HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 5:40 AM

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 11:47 PM

Pic by me today:

You can start to see the forms just to the right of Grosvenor Pacific.
That'll fill the view of English Bay.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 7:41 AM

From UrbanYVR twitter posted June 28th:

https://twitter.com/urbanyvr

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 10:28 AM

First two pics are the front, on Howe Street. The rest are the back, as seen from the alley.

June 30 '20, my pics

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 9:29 PM

The podium is very "Onni". The tower probably will be too, but we'll see. Still nice to get a 40 storey building in this spot that wouldn't have even been considered redevelopment potential 15 years ago (that hotel was busy and to tear down a functioning business like that wasn't common yet)

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
The podium is very "Onni". The tower probably will be too, but we'll see. Still nice to get a 40 storey building in this spot that wouldn't have even been considered redevelopment potential 15 years ago (that hotel was busy and to tear down a functioning business like that wasn't common yet)
The project was initially a Townline Homes project - Onni bought it from them after it was rezoned. The Quality Inn had already been closed for some time when it was rezoned in 2015 - it was leased to the City for use as non-market transitional housing, operated by the Community Builders Benevolent Foundation.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 9:42 PM

Has Vancouver been building any new Hotels recently? I know there has been a lot of loss of hotel space recently (the Landmark, this, Four Seasons, and the Province's recent acquisitions come to mind). It seems like a large reason that AirBnB was so successful pre-pandemic is because Hotel space is so tight. Maybe the city could alleviate that demand by encouraging more Hotel space?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Has Vancouver been building any new Hotels recently? I know there has been a lot of loss of hotel space recently (the Landmark, this, Four Seasons, and the Province's recent acquisitions come to mind). It seems like a large reason that AirBnB was so successful pre-pandemic is because Hotel space is so tight. Maybe the city could alleviate that demand by encouraging more Hotel space?
I think we have been net losing rooms, but J.W. Marriot Parq, The Douglas Parq, Hotel Blu, Trump International Hotel and Exchange Hotel come to mind quickly as new additions.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I think we have been net losing rooms, but J.W. Marriot Parq, The Douglas Parq, Hotel Blu, Trump International Hotel and Exchange Hotel come to mind quickly as new additions.
And there's a new hotel next to the Exchange under construction; an addition to the Y Hotel on Beatty nearly completed, and an Amacon Hotel approved on Robson. There's also a Boutique Hotel in the Coast Hotel on Denman (the main tower is rental, but the lower floor office space will be a new hotel), and there's a hotel being built on Seymour in the Arts & Crafts building by Coromandel.

And some market experts seem to think AirBnB were the reason why hotels were closing and few new ones were opening.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 12:47 AM

There was that boutique hotel project rendering for that building down near Burrard/Drake (?)

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:08 AM

Not sure which that would be.

+++++

1335 Howe, the vision glass to spandrel glass ratio looks very similar to the balcony sides of Grosvenor Pacific.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Not sure which that would be.

+++++

1335 Howe, the vision glass to spandrel glass ratio looks very similar to the balcony sides of Grosvenor Pacific.
On the Anchor Point office site down at Pacific (not Drake)

https://www.urbanyvr.com/anchor-poin...strata-windup/

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
On the Anchor Point office site down at Pacific (not Drake)

https://www.urbanyvr.com/anchor-poin...strata-windup/
If you read the story you'll see that the image has been removed, so who knows what might eventually emerge as a proposal there. The Burrard and Davie tower rezoning (replacing the community gardens where the gas station used to be) had a rather odd 'optional' hotel proposed - the podium could either have 50 hotel rooms, or maybe rental units. That has yet to be rezoned.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
If you read the story you'll see that the image has been removed, so who knows what might eventually emerge as a proposal there. The Burrard and Davie tower rezoning (replacing the community gardens where the gas station used to be) had a rather odd 'optional' hotel proposed - the podium could either have 50 hotel rooms, or maybe rental units. That has yet to be rezoned.
From what I've gathered it will be difficult to rezone that area to be a significant high-rise due to the corridor view protection for mt. cypress & grouse I believe.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 6:19 AM

If I recall correctly, the removed rendering had a very awkward skinny tower squeezed to the left of that viewcone.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
With the kind of City restrictions we have, I don't see any huge hotelier jumping in to build anything significant here anytime soon. My only hope is the Bay Parkade site between Seymour and Richards. If the economy and international travel flows are back to normality, I am hoping for an announcement by TA Global and/or its subsidiary Holborn to announce something substantial there.

1335 Howe Street is a good example of how a former hotel wasn't immediately replaced by another: downtown Vancouver just isn't a good place to invest despite huge tourism potentials.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
If I recall correctly, the removed rendering had a very awkward skinny tower squeezed to the left of that viewcone.

This funky rendering right? hard to see it will be feasible to fit.. guess that's why it was removed.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 9:03 PM

That's it.
Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 3:56 AM

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebjorn View Post

This funky rendering right? hard to see it will be feasible to fit.. guess that's why it was removed.
I think it was removed because someone not in a position to post a rendering of the building posted it. Whether it gets built is another question.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver