HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 11:50 PM

480 Stone Church Rd | 8 fl | ? | Complete

Valery Construction has begun contruction on an 8 story apartment building on the corner of upper wentworth and stone church rd. The build will have retail on the ground floor with 63 dwelling units on the remaining 7 stories.

I have a B&W rendeing around as well and a crappy photocopy of a site plan.

Anyway I am suprised nobody has posted this yet.

I think its great that finally there will be something of good height on mountian south of the Linc.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 12:18 AM
It's Hammer Time

You gotta post the rendering, we all love artist renderings.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 2:38 AM
Closed account

Is it set back, or close to the street?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
You gotta post the rendering, we all love artist renderings.
use your imagination, SteelTown

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 12:33 PM
It's Hammer Time

But I don't wanna!!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
Valery Construction has begun contruction on an 8 story apartment building on the corner of upper wentworth and stone church rd. The build will have retail on the ground floor with 63 dwelling units on the remaining 7 stories.

I have a B&W rendeing around as well and a crappy photocopy of a site plan.

Anyway I am suprised nobody has posted this yet.

I think its great that finally there will be something of good height on mountian south of the Linc.
I noticed the foundation being prepared a couple weeks back and wondered what was being built here. I'm relieved it is an apartment building and not a gas station or fast food drive-thru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Is it set back, or close to the street?
Judging by the layout of the foundation it won't be set back from the street. The size of the lot really wouldn't allow for a set back of any significance anyway.

This is a great example of proper infill intensification for the mountain. Hopefully we'll see much more of it. Kudos for Valery for doing a development like this.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 4:17 AM

From March 2007

That the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing be advised that the City of Hamilton recommends the following prioritized proponents be approved under the Rental/Supportive component of the Canada-Ontario Affordable Housing Program:
i) T. Valeri Construction Limited, 480 Stone Church Road East new apartment construction, 63 units. $5.67 million

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 5:38 AM
Hammer'd

Suddenly my excitement for this project completely diminishes when I see the term "Affordable Housing".
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 6:06 AM
Closed account

Well, at least it's on the mountain and not downtown. Thank heaven for small mercies.

Does Valeri ever build anything that isn't subsidized?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Suddenly my excitement for this project completely diminishes when I see the term "Affordable Housing".
Affordable housing is desperately needed. A growing proportion of the population in Hamilton (and other Canadian cities) is struggling with housing insecurity. The move to a service economy (which for many means working in retail, call centres and the like) leads to lower wages, which are then eaten up by increasing rents.

This is a good project precisely because it puts affordable housing somewhere other than the downtown core.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 1:02 PM
Hammer'd

Yah... I admit I said my comment with hesitation, as the point you raised certainly came to mind. Still, I can't help but vision a ghetto building in my head when I see the term "affordable housing". I agree though that it is good that this development is out of the downtown core. I am still really angry about the Connaught thing and it has really tainted my view on affordable housing projects.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 27, 2010, 8:36 AM
Concerned Citizen

Passed by this location Friday. They have the construction crane in place finally. This construction seems to be moving at a snails pace.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2010, 9:08 AM

Can't help but wonder why this is being built so far from the proposed rapid transit lines on Upper James and Rymal Rd. Is the operating assumption that even people on social assistance are expected to drive cars to get where they need to go?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2010, 2:37 PM

Actually, the fact that a crane is up makes this infinitely faster than almost all of the downtown projects listed here.

And the norm these days is for people on social assistance to be pushed to the edge of cities and destined to a life of 2 hour bus rides. Hamilton is just getting on board this trend, but Ottawa and Toronto already have it down pat.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 1:59 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff's two cents View Post
Can't help but wonder why this is being built so far from the proposed rapid transit lines on Upper James and Rymal Rd. Is the operating assumption that even people on social assistance are expected to drive cars to get where they need to go?
Those rapid transit lines are 30 years away at least and this building was planned before there was even talk of LRT. Besides that there is a bus stop right in front of the place.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 12:02 PM

^Fair enough, though it still strikes me as Mississauga- or Burlington-esque to plunk an eight-storey building (social housing or no) in the middle of a mass of one and two-storey single family residences sprawling as far as the eye can see.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 7:46 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
^Fair enough, though it still strikes me as Mississauga- or Burlington-esque to plunk an eight-storey building (social housing or no) in the middle of a mass of one and two-storey single family residences sprawling as far as the eye can see.
There are other apartment buildings in the area, just down the street on Upper Wentworth. There are also a number of seniors buildings and nursing homes in the area. Most of that area is townhouses, not so much single family homes.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 5:05 AM

Quote:
It's 1) Where there is land available and 2) has good bus connections to Limeridge Mall (which is supposed to eventually be a terminus for a branch of the A line and a stop on the T line) and is only a 2-3 minute bus ride/ a 10 minute walk to a prospective A line station at Stone Church and Upper James.

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
There are other apartment buildings in the area, just down the street on Upper Wentworth. There are also a number of seniors buildings and nursing homes in the area. Most of that area is townhouses, not so much single family homes.
Living in that area I can count about 5-6 apartments/ retirement homes in close walking distance. As well there are many townhomes in the vicinity, Catholic and Public High Schools (not quite sure about elementary schools), and it is close to many parks and shops, as well as the police station and YMCA.

Most of the land around here is not being developed as detached housing but as semi-detached, townhomes, or as apartments.

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 6:35 AM

Sorry folks, I was just going off what I saw on Google street view. Something still doesn't seem right to me, but then again I'm not a southern Ontarian, and plunking larger buildings on the outskirts of town, instead of closer to job centers and in more pedestrian-friendly environments (a la Mississauga and Burlington), was a bit of an urban/suburban culture shock for this Vancouverite. Don't take offense.

I've also done my share of bus-riding out to Limeridge and back and hated it, every single time (what I wouldn't have given for some decent clothing shops downtown!) - long waits, narrow sidewalks, crowded buses, you name it. My bet is most of these people, assisted housing or no, will be driving, and I don't blame them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton