussions that will have. With a maximum capacity this low, no government would feel like it is a worthy use of money compared to other forms of transportation, leaving Musk to build the world's longest tunnel all on his own.

tl;dr, Musk can probably make a working functional hyperloop, and can probably bring down the cost of building tunnels suitable for hyperloop pods. But to actually turn these endeavors into profitable businesses would require him to branch out into areas where he hasn't worked before: infrastructure. And the reason why infrastructure is so daunting is because it is awash in subsidies and government regulation, enough to stifle the free market from participating. The automotive business (electric and gas-fired cars) is only profitable because the government pays massive subsidies for the roads these cars drive on. Airlines are only profitable because the public pays massive subsidies to build airports and keep the FAA and air-traffic control in operation. If Hyperloop is going to be profitable, Musk will have to get a government to subsidize the infrastructure aspect of it, and in the case of Hyperloop we're talking about the most expensive type of infrastructure there is, tunnels. Combine this with the low capacity of the hyperloop system, and you've got a system that is going for all the wrong records - most expensive cost-per-passenger-mile of any transportation system.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and he's earned the respect people give him. I love his rockets and I love his cars - I'm waiting on my own Tesla to arrive. But I hate the way he is able to draw attention (and probably soon money as well) away from worthy transit and high-speed rail projects with his proposals for hyperloops and tunnels that clearly won't solve the problem he claims to be addressing.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 3:31 PM

Last edited by Urbana; Feb 26, 2024 at 4:26 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and he's earned the respect people give him.
I love the guy too. He's been pretty amazing. He's adorable for all his efforts to make everything backward really retarded. He would spend his entire fortune in his things, and I have such a mad respect for him.
He just embodies the engineering spirit very well. Too few guys like him out there and over here.

I just hate the fake people in the US showing off their holy traditions for their sweet families, but then they wouldn't give a dollar to what you're calling infrastructures, these basic investments for tomorrow. This proves them deeply hypocritical. They don't even think about their own grand-children. It's truly upsetting.
Please, discredit those. Humiliate them in public if needed, till they awake.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 4:38 PM

Elon Musk’s Boring Company is actually boring, and that’s what will make it such a huge success

https://qz.com/1051061/elon-musks-bo...-huge-success/

Quote:

- One reason tunnel digging in the US is so pricey is that labor costs there are much higher than in most other parts of the world. Productivity is also higher in the US, and major strides are being made on making burrowing machinery more efficient; Musk has talked about increasing the power of drilling machines and automating tunnel reinforcements, all of which would increase speed.

- But to be successful, Musk doesn’t have to do any of that. He merely has to avoid what is actually causing the exorbitant costs in the US market: a combination of how few drilling companies there are in America, the inefficiencies of governments (the only real buyers when it comes to tunnels), expensive union contracts, and onerous governmental regulations. Musk has already done this once, to massive success.

- Musk has said that SpaceX, his rocket company, was born when he was personally exploring how to send a miniature greenhouse to Mars on his own dime and found it prohibitively expensive. It would be cheaper, he decided, to build his own rocket. There’s no reason to doubt that’s part of the story, and there is real innovation now coming out of SpaceX; they had to build their own engines and rockets and there’s the promise that their larger and reusable rockets will greatly reduce the cost of getting something to orbit.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Musk has said that SpaceX, his rocket company, was born when he was personally exploring how to send a miniature greenhouse to Mars on his own dime
This may be a problem for Musk's vision of sending humans to Mars:

Quote:
Scientists overlooked a major problem with going to Mars — and they fear it could be a suicide mission
Gene Kim and Jessica Orwig
Jun. 20, 2017, 10:55 AM 134,051

Scientists have long known high levels of radiation exists on Mars. But could it be so high that humans won't be able to handle when we get there?

The risk of cancer on Mars is twice as high as previously thought.

It comes down to how damaged DNA spreads throughout the body . . . . Damaged DNA doesn't just keep to itself.

It sends signals to nearby healthy cells, which triggers the healthy cells to mutate, which could cause more cancer.

Previous models hadn't accounted for this domino effect. Even radiation shielding only moderately reduces the risk . . . .
http://www.businessinsider.com/scien...issions-2017-6

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 6:43 PM

Hawthorne approves Elon Musk’s test tunnel beneath city streets

http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/...h-city-streets

Quote:

- Hawthorne leaders have signed off on construction of tech tycoon Elon Musk’s first test tunnel for electric vehicles extending west from SpaceX headquarters. The City Council approved the two-mile underground track Tuesday night in a 4-1 vote, with only Councilman Nilo Michelin dissenting. Digging the tunnel beyond the SpaceX property line, extending to beneath city streets, could begin any day. But don’t expect to see any dirt-covered construction workers or feel any underground rumbling along the route, which veers west under the northeast corner of Hawthorne Municipal Airport and along 120th Street.

“You don’t see it, don’t hear it, and certainly don’t feel it,” said Brett Horton, SpaceX’s senior director of facilities and construction, who also oversees Boring Co. work. The company will aggressively monitor the impact of the tunneling and immediately stop work if the surface ground subsides by a half-inch above the tunnel, he said. The company already has built a shaft and a 160-foot-long tunnel entrance in SpaceX’s old parking lot, across the street from its 1 Rocket Road headquarters. “Everything happens underground,” Horton said. “We won’t have construction crews walking down the street. We won’t have excavators.”

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 4:23 PM

Elon Musk’s idea for commercial rocket travel on Earth would be a logistical nightmare

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/29/1...point-to-point

Quote:

- Musk himself was pretty light on details when he proposed the idea at the tail end of his speech at a space industry conference yesterday. Basically, it boils down to using SpaceX’s forthcoming mega-rocket (codenamed Big Fucking Rocket, or BFR for short) to lift a massive spaceship into orbit around the Earth. The ship would then settle down on floating landing pads near major cities. Both the new rocket and spaceship are currently theoretical, though Musk did say that he hopes to begin construction on the rocket in the next six to nine months.

- He didn’t say much about the enormous risks passengers would face by boarding one of these rockets for a breezy trip from Shanghai to Paris or Dubai. SpaceX has been successfully landing its Falcon 9 rockets for more than a year, but getting there involved many explosions. There have been more successes than failures, but still, the current rate in which Musk’s rockets explode is unacceptable for any commercial standpoint. A dramatic increase in passenger safety would be needed before anyone would feel safe enough stepping on board a SpaceX rocket.

- The stresses of spaceflight, even during short trips, are also daunting to consider. Will people be willing to put their bodies through this kind of experience, just to shave a few hours off their trips? From a physics standpoint, what Musk is proposing is certainly achievable. We have intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of being fired into orbit and then detonating warheads at a target on Earth in about 30 minutes. Why not humans?

- “You can’t fly humans on that same kind of orbit,” Brian Weeden, director of program planning for Secure World Foundation, told The Verge. “For one, the acceleration and the G-forces for both the launch and the reentry would kill people. I don’t have it right in front of me, but it’s a lot more than the G-forces on an astronaut we see today going up into space and coming back down, and that’s not inconsiderable.”

- Another problem with ballistic trajectory is radiation exposure in the vacuum of space, Weeden added. To be sure, astronauts on the International Space Station are largely shielded from this radiation, thanks to Earth’s magnetic field, which deflects most of the deep-space particles. But his indifference toward the impact that these interstellar concepts would have on human bodies is classic Musk.

- Cost is another huge hurdle. Musk claimed these rocket trips would be as inexpensive as commercial air travel. But that assumes a level of scale that is particularly hard to fathom. A recent study by the US Air Force found that reusable rockets were good for about 100 flights, while commercial airplanes could stay in operation for up to 10,000 flights. As such, Musk’s point-to-point rockets are “probably going to be 10 times the cost per-seat,” said Charles Miller, president of NexGen Space LLC. “He may be 1-in-10,000 [for] loss of vehicle, but it’s nowhere near the 3-and-10 million reliability of airlines.”

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 9:20 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
HSR does nothing when someone is driving their van on a road trip that is 1100 miles going through a city with 5 people in the car. I feel like a lot of people on this forum are single and reletively well off. 5 people paying for a train ticket could get astronomical. 5 people driving in a car at todays gas prices.....hard to turn down the time loss. If I were to fly from where I live to my parents, it would cost me around 350-500. Times this by two, since my wifes family also lives there, and im looking at 700-1000 to get home. HSR would be comparable. Driving? This costs me 150-200. I only fly when I have limited time for vacation.
Yeah, I guess if you are extremely price conscious. I'm struggling to think of anything worse than driving 1100 miles, especially with kids. You are wild af, no beef

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 1:37 AM
Show me the blueprints

Priorities are different from person to person. Different strokes for different folks. Just becuase you couldn't imagine a scenario, which I complete understand btw, doesn't mean that the choice to travel by rail would not be the extremely logical first choice by another person or family. Variety is the spice of life.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation