HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
South Beach (especially the walkable part) also a very small area, and I bet that car ownership is high even there. South Beach isn't known for transit or job proximity.

Look at commute mode splits as a far more important data point.
29% of Miami Beach residents do not own a car, I assume the % is much higher just in South Beach, people claim "more than half" do not own a car. City of Miami is at 21.5% not owning cars.

A big part of this though is just a measure of geographic city sizes.
Carless % of the cities on the list:
NYC: 55.7%
DC: 37.9%
Boston: 35.8%
Philly: 33.1%
SF: 30.4%
Chicago: 27.3%
Miami: 21.5%
Minn: 18.1%
Oakland: 17.3%
Seattle 16%
http://www.governing.com/gov-data/ca...-city-map.html

Though not listed on the Carless list, 25.2% of Pittsburgh residents do not own a car. Same with Detroit. And 30.6% of Baltimore residents.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 8:25 PM

In more transit-friendly US cities like New York or Boston or Chicago, do people live car-free/car-lite even outside the dense, urban areas? Like is there a sizable group in Garden City or Walham or Schaumburg living without a car (excluding kids/seniors)? That's one area where I perceive a difference between Canadian and American cities. The transit-friendliness doesn't seem to extent as much into the suburbs like it does here, but I'm curious if this is also true in the traditionally robust transit cities mentioned in the article.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 8:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
In more transit-friendly US cities like New York or Boston or Chicago, do people live car-free/car-lite even outside the dense, urban areas? Like is there a sizable group in Garden City or Walham or Schaumburg living without a car (excluding kids/seniors)? That's one area where I perceive a difference between Canadian and American cities. The transit-friendliness doesn't seem to extent as much into the suburbs like it does here, but I'm curious if this is also true in the traditionally robust transit cities mentioned in the article.
my hunch is that pretty much the only people who live carless in the vast majority of suburban chicago are those who are too poor to own a car.

chicago has a pretty good commuter rail system (metra) to get the folks out in the suburban bedroom communities to their downtown jobs in a fairly efficient manner, but outside of that, the only other transit out in the burbs (other of a handful of older inner ring burbs like oak park, evanston, & cicero with CTA rail service) is provided by the PACE suburban bus system, and it leaves A LOT to be desired.

in a nutshell, if you live in suburban chicago and you can afford to own a car, chances are pretty damn likely that you probably do.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 16, 2017 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
There are NYC-area suburbs that are as car-free as anywhere in the U.S. outside NYC, but they're almost all urban suburbs, of course. Places like Paterson, NJ, Bridgeport, CT, Yonkers, NY, and really all of North Jersey close to Manhattan, have low car ownership. Newer, sprawly suburbs in the U.S. will never be particularly transit-dependent.

Railroad suburbs, and suburbs on major express bus and ferry routes, will often have very high transit ridership, even if car ownership is high. Wealthy suburbs like Greenwich, Scarsdale or Rye will have high transit ridership.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 8:38 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
29% of Miami Beach residents do not own a car, I assume the % is much higher just in South Beach, people claim "more than half" do not own a car. City of Miami is at 21.5% not owning cars.

Seattle 16%

Though not listed on the Carless list, 25.2% of Pittsburgh residents do not own a car. Same with Detroit. And 30.6% of Baltimore residents.
That is good evidence. However I bet it's very different if you control for income. Census commute stats are unsurprising with that in mind.

The Census 2015 ACS shows Seattle with double Miami's walking commute and transit commute percentage based on city-of. This is remarkable given Miami's tighter city limits and higher density. Walking was 9.6 to 4.5%. Transit was 20.1 to 11.4%. Drive alone was 50.1 to 69.4%. Miami Beach was 10.6% walking, 11.6% transit, and 52.9% drive alone.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
That is good evidence. However I bet it's very different if you control for income. Census commute stats are unsurprising with that in mind.
This is the other nuance. Detroit has basically the same % of car-free households as Chicago or SF, but Detroit has a fairly awful transit system. Obviously Detroit has a significant proportion of non-choice car-free households.

Middle class or wealthy areas with modest vehicle ownership and/or high transit ridership are probably a better proxy for transit quality.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
my hunch is that pretty much the only people who live carless in the vast majority of suburban chicago are those who are too poor to own a car.

chicago has a pretty good commuter rail system (metra) to get the folks out in the suburban bedroom communities to their downtown jobs in a fairly efficient manner, but outside of that, the only other transit out in the burbs (other of a handful of older inner ring burbs like oak park, evanston, & cicero with CTA rail service) is provided by the PACE suburban bus system, and it leaves A LOT to be desired.

in a nutshell, if you live in suburban chicago and you can afford to own a car, chances are pretty damn likely that you probably do.
Yeah, I know the Metra goes pretty far out, but unless you're going into the city, it's not useful. I was thinking more along the lines of the everyday, local stuff... visiting a friend, going to the mall, going to the arena, etc.

The 905 in Toronto and suburban Vancouver both have pretty decent transit ridership. Even Edmonton, which is an archetypal automobility metro, has very usable transit service in the suburbs. It's currently mandated that ETS (which provides for the City of Edmonton and some commuter services, and includes the majority of Edmonton's sprawl) have a bus stop within 400m of every house, even on the edges of suburbia, with few exceptions. This may be changing as we move to a more high frequency, efficient bus system, but it will still make suburban transit fairly usable.

That being said, outside of the very central areas (Downtown, Oliver, Strathcona, Garneau), if you can afford a car, you will, in most cases. The only exceptions I find are younger people (18-25), usually still living at home while going to school, or immigrant families. But based on my experiences, I'd rather be stuck without a car in Clareview than Beaverton OR or Chandler AZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
There are NYC-area suburbs that are as car-free as anywhere in the U.S. outside NYC, but they're almost all urban suburbs, of course. Places like Paterson, NJ, Bridgeport, CT, Yonkers, NY, and really all of North Jersey close to Manhattan, have low car ownership. Newer, sprawly suburbs in the U.S. will never be particularly transit-dependent.

Railroad suburbs, and suburbs on major express bus and ferry routes, will often have very high transit ridership, even if car ownership is high. Wealthy suburbs like Greenwich, Scarsdale or Rye will have high transit ridership.
This makes sense. I remember Stamford CT having a very walkable core with rail access into the city, making it an option to live car-free, even if most won't. You see this in a lot of Canadian suburbs.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 9:48 PM

I have a real problem with weighting these equally.

With all due respect to Steely, the bike score doesn't matter. Transit matters most and walk score is a close second. A very, very small minority of people uses or even considers bicycling as a form of transportation (rather than recreation).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
New York's bus system is NOT as good as San Francisco's and it matters going crosstown.
You are out of your mind lol. New York's bus system is so large it doesn't even have a unified map. The map for NYC buses is split by boroughs, and then there are zoom-in sections. There is no bus map that covers the whole city limits like there is for the subway.

Here is just the bus map for Brooklyn:

http://fr.nycmap360.com/carte/image/...s-brooklyn.jpg

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 10:35 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post

Seattle 16%

This goes back to what Steely said: Chicago is huge (city limits), diluting its numbers. Boston, SF, and D.C. pack a lot of urban punch into a tight space, but if you only looked at a 2 mile or so radius from downtown Chicago and it's north lakefront, you would likely see a a huge drop in car ownership.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 10:38 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Mackinac Island

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 10:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ that's a quality answer.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

With all due respect to Steely, the bike score doesn't matter. Transit matters most and walk score is a close second. A very, very small minority of people uses or even considers bicycling as a form of transportation (rather than recreation).
That really depends on the city and its culture. It's definitely a considered transportation alternative in Portland, Montreal, Amsterdam, and Copenhagen.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 11:08 PM

I'm not going to descend into city vs city, but that list is plenty messed up, and I've spent time in all of those places

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 12:06 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The city of Rikers Island. No... not the city that Rikers Island is in, but Rikers Island itself!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 12:58 AM

The point about Boston being physically small is valid, but the flip side is that Cambridge, Newton, Somerville, Brookline, etc. all have MBTA transit coverage (including subway / light rail / frequent Commuter Line services) that rivals most central cities.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 1:19 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Miami. is. A. Death. trap. For. Pedestrians.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 1:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:
That really depends on the city and its culture. It's definitely a considered transportation alternative in Portland, Montreal, Amsterdam, and Copenhagen.
I mean, plenty of people in Philadelphia use / consider cycling an alternate mode of transportation.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Miami. is. A. Death. trap. For. Pedestrians.
Miami is a death trap for drivers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I mean, plenty of people in Philadelphia use / consider cycling an alternate mode of transportation.
A certain type of person with a certain type of job. It's not an option for everyone. And the numbers in all of the top cities pale in comparison to the number that use transit or walk or drive.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
A certain type of person with a certain type of job. It's not an option for everyone. And the numbers in all of the top cities pale in comparison to the number that use transit or walk or drive.
I'm a teacher in Philadelphia. A full quarter of my colleagues use a bike to get to work everyday and on some days that can go as high as a third. It's a widely used option, particularly in and around Center City.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions