HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

American Commerce Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 4:04 AM
resu deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjawho View Post
Not only that...but, (assuming they will all eventually be built), once the two, (possibly three) towers over at Circa are up, BVT, The W, 1600 Vine, Parkway 22, and the new development over on Market are up, our skyline will be so much different, (read: bigger and wider) that this isn't going to stick out. At all. Even more so if we get another super tall or two...

Which reminds me...wasn't there rumors of one on Broad and Race? Whatever happened to that?
i have a really good imagination. i can see the possibility. i don't want to poop my pants.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 4:04 AM

Location: philadelphia -umm loft district/chinatown, i don't know what its called
Photos of site

Here is what the lot looks like....i didn't have a tripod so maybe a tad fuzzy...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 4:12 AM

The only drawback of it, that I see so far, is that it'll block the sunset reflecting off of the Comcast Center...but I think I'll survive.

This is so totally awesome. So by the time I'm 25/26, we will finally get our 1000 footer!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 4:21 AM

Wow! I'm not on the computer for 1 day and look what pops up. All I can say is Wow! I'm not completely utterly in love with the tower, but I've only see a few renderrings so far. I'm definitely liking the height and what the hell, I'm not going to complain. I HOPE it gets built!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 4:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnrosesmz View Post
The only drawback of it, that I see so far, is that it'll block the sunset reflecting off of the Comcast Center...but I think I'll survive.
I was JUST thinking that. But...we still get a great sunrise reflection. But I agree, the west side is the gem side I think. Glad to see this prime real estate is finally going to be developed though! This building would keep a lot of youth around and encourage a lot more new development throughout the entire city. Maybe we could finally afford a decent waterfront! Getting ahead of myself but we can dream right? So proud, Philadelphia! Very, very proud.

Last edited by Don098; Mar 14, 2008 at 6:51 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 4:36 AM

I was just talking to someone, (actually a fellow Philadelphian who lives in northern VA now), about how this, (if built), should raise land values like crazy in Center City. People are going to want to be near the third tallest building in America. Chicago pre-Sears and post-Sears is a good example of this.

There are mitigating factors tho...so its not a sure shot this is going to change our world as drastically as we all think...but theres definitely a good shot it could...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 4:41 AM
Pacific Wonderland

I would love to see this hit the Philly skyline, but in this economy? Hate to be negative, but reality may be knocking

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 5:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
I would love to see this hit the Philly skyline, but in this economy? Hate to be negative, but reality may be knocking
You should read the article on Phillyskyline.com that addresses the funding issue: http://phillyskyline.com/acc1.htm Remember, if this gets built, it won't break ground until at least summer 2009, and we'll have a new president by then so it won't be built in "this" economy Plus the green certification is clutch and forward thinking. You can save an enormous amount of money by going green and it will help pay for itself. Is it too much to ask for just ONE DAY of positive vibes? We have many months to dissect it so let us have our moment of excitement!

She's got HUUUUUGE.......tracts of land!

Last edited by Don098; Mar 14, 2008 at 6:05 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 5:42 AM

Why does Philly have to settle for 975' ? Why can't they just ... oh, wait.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 5:44 AM

Holy S..t are you kidding me !!! this is incredible. lets break ground tomorrow !! wow. now let me digest this for a bit and make a calmer, more rational post later......

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 6:41 AM
Beat it, bi(t)ches.

Sharing a similar sentiment with others on this forum, I as well am not particularly enthused about the design of this tower. However, the height is very impressive.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 7:28 AM

We will be all over this like, the proverbial, "white on rice!"

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 10:16 AM

"This Changes Everything"

-- how appropriate of a statement for this tower, on so many levels.

Let me introduce myself finally to this board, a long time reader, never a writer. I grew up in Philadelphia, but have lived the past 3 years in Chicago. I will be moving back to Philadelphia this summer for numerous reasons, one being the amazing growth I've witnessed in the city the past few years, and wanting to get in on the action.

When I first saw the announcement of the new 1500' proposed tower (thanks to Brad, of course, at PhillySkyline), I was almost in shock. Every couple hours I kept going back to the website, www.acctower.com, in case I thought I had mistaken the city or had been dreaming it. The claim, "This Changes Everything", really made me think about a couple of different things.

On one level, in the obvious way, it speaks to Philadelphia and how the city has been undergoing a rebirth the past decade. This tower represents the next step in our journey, the epitome of what we've all been praying for the past few years: a 'supertall' skyscraper to give our city a new identity in the new millennium. Of course, Comcast Center was a huge development for Philadelphia, but we all know we wanted more. We've all been waiting for that big announcement for so long, with only rumors of Wachovia or Comcast Phase II to keep us believing the dream that a supertall might actually happen. Of course today we learned differently. ACC will change everything for future development in the city, now setting a new standard for what we can achieve.

On the second level, this statement, "This Changes Everything", is an announcement to the country that Philadelphia is ready to take a step into the national limelight. If this tower breaks ground, we put ourselves in front of the US and make it known that we are back in business. This would be the biggest tower in the US outside NY and Chicago (as you're all aware). We take a big step forward, but put ourselves among a much larger competitive base. I imagine this is the part of fulfilling the proclamation that we're 'America's Next Great City'. If (I hope) the tower is built, we suddenly get compared with a whole new level. We put a physical, visible presence to reflect what we all feel about the city, that we're definitely on our way up.

I watched the announcement, ground breaking, and building of Comcast Center, like I'm sure many of you have done as well. I remember, while watching the tower go up, getting very excited for what I thought might trigger a domino effect of development in Center City. Today, my dreams came true, when my fantasy of a supertall might be considered for the city. Personally, I was praying for one along the Schyullkill (sort of like the River City proposal) -- I thought that would give the skyline more balance, considering Cira Centre South and the new highrise developemnts along the Delaware. But hell, a tower in Philly (technically speaking) bigger than the Sears Tower?! I don't care where it is or what the F it looks like! Build, build, build -- we're too late in the game to do much wrong at this point.

A tower like this, I'm almost sure, would "change everything" -- from not only our perspective of Philadelphia, but for every visitor to this city.

We're in the first phases of prepping ourselves for the Big Leagues, ladies and gentlemen of Philadelphia. Hold on tight, the future may be a wild one.

Last edited by Philadelcago; Mar 14, 2008 at 10:38 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 11:09 AM

Whoa!!! Congrats Philly. Movin' on up!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 11:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
skyscraper economics 101:
it's usually better to build in soft economies, because a) labor is cheaper b) by the time the building is finished, the economy will be ready to accomodate it. when you look at the skyscrapers that were built in the 80s in Philadelphia, they were built during a strong economy. by the time they were finished, the the real estate market had softened because they overestimated the demand for office space, and there were acres of unused space. this crashed the real estate market.
could be just the opposite with this thing.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 11:30 AM

Philadelcago: Welcome, great post, and hurry back!

sasso: Congratulations (seem to be saying that often in recent years!) on an incredible scoop. Saw this on phillyskyline last night and nearly fell off my chair, then read all the reaction on SSP. Waited til this morning to post anything because I wanted to make sure it was all still here.

Amazing, huh?

edit: Any chance of a public observation deck?

Last edited by Late1; Mar 14, 2008 at 11:41 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 11:32 AM
Resident Jackass

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 11:58 AM

WOW!

hey do you think comcast center has succeeded in creating a domino effect?

i mean when it was proposed, nobody in their right mind thought it would be filled other than comcast itself. basically the thinking was philly isn't growing so CC will merely shift jobs but lo and behold those other towers are still doing well - even to the point of raising rents while CC is 96% full.

but still you need to have an anchor tenant i think. i dont want to get overly excited for something that may not happen (though i pray it does!) but damn it what the hell! screw logic - if they build it they will come!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 12:56 PM
Always Lookin' Up

Wow !!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 1:25 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

This is one of my proudest moments as a Philadelphian, even if it is a proposal, developers finally think of Philadelphia in the same league as Chicago & NYC. Congrats to B-luv on the scoop, your a tremendous asset to this city and the growing philadelphia skyscraper communtiy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive