HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 5:23 AM

walking in ROME

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 6:14 AM
Never Dell

Fantastic. I got a taste recently but not enough!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 5:22 PM

Loved It! It's all full of life.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 6:59 PM

Great pictures of The Eternal City!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:32 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Lovely

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:17 AM

This is not the Rome I was expecting. But I like it. I like it a lot.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 12:18 PM
Red brick mama.

Love your pics. Rome was the first city in Europe I visited, and stepping into the airport was a thrill I'll never forget. Thanks for the memories.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:46 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

a much greener city than i imagined.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
a much greener city than i imagined.
It is in fact very green. There are wooded areas and "wild forests" circling the city. The area around the Colosseum is a real forest, there's also a huge park in the North where it's easy to get lost.

One other thing that surprised me: bad food, no better than in the US, even the pizza and pasta. But maybe I was in the tourist traps.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukw View Post
One other thing that surprised me: bad food, no better than in the US, even the pizza and pasta. But maybe I was in the tourist traps.
That's usually the case with people claiming the cities they visited have bad food.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 9:12 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

That's true, visitors want to eat near famous monuments but it is often the worst places to eat.
Locals don't go in restaurants in those places.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku View Post
That's true, visitors want to eat near famous monuments but it is often the worst places to eat.
Locals don't go in restaurants in those places.
I would stress your word often, that is not always. Pizza on Piazza del Campo in Siena (which is highly touristy) is up to Italy's reputation. But it's unfortunately true that tourists are often taken for fools.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:59 PM

so beautiful! thank you.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 9:25 PM

Molto bello! I can add nothing. The photo's speak.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 10:13 PM
Houston:Considered Good

ROME is for ROMANTIC.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 11:32 PM

Absolutely wonderful pictures! You really got around! I studied in Rome last summer and it is an AMAZING city. I have a couple hundred pictures of my own I may have to post on here eventually. It is such a difficult city to encapsulate with a single description. So many layers of history; so may seemingly contradictory personality traits. One must spend some time and experience it to truly understand this city.

The yellow building with the grey arched door just behind "Baccina 66" in this photo was the girls' apartment while we were there, and us guys were just a few blocks up the street. It was so amazing and inspiring to see the 2,000 year old columns of the Forum of Augustus framed at the end of the street every morning as we walked to class! This neighborhood, Monti, is perhaps the most authentic gem in the entire city. The Piazza Della Madonna di Monti (about a block from this photo) is one of my favorite public spaces in the entire world. So many great memories there.

Also, it is sadly true that eating in Rome requires a bit of trial and error. There are literally hundreds of places that make their profit serving crap food to Americans, and it can take some time to learn how to identify a good spot to eat. Fortunately, the food here is INCREDIBLE once you figure out how to play the Roman restaurant game.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 12:45 AM

..Fantastic.........bad food??? how can you generalize an entire city based on your misfortune??

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:47 AM

Rome is green. neighborhoods are densely built, sometimes with no green at all, especially in the historic core. but through and between these super compact built areas, there are many hills and ravines covered with woods, former «villas» nicely landscaped (now public parks), and all these ancient sites where vegetation grows abundantly. There's always a bench and a fountain waiting for you under an unbrella pine.

About the food, I had the chance to live in a non-touristy area (south of the Trastevere - Via Portuense) filled with cafés, trattorias, snack counters, pretty much everything was good and cheap. Local stuff. Even in the touristy areas, if you see a place wich it's not too flashy/fancy and pricey, no costumes, no musicians, no folk/romantic decor, it's usually good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138
Monti is perhaps the most authentic gem in the entire city.
I agree, Monti is an architectural orgy of different eras, styles and colors, plenty of vistas. Surprisingly quiet, considering it's close to the Forum and the Colosseum. Other cool areas : Coppedè, San Lorenzo (at night) and around Piramide.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsonic View Post
I agree, Monti is an architectural orgy of different eras, styles and colors, plenty of vistas. Surprisingly quiet, considering it's close to the Forum and the Colosseum.
I second your entire post, but wanted to comment on this quote specifically. Back in the time of Caesar, Monti was known as "suburra" and was a notorious slum and red-light district. Augustus built an enormous fire wall (also seen in the picture I re-posted) between the slum and the Roman Forum to prevent fires and "riff-raff" from entering the forum. The professor who informed us of this history pointed out that this very same fire wall now does an amazingly good job of keeping tourists out of Monti despite its close proximity to the forum! It's an easy neighborhood to miss if you aren't looking for it, but it is absolutely priceless and, in my opinion, a must see area when in Rome.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
Back in the time of Caesar, Monti was known as "suburra" and was a notorious slum and red-light district. Augustus built an enormous fire wall (also seen in the picture I re-posted) between the slum and the Roman Forum to prevent fires and "riff-raff" from entering the forum. The professor who informed us of this history pointed out that this very same fire wall now does an amazingly good job of keeping tourists out of Monti despite its close proximity to the forum! It's an easy neighborhood to miss if you aren't looking for it, but it is absolutely priceless and, in my opinion, a must see area when in Rome.
seems like decisions taken 2000 years ago still influence today's urban fabric and human behavior. very interesting, thanks! funny how a small hill and and separate parts of an ancient wall scare lazy tourists.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos