Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 8:58 PM

And craft weed could help too.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
And craft weed could help too.
I'm for it! Great revenue source for revenue starved governments.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 11:32 PM
Ex Houstonian

Those maps show surprisingly few craft breweries in NYC and San Francisco. Hell, I bet Pittsburgh has both beat by a long shot.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 11:34 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

^ wouldn't be surprised. NYC is pathetic for craft beer

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Those maps show surprisingly few craft breweries in NYC and San Francisco. Hell, I bet Pittsburgh has both beat by a long shot.
There are very few places in the city of San Francisco to put a brewery and even fewer where it would make economic sense. In the article I posted right after the lead article in this thread it talks about plans form the local brad Anchor Steam to build a new brewery on a derelict pier because there's really nowhere on land for such an operation but even that has now fallen through due to a combination of finding that the cost to rehabilitate the pier is too high and especially too high for the new cost-conscious foreign buyer of Anchor Steam, Sapporo. Generally, if there aren't neighbors who would object to such a semi-industrial use, the cost of the land or space would be uneconomic.

I'd like to see a map showing the surrounding counties, though. I believe there are a number of craft breweries in Alameda, Sonoma, Napa and other counties just as there are all sorts of artisanal food (and wine) operations in these counties.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
How does Germany protect its jobs more than France, Italy or Belgium?
It's a matter of degrees compared to us. My last product built for Europe required us to build in Hungary to have the legal minimum EU content.
If the US does that, it's protectionism. When the EU does it, its providing jobs to citizens.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
It's a matter of degrees compared to us. My last product built for Europe required us to build in Hungary to have the legal minimum EU content.
If the US does that, it's protectionism. When the EU does it, its providing jobs to citizens.
To the degree Europe does it, I'd like to see the US retaliate and they can start with beer and wine. We produce plenty of both that equals the European products in quality and if the highest end European brands were jacked up in price even more, it might stimulate more of the highest quality production here.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The Walmart economy is driven by american consumers. Trump lovers likely. I never shop at walmart. As I said, I buy almost anything I can that is locally made or grown.

How does Germany protect its jobs more than France, Italy or Belgium?
Since you are making this thread political....

Youre post screams " I am a rich liberal."

Most Americans don't have the option to buy locally made or grown things. They buy what is cheapest. Yes a lot of poor Obama and Trump voters shop at Walmart, if you have never been here, good for you. We don't all have the option to buy more expensive groceries or spend more for the same shit that is at walmart(pharmacy, bathroom stuff etc etc).

You hate Trump voters. Which is sad. I never hated Obama voters. BLM had a protest where 5 cops were shot. I still don't hate BLM. Liberals have so much hate I can only think that skinheads can match them.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post

Most Americans don't have the option to buy locally made or grown things. They buy what is cheapest. Yes a lot of poor Obama and Trump voters shop at Walmart, if you have never been here, good for you. We don't all have the option to buy more expensive groceries or spend more for the same shit that is at walmart(pharmacy, bathroom stuff etc etc).

You hate Trump voters. Which is sad. I never hated Obama voters. BLM had a protest where 5 cops were shot. I still don't hate BLM. Liberals have so much hate I can only think that skinheads can match them.
I despise racist trash. BLM included. I despise Trump because he's a liar, a fraud and con artist that duped a bunch of desperate people.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 12:42 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
you must not get it - see, according to the conventional wisdom on in the left upper class in the USA, America has a fundamental moral obligation, co-eval with our principles enshrined in the bill of rights or the declaration of independence, to support globalization and outsourcing of US jobs whenever and wherever possible, including (and especially) at the cost to our own social welfare, and industries. Even if the outsourcing comes at the benefit of highly developed economies that compete in the same product lines, like east Asia and Europe.

In fact, it's horrible that all these new craft brewers have come up. we should all be drinking Sol and Stella and Heineken, to spread our wealth around to poor countries like the Netherlands. Throw out your IPAs, get with the program you evil Yankees!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 12:45 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Birmingham's downtown and surrounding urban neighborhoods have been completely transformed due to the presence of craft breweries.

Initially, Birmingham's Southside neighborhood was bringing in beer business, then came Lakeview, then cam Avondale. Now, it's all filling in. It's all encouraging some great redevelopment and residential activity.

So, yes, craft breweries can transform post-industrial neighborhoods.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post

Most Americans don't have the option to buy locally made or grown things. They buy what is cheapest.
I'm a comfortable moderate who shops at Walmart all the time as well as at Amazon and CostCo along with my rich liberal neighbors:

Quote:
(A) Morgan Stanley survey shows demographics of Costco and Amazon members are relatively similar . . . . 57 percent of Costco members were also enrolled in (Amazon) Prime, according to its survey.

Costco members are slightly wealthier — about $93,000 average annual income vs. $87,000 for Prime members.

At 49, they’re also about four years older than Amazon Prime members. Yet that gap is not significant enough to “proclaim Amazon serves a younger customer,” the report says.

Costco members purchase groceries and large appliances there; Amazon has an edge in clothing, pet items and consumer electronics . . . .
http://www.seattletimes.com/business...e-survey-says/

Rich and not-so-rich alike, we all want bargains though maybe for different reasons. The no-so-rich may need them to survive whereas the rich just don't want to feel like chumps for paying more than they have to and like being able to brag to friends about the great bargains they got.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
we should all be drinking Sol and Stella and Heineken, to spread our wealth around to poor countries like the Netherlands. Throw out your IPAs, get with the program you evil Yankees!
Drink Anchor Steam now and support poor old Japan.

I used to express my politics in the bad old days before the iron curtain was lifted by drinking Pilsner Urquell (Czechoslovakia) but now it too belongs to a mega-conglomerate (SAB Miller).

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 5:48 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
you must not get it - see, according to the conventional wisdom on in the left upper class in the USA, America has a fundamental moral obligation, co-eval with our principles enshrined in the bill of rights or the declaration of independence, to support globalization and outsourcing of US jobs whenever and wherever possible, including (and especially) at the cost to our own social welfare, and industries. Even if the outsourcing comes at the benefit of highly developed economies that compete in the same product lines, like east Asia and Europe.

In fact, it's horrible that all these new craft brewers have come up. we should all be drinking Sol and Stella and Heineken, to spread our wealth around to poor countries like the Netherlands. Throw out your IPAs, get with the program you evil Yankees!
Do you think a single person in the US actually thinks this? Or that we're all stupid?

Trade proponents are trying to protect our exports, and some are trying to protect our access to cheap stuff. None of it (minus the sellouts) is about helping other countries at our expense.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 7:38 AM

Quote:
We have plenty of craft beer. What about craft power tools? Craft electric motors? Craft shipbuilding? Craft tires? Craft nuclear steam turbines?
The answer to all of this, really, is probably no.

"Craft" or "artisan" production really works only for consumer items and by definition at a relatively small scale. There are many well-known examples which have been around for hundreds of years - everything from Lodge cookware to Horwich leather. I buy almost everything in my home from them (even before moving abroad; I've still yet to set foot in a Wal-Mart in my life). These sorts of businesses are never going to create the abundance of semi-skilled labor jobs that mass production does.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Drink Anchor Steam now and support poor old Japan.

I used to express my politics in the bad old days before the iron curtain was lifted by drinking Pilsner Urquell (Czechoslovakia) but now it too belongs to a mega-conglomerate (SAB Miller).
Actually they've now sold it to Asahi. It was one of the divestitures required to have their merger with InBev approved by competition authorities.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
To the degree Europe does it, I'd like to see the US retaliate and they can start with beer and wine. We produce plenty of both that equals the European products in quality and if the highest end European brands were jacked up in price even more, it might stimulate more of the highest quality production here.
The US is already producing the best beer outside of Belgium. Wine, not so much. I've tried some good Oregon pinots but I'm not a big fan of archetypal California styles - the reds are way too tannic and too alcoholic, and the whites are over-oaked.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Actually they've now sold it to Asahi. It was one of the divestitures required to have their merger with InBev approved by competition authorities.
So you can support the Japanese many ways with beer.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Aug 17, 2017 at 8:13 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
The US is already producing the best beer outside of Belgium. Wine, not so much. I've tried some good Oregon pinots but I'm not a big fan of archetypal California styles - the reds are way too tannic and too alcoholic, and the whites are over-oaked.
Uh huh. OK. Takes all tastes.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Aug 17, 2017 at 8:13 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 1:06 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
^ wouldn't be surprised. NYC is pathetic for craft beer

I wouldn't say pathetic, more just relatively sparse and late to the game. Other Half and Evil Twin in particular are doing some extremely innovative and well done stuff. Torst is one of the better beer bars in the country.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions