HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 2:55 PM

location, location,location & aesthetics

of course this is the perfect location for Comcast for all the reasons stated above. As for the design, a number of people used the word At Deco, even Inga but I think it owes more to Walter Gropius . http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildi...gus_Works.html

i.e.,the severe rectilinear massing and the machine/industrial aesthetic. Its true significance is that it is unique as Inga mentioned, in taking the model of expansive suburban space designed for research and inserting it into a vertical dense skyscraper in the urban core. Also all the amenities like the hotel, restaurants and ability to visit the top floor lobby contribute to make this a very important building. maybe as important for architecture as the PSFS building. I really love it.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Functionality is most important than "balancing" a skyline. Hopefully in 30 years new buildings come along and put CITC in the rear view like it is doing to some others, in regards to different view points.
I think the same with the W. They might not give the best possible impact on the skyline but the area they are going in will greatly improve because of them. From the sounds of it logan square is already lined up to be completely transformed.

For philly I think the experience on the street is more important than the experience driving in. For cities like atlanta though maybe not.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
of course this is the perfect location for Comcast for all the reasons stated above. As for the design, a number of people used the word At Deco, even Inga but I think it owes more to Walter Gropius . http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildi...gus_Works.html

i.e.,the severe rectilinear massing and the machine/industrial aesthetic. Its true significance is that it is unique as Inga mentioned, in taking the model of expansive suburban space designed for research and inserting it into a vertical dense skyscraper in the urban core. Also all the amenities like the hotel, restaurants and ability to visit the top floor lobby contribute to make this a very important building. maybe as important for architecture as the PSFS building. I really love it.
Agree this design is really growing on me, cant wait fr this puppy to start going up and wacthing it grow (though dont think will see it from my roof deck in Bella Vista, well maybe eventually the spire and beacon)

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwill View Post
I am shocked and in awe at the overwhelming delight toward this new Comcast Tower with not even one expressed concern about the proposed placement of this building. I have scoured the internet for postings, comments, etc over the horrific location of the proposed tower, and yet have only come across people ecstatic about the addition of this building.

Don't get me wrong, I am overjoyed at the addition of what would be the cities new tallest structure, and bear in mind; my issue with the proposed site presumes no knowledge of location of this tower do to technical necessity and the such; however, in terms of aesthetic considerations, not only does this tower add nothing to our cities skyline, it actually subtracts from it covering at least two beautiful skyscrapers directly behind it. again, barring any knowledge of zoning issues etc. "bunching" seems to be this cities new trend when it comes to developing towers in this city.

Philly's last edition, the Comcast Tower also seemed to detract from the breadth of our skyline by in my opinion being built to close to other buildings; at least I believed its positioning could have also worked to expand our skyline; my major concern is that this type of planning ultimately has the effect of creating a great big pyramid of rectangular masses further minimizing the impact of our skyline.

What is most disturbing to me about this project more than any other in my lifetime is that this tower single handedly has the ability to transform not only our skyline as second to none except NYC and Chicago, but also signaling to the world that Philadelphia has finally embraced the necessary image of a city seriously intent on becoming a world class city.

This new tower for me is not so much about its architecture than it is about its location. This building would nearly double our skyline placed anywhere east of city hall, and in the process assuredly creating future development as an expanded midtown corridor. This along with the ongoing development of the towers being built at the Cira Centres would reshape the image of this city throughout the world.
Two things, one as many have said East of Broad would be functionally wrong for this particular Comcast project and their deliberate intention of a vertical campus.

Also the momentum today is heading west from CC and east from U City - they will one day soon really will connect even more, especially if the Drexel development plans come together on Market and JFK around 30th street; and if ever the railyard gets developed.

On Market East, I believe this will be the new frontier, maybe in the 2020s with Jeff expanding and significant rail infrastructure already in place.

Like you I would love to see more development there and height, maybe and hopefully just a matter of time and demand.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 5:22 PM

We need folks to start doing renderings of how CITC and/or FMC and/or SLS and/or all three will look in the skyline from every possible angle.

In the past we had a seperate thread just for renders of the original Comcast. Always fun to see the differant renderings and angles. I know many folks on this site are ridiculously good with Photoshop etc.

I'll also chime in on my thoughts of CITC:

I like the interior and exterior design, I like it very much.
I love the blade design, it is really the only justified blade pinnicle design in the city. It mixes well with the plethora of other tower pinnicle designs. The lighting also looks badass.
Not sure why people care about the 3 level sections or outline from the facade giving the impression that it is much shorter than it is - it is still 1,121 ft tall!
It sucks that it blocks One Liberty Place with some angles...but 1,500 new jobs is worth it. ACC would have done the same thing.
I wish dearly CITC was 17ft taller!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 5:25 PM

^ I may try and photo shop this building, but its going to be tough. Hopefully someone makes one for the diagrams.

My terrible attempt.

Last edited by Plokoon11; Jan 19, 2014 at 6:26 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPhillyBoy View Post
Seems to combine sleek contemporary materials with a vaguely industrial design. Great addition to one of America's greatest skylines.

My prediction: This won't be Philly's last supertall.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 8:24 PM

I would LOVE to see the designs of the losing firms in this competition. They were 1. Renzo Piano
2. Bjarke Ingels
3. Jean Nouvel
4. Stern

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 9:10 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The way the tower is designed makes it look very short in the renderings even though it is very tall. It plays tricks on the mind. It looks like 600 ft or so. Its probably the outside, and how it looks like one giant floor (which contains numerous floors in one).

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 10:04 PM
Ex Houstonian

This building is kinda bulky and ugly, just my opinion or maybe I'm just jealous that it's not in pittsburgh.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 10:57 PM

The 'tower' portion of it reminds me of a smokestack.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 10:59 PM

diagram please...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
The 'tower' portion of it reminds me of a smokestack.
It's supposed to. Both architect Foster and Comcast CEO Roberts have said, in effect, that the design is both an homage to Philly's industrial manufacturing past, and the embodiment of Philly's--and Comcast's--high tech future. The new tower will be, in essence, an urban "factory" for the production of technology and software.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I wasn't really impressed when I first saw the design, but every time I look at it I like it more and more! It will be exciting to watch this go up.

As for adding another setback to the tower, that would make the top floors very narrow. Would they even be able to use floors that small?
I was thinking....If they added a third setback....
The re-design (if any), with the extra setback, the last remaining top floors could all be one story condos, each floor having individual condo. Let's see about 9 or 10 condos X 30 million each (and then I woke up!) Heck, there's a Four Seasons Hotel above office & retail space, why not?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 1:54 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
Seems to combine sleek contemporary materials with a vaguely industrial design. Great addition to one of America's greatest skylines.

My prediction: This won't be Philly's last supertall.
Um... looking at that image, reeeeeaally closely at the one dark grey area...

Are those two elevators? Glass, scenic elevators likely serving as the primary access to the high-end restaurant at the top?

Will there be a contest for a name for this restaurant? I'm thinking the name should be something that speaks of/for Philly, PA, or both in some way, or the company itself.

Dish? (although I doubt Comcast is involved with that type of communication)
Windows-Sky
Windows-2020
The Cloud

Will this place be similar to that of Top of the Tower? I understand it's also a banquet facility.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
It's supposed to. Both architect Foster and Comcast CEO Roberts have said, in effect, that the design is both an homage to Philly's industrial manufacturing past, and the embodiment of Philly's--and Comcast's--high tech future. The new tower will be, in essence, an urban "factory" for the production of technology and software.
Good! I don't have to feel like I'm misreading the artists intent for once.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
I was thinking....If they added a third setback....
The re-design (if any), with the extra setback, the last remaining top floors could all be one story condos, each floor having individual condo. Let's see about 9 or 10 condos X 30 million each (and then I woke up!) Heck, there's a Four Seasons Hotel above office & retail space, why not?
It would be great if they did that, or simply increase the height of the second setback to reach 1000'. But I doubt that will happen at this stage.

Overall, the building will be a great for the city economically and will still be considered the tallest in the country outside Chi/NYC...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 3:36 PM

I think it looks a little like the old center city tower. I like it but I am not in love with it. The best part is that the city will finnally be over the 1000' hump.. They need to add 20 more feet so it could be the 6th tallest in the country!!

Last edited by slow-v6; Jan 20, 2014 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 4:33 PM

This is growing on me... I was looking at the renders and thinking that it seems to interact well with 3 Logan Square (one of my favorites) - the setbacks on each building seem to compliment each other.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 4:45 PM

I have always loved this city and it's skyline - another fantastic, bold addition in a time when most skylines are going for filler and forgettable design. This will be a sight to behold.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture