HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 1:24 AM
Lurkerus Omnipresentus

The rates are high, yes. But I also no longer have to pay $450/yr just to register my car, among other things.

Still higher than average, but I think alot of the "sticker shock" is offset by alot of things people don't realize.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 4:06 AM
Trendy.

Yeah, but coming from the state that's #48 in the nation for tax burden, it's a shock to me. lol

The big shocker is the gas tax - I just read in USA Today on the plane last night that NYS has the highest at 60.1 cents per gallon. Down here it's about 28 cents.

I wish NYS would do a grand experiment - cut taxes and see how it affects growth. We can dream, right?

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussell83
We were on CNN this morning:
Oh Jesus...a list no city wants to be on, a list with Detroit and Youngstown. Anyways, I hate to be a pessimist (that's Sully's job ), but the City of Buffalo housing market is realllllly cold right now. Houses are staying on the market for many many months and people I know are losing money on their houses...I'm even a little nervous about possibly buying a recently renovated house in the west village (even with all the neat projects in the area going on).

[this is bjfan82 btw incase anyone was wondering]

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley
I wish NYS would do a grand experiment - cut taxes and see how it affects growth. We can dream, right?
That would mean that our state can't fund amazingly productive, efficient, and quality social programs. God, I want the state to cut the taxes to like zero, that would be great, I'm so f**king sick of paying for these programs, blah.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 4:56 AM
Trendy.

You're right! Our state government is so efficient, especially with our lean, non-unionized workforce

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 5:35 AM
Landmark Restored

I think a good way to spur growth and development in Buffalo would be to lower commercial taxes to near zero levels. NYC often gives large tax breaks to companies who threaten to leave the city. Lowering commercial taxes across the board will entice companies to move here without the need to haggle for subsidies. A large part of NYC's wealth comes from housing taxes. People move where the jobs are. Since Buffalo's economic base is no longer reliant on commerce, I think lowering commercial taxes will do more good than harm.

Also I don't have a big problem with the construction of this 10 storey parking garage. The first three floors will still have a street presence and there will be retail. Also Buffalo will always be a car city so this piece of infastructure will hopefully bring more people downtown.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 5:10 PM

I'm in Baltimore for the week.... It's so depressing to see all the develpoment here.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 5:49 PM
welcome to the madness

Hey I'll be in Baltimore on Saturday! I'm taking my family to the inner harbor--haven't been there before. We're in the Wilmington, DE metro for the week.

Have the Statler restoration plans been posted here yet? They're on BRO--pretty cool!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2006, 4:21 PM

Here's a good sign on the Statler Project moving forward, Issa's group has awarded a contract to rehab the elevators in the building to a Niagara County company.

Lewiston company to repair Statler elevators
Business First of Buffalo - 8:47 AM EST Friday

The new owners of the Statler Towers building in downtown Buffalo have taken a giant step forward with one of the most pressing issues relating to the restoration of the faded, historic landmark.

BSC Development Group, the Manchester, England-based owners of the former hotel-turned-office building have awarded an elevator repair contract. Elevator service -- or the lack of it -- has been something of an Achilles Heel for the building and its tenants in recent years.

DCB Elevator Co. Inc. of Lewiston was awarded the contract to begin repairs to the building's main elevators. Terms were not disclosed.

Elevator service has been a hit-and-miss proposition in the building for the past few years. Since the freak October snowstorm, the main elevators have been without service and tenants have been forced to use a freight elevator.

New owner Bashar Issa pledged to restore elevator service before he did anything else in the building.

Issa is planning $80 million worth of renovations to the building as part of a plan to transform into a mixed-use complex with hotels, condominiums, office and retail space.

The work is expected to be completed by late 2008 or early 2009.

R&P Oak Hill LLC of Blasdell has been retained as the project's construction manager and Silvestri Architects of Amherst has been hired as the architectural team. Tredo Engineers and IBC Engineering, both of Buffalo, have retained as the respective structural and mechanical engineers.

http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffa...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 5:00 PM

WNY Construction Cools Off

Business First of Buffalo - 8:13 AM EST Tuesday

Western New York's construction industry has been hot for most of the year, but it cooled off last month, according to a report released Tuesday by McGraw-Hill Inc.

Contracts for future construction in Erie and Niagara counties totaled $79.1 million in October. That was down 54 percent from the corresponding total of $171.2 million for the same month a year ago.

Both sides of the industry were affected by the downturn. Residential construction dropped 36 percent, and nonresidential construction fell 63 percent. Nonresidential projects include office buildings, industrial plants, stores, schools and churches.

Year-to-date figures remained substantially higher, reflecting the construction industry's strong performance during the first three quarters of 2006.

Contracts signed between Jan. 1 and Oct. 31 totaled $1.14 billion in the two-county region this year, which was 28 percent ahead of last year's 10-month total of $889 million.

Residential construction was up 12 percent for the January-October period, while nonresidential construction was up 42 percent.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 8:28 PM

Issa Tower question:

Are there any legal roadblocks forming against the construction of the proposed tower? I haven't heard of any. I hope there isn't....

anyone?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 4:24 AM

no but im sure once the wny construction unions know about issa's own construction company (which im certain is not unionized) an army of large inflatable rats will appear infront of South Elmwood.

but lets not get ahead of ourselves! we gotta make sure it's actually gonna be built 1st before we start worrying about obstacled

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy064
Issa Tower question:

Are there any legal roadblocks forming against the construction of the proposed tower? I haven't heard of any. I hope there isn't....

anyone?
I haven't heard of any....it isn't in a historic district, and the West Village Renn. Group appears to be OK with the plans. The only one to watch out for is Palladino.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believeinbflo
no but im sure once the wny construction unions know about issa's own construction company (which im certain is not unionized) an army of large inflatable rats will appear infront of South Elmwood.

but lets not get ahead of ourselves! we gotta make sure it's actually gonna be built 1st before we start worrying about obstacled
Well, If we have thought of that, Im sure Issa and his associates (Hamberger in paticular) have plans in case this develops. Call me strange, but Im thinking we may not be the only ones wanting to see a dramatic change in the skyline.Could be the entire community wants to see this happen. Remember the Adelphia feasco? Folks were excited, before being let down. Im confident everything is going to work out. My only fear is if the project is (Gasp) Scaled back. God, don't let that happen. I've wanted something taller downtown sense Albany's tower was built in the early 70s.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 3:14 PM

3 idle commercial sites downtown to be transformed into 60 residences

By SHARON LINSTEDT
News Staff Reporter
11/29/2006

Another wave of downtown Buffalo housing is scheduled to bring more than 60 additional residences to idle commercial sites.

The former Seneca Paper Co. warehouse at 210 Ellicott St., a mansion-turned-radio station at 23 North St. and an idle restaurant/commercial building at 504 Washington St. are all planned for conversion into homes in 2007.

"If I didn't believe the downtown residential market is strong, I wouldn't have come this far," said architect and developer Jake Schneider, who purchased the vacant Seneca Paper building in 2005 with an eye on converting it into loft apartments.

"We did a market study that looked specifically at the high-end units we were considering and found there's solid demand," he said.

Schneider and his partners are concluding efforts to have the 1913 warehouse certified as a historic structure. Armed with that designation, the seven-story building - which was one of the first high-rise, concrete-frame warehouses in the United States - is positioned to garner historic tax credits.

The $5 million project will yield 20 two-bedroom apartments and 10 one-bedroom units, chock-full of upscale amenities such as soaking tubs, laundry rooms and plentiful closets. The Warehouse Loft will also feature parking for 14 vehicles on the first floor and 8,000 square feet of office space on the second.

The developer has also purchased a nearby 62-space parking lot for use by his tenants.

Asbestos-removal work is under way, with construction to follow in mid-December. The developer is working with the Community Preservation Corp. and the City of Buffalo to assemble "gap financing" to aid the primarily privately funded effort.

Just around the corner at 504 Washington, E Square Capital has begun transforming a three-story commercial site into a trio of two-family townhouses. The unusual project will create owner-occupied multilevel dwellings, each offering the option of a separate rental unit. Each townhouse will also have indoor parking for two vehicles.

"It's a different twist on what's going on downtown. It's an ownership opportunity without the legal hassle of establishing condominiums," E Square's Eran Epstein said. "We think they'll be very appealing."

The townhouses, located across the street from Epstein's Holling Place Apartments, a converted printing plant, are expected to be priced at about $300,000.

First Amherst Development, which debuted the Granite Works residential/retail complex in the 800 block of Main Street this summer, is now taking aim at 23 North. The developer bought the vacant, late-1800s mansion, which served for many years as the home of WEBR-AM and WNED-FM, for $155,000 in September.

"We're always looking for another challenge, and we made the acquisition with the intention of continuing our great success in creating great market-rate housing downtown," said Ben Obletz of First Amherst.

The North Street property's location, at the northern edge of downtown, a few blocks from the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus, had a lot to do with the developer's decision. Obletz said that it is a good fit for the company's "strategic vision" for city projects.

"We don't have final plans yet, but the general concept will be to bring that great old house back to life, along with a new-construction component," he added.

It is expected that the project will include as many as 30 apartments. First Amherst has also dusted off plans for a mid-rise apartment/condominium development in the 700 block of Main. That 100-unit project is not expected to take shape until 2008.

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20061129/1057675.asp

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 1:09 AM
Great White Norf

^definitely good news!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 3:34 AM

Very nice, funny to see a post about slowing down just above a post about more dev.
Went down to the NewEra store today, cool stuff!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 3:10 PM

Here's a jump-start. Biz First has a rendering of Paladino's waterfront village condo tower. 49 units, $260-$800k, starting construction next Spring:

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 3:32 PM
Closed account

hey folks
I live in Hamilton and came to Buffalo a few weeks back for the first time and found the Allentown/Elmwood neighbourhood. LOVED IT!
I'm coming back tomorrow with the wife, kids and 2 friends of ours who've never been.
One question - is it a safe area to walk around with kids?
I was watching the news last night from Buffalo and it said there's been around 70 some odd murders there this year. Hamilton's police force patrols a similar-sized area and we have between 5-8 murders every year.
Anything I should know about Elmwood area to stay safe?

Cheers

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 3:35 PM

Welcome and Elmwood is one of the safest neighborhoods in Buffalo. Most of the murders are in one area of the city and are drug/gang related (East Side). Enjoy your visit and come more often!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations