HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Whether or not its worth it in the end is besides the point, a $60 billion project is far more likely to be killed than a $30 billion one. By not caring about high unit costs you're actually HURTING the cause of quality rail transit.
I think it IS the point and who doesn't care about "high unit cost" whatever that means (I assume you mean cost per mile)? You got a cheaper way to connect the principle cities of CA with HSR than what they are doing?

I glanced for the first time in a long time at the LA thread and now I'm guessing your negativity has to do with the issues involving HSR in the LA metro (with which I'm not very familiar and about which I don't much care--it's your fight). I also suspect that all has to do with politics and local NIMBYism. I wish none of those things were factors but unfortunately, to get something important done in a place like California, compromises have to be made. The overall goal of having HSR from the downtowns of Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose and LA (and, one hopes, irrespective of the LA wars) San Diego is the overarching goal.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I think it IS the point and who doesn't care about "high unit cost" whatever that means (I assume you mean cost per mile)? You got a cheaper way to connect the principle cities of CA with HSR than what they are doing?

I glanced for the first time in a long time at the LA thread and now I'm guessing your negativity has to do with the issues involving HSR in the LA metro (with which I'm not very familiar and about which I don't much care--it's your fight). I also suspect that all has to do with politics and local NIMBYism. I wish none of those things were factors but unfortunately, to get something important done in a place like California, compromises have to be made. The overall goal of having HSR from the downtowns of Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose and LA (and, one hopes, irrespective of the LA wars) San Diego is the overarching goal.
It's not NIMBYism in the case of LA some of us lived through our own high cost project 20 years ago that went through the ringer in the court of public opinion when there were both financial and literal sinkholes and how that can effect the ability and public trust in financing infrastructure projects because taxpayers are naturally more conservative in how they spend money because they see it as THEIR money.

With HSR as I've followed this for a long time, the key piece is that the environmental reports and the process has driven up the cost more than anything but it is also a necessary evil needed to build the consensus as over the years the actual needed planning has been starved of the needed funds to do proper work.

Democracy is messy, Dictatorships are lazy.

The Opposite of PRO is CON, that fact is clearly seen.
If Progress means moves forward, then what does Congress mean?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 5:24 AM

Maybe California Democrats in the state legislature need to strip transportation funding for any projects in McCarthy's district. Make sure his supporters lose out for supporting this dick.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 5:38 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Maybe California Democrats in the state legislature need to strip transportation funding for any projects in McCarthy's district. Make sure his supporters lose out for supporting this dick.
Now that is being petty. Do that in the California Legislature and then watch the US Congress eliminate all transportation funding for the entire State of California. A game of one-upmanship usually means everyone loses in the end.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Now that is being petty. Do that in the California Legislature and then watch the US Congress eliminate all transportation funding for the entire State of California. A game of one-upmanship usually means everyone loses in the end.
If he's gonna f&ck over the Bay Area, then f&ck over his district.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't think the Bay Area carries enough sympathy in other parts of the state, even the Democratic parts, to pull anything like that off. But I don't put it past one of the Bay Area reps or state senators to try something similar. CA is a huge state and its regions are awfully parochial.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:06 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Maybe all California DOT projects should receive an audit, then every project gets delayed. Fair for everyone?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:31 AM
Sonoma Strong

Anyway...

Anyone interested can sign the petition for the FTA to approve Caltrain electrification here: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...lectrification

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 7:12 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay View Post
Anyway...

Anyone interested can sign the petition for the FTA to approve Caltrain electrification here: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...lectrification
Caltrain needs to hang those 25k VAC catenaries to run those new 16 6 car Stadler built in America double level EMU trains which should start arriving in San Jose around 2020. The trains have already been ordered, although not entirely paid for yet.

It'll be interesting to see what projects remains in Trump's budget, but we all know that the POUS budget always arrives at Congress DOA.
Let's hope some budget compromises are made this year.

Yet, whether it is in his budget or not, somebody will cry about it here long before the budget and appropriations bills are passed and signed into law.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 7:46 AM

^^I believe there's a time limit to pick the electrification contractor which is coming very soon so they need the money they were due to get NOW (from the 2017 budget), not when the 2018 budget is eventually approved.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 5:07 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
^^I believe there's a time limit to pick the electrification contractor which is coming very soon so they need the money they were due to get NOW (from the 2017 budget), not when the 2018 budget is eventually approved.
Has the USDOT 2017 appropriations bill been finalized?
The Transportation Department along with others have been funded by Continuing Resolutions, two so far that are in effect only until April 27, 2017.
http://www.crfb.org/blogs/appropriations-watch-fy-2017

Apparently not yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Federal government final appropriations bills to pass since President, Senate, and House are now in the hands of the GOP. And I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes (cuts) amongst those appropriations. Will Caltrain electrification be amongst those cuts? Only time will tell.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Virgin America’s new owner plans big route expansion from the Bay Area
Mar 9, 2017, 5:00am PST
Mark Calvey
Senior Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
RELATED CONTENT

Alaska Airlines, which acquired Virgin America late last year, said Thursday that it’s adding more than a dozen new routes from the Bay Area later this year. . . . after the route expansion the company will fly to 13 of the 15 largest markets from the Bay Area.

Alaska (NYSE: ALK) is adding 10 routes from San Francisco and three from San Jose later this year. Bay Area residents soon will be able to fly Virgin America planes on daily nonstops from San Francisco to southern boomtowns such as Nashville and Raleigh-Durham, along with popular destinations such as New Orleans and Kona, Hawaii. Other daily nonstop destinations being added include Baltimore, Philadelphia and Indianapolis. Those flights also will be on Virgin America planes . . . .

Alaska is also debuting daily nonstop flights from San Fransisco to Albuquerque and San Francisco to Kansas City, which will be flown by Alaska and operated by subsidiary Horizon Air.

Alaska . . . is also introducing service from San Francisco to Mexico City later this year, pending government approval . . . .
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...256&j=77622251

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
March 13, 2017, 8:38 pm Updated: March 13, 2017, 8:38 pm
SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) — Demolition work along the old eastern span of the Bay Bridge has reached another milestone.

A massive section of the old roadway was removed on Monday and the remaining sections could be gone in just a matter of weeks.
http://kron4.com/2017/03/13/video-ol...h-on-new-span/

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
I-580 pay-to-use lanes are a success, report says
By Michael Cabanatuan
Updated 4:38 pm, Thursday, March 16, 2017

The Bay Area’s newest express lanes — on Interstate 580 through the Tri-Valley region of Alameda County — are just a year old, but drivers are already pouring into them, eager to pay for a quicker commute.

More drivers will get that option in the next few years as the lanes spread across the Bay Area at an accelerated pace.

Since the combination express and carpool lanes opened in February 2015 on I-580, along the main route between the Bay Area and the Central Valley, more than 7.6 million drivers have taken advantage of them, according to a report released Thursday by the Alameda County Transportation Commission, which operates the lanes.

By paying an average toll of $1.62 westbound and $2.13 eastbound, drivers get to drive about 10 mph faster than those in the other lanes. On an average day, about 11 percent of the vehicles traveling on I-580 through the area use the express lanes. That’s about 30,000 cars and trucks a day.

Express lanes are carpool lanes equipped with signs and technology that allow solo drivers to buy access using a FasTrak toll tag. They’re charged a continually adjusted toll that rises and falls with the level of congestion. Critics deride them as “Lexus lanes,” saying they allow the wealthy to buy their way past the backup . . . .

So far, the region has just 50 miles of express lanes along three stretches of slow-moving freeway, mostly on the outskirts of the urban core. But plans call for a regional network that includes 550 miles of them around the Bay Area by 2035. By then, every carpool lane will be converted to an express lane and gaps between the lanes will be filled in . . . .
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...a-11007105.php

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 12:09 PM

SMART trains set to roll into North Bay
(includes video news story)

Quote:
APR 04 2017
SAN RAFAEL (KTVU) -- The long-delayed SMART train service to the North Bay counties of Sonoma and Marin is expected to start rolling this summer despite a significant landslide that is still under repair.

Once the transit agency launches its service, it will be the first rail alternative for Marin and Sonoma counties in generations.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 12:54 PM

Milpitas BART Station to open in December, VTA says

Quote:
The 10-mile, $2.3 billion Bay Area Rapid Transit Silicon Valley Berryessa Extension project is on track to be completed by December, according to Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority. Test trains are expected to start running through the Milpitas BART Station this summer.

The station, the newest gateway into the city near the corner of Montague Expressway and East Capitol Avenue adjacent to the Great Mall, is 96.5 percent complete, according to VTA spokeswoman Stacey Ross.

She added the station is expected to be open and running by late December, six months ahead of the original schedule.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 1:01 PM

It would be cool if they could stick to the December 2017 opening. I'll be in the Bay Area the first week of January and plan on staying with friends in San Leandro but heading down to the SAP Center in San Jose most days. I could simply hop on BART at the San Leandro station and take it to San Jose. Granted I'll have to transfer to get downtown or use Amtrak's Capitol Corridor train (which I did while there this past February), though it's not as frequent and doesn't run as late as BART.

On top of that, VTA is about to implement an overhaul of its bus network after years of planning, including consultation with Jarrett Walker.

San Jose / Silicon Valley: A New Bus Network

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 4:17 AM
life is good

Yikes, bus ridership went down in Houston after Walker's revamp. Be careful what you wish for

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 12:02 AM

^ Odd, I found an article dated December 8, 2016 from the Texas Tribune and a different article from the Houston Chronicle dated December 16, 2016. Despite being published only about a week apart, they report completely different stories.

From the Texas Tribune: As Houston's overhaul draws new riders, other cities mulling bus changes

From the Houston Chronicle: Metro ridership in reverse after transit officials boasted bus system revamp would add many riders

And from Streetsblog: Transit Ridership Falling Everywhere — But Not in Cities With Redesigned Bus Networks

Last edited by OhioGuy; May 5, 2017 at 10:56 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 12:42 AM

New SF Central Subway construction photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/municentralsubway/page1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation