HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 10:11 AM

Super images.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 12:33 PM

Ohc

Oct 15

Interior set for Optima I at SkyRiseCities

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 3:26 PM
Windy City Dan

Man the colors on this this are just so great. So engineering question; I feel like I pay pretty close attention to details like this, but maybe I missed it so feel free to correct me, but is it common to have the support columns set so far back from the exterior wall? I would think it would be idea to construct a building like this to maximize views, but I feel like with almost all recent buildings I've watched go up, there are always circular columns right up to the windows. So in a sense, each floor is somewhat cantilevered on all sides. A, is this common? B, are there engineering hurdles in construction like this? C, does the curtain wall share any of the load?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 4:03 PM

I noticed too that the exterior columns are set in pretty far. This is fantastic for creating lovely interior spaces, but does reduce the building's ability to resist shearing (wind, seismic) loads, meaning the columns inside must be a little stronger to compensate for the weaker structural design.
It must have been a fair trade off for amazingly premium floor plans, nobody wants a big fat column obstructing those views, especially the corners.
The curtain wall adds nothing to the structure, it might add a tiny bit of shear strength, but the engineers should not depend on that. Its almost like when you assemble a shitty piece of flat pack furniture from IKEA or Walmart, its often very wobbly until you attach that big thin flat back panel that consists of little more than paperboard. Yes, it stiffens up the structure by acting as diagonal bracing, but a skyscraper is not furniture, and a glass curtain wall can hardly absorb the immense loads and flexing that happens on a high wind day. It moves with the sway, but doesn't resist it. So its really not a great idea to depend on the curtain wall for stiffening. The columns simply need to be sized larger to be set back so far, Optima did indeed pay more to achieve this.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
Man the colors on this this are just so great. So engineering question; I feel like I pay pretty close attention to details like this, but maybe I missed it so feel free to correct me, but is it common to have the support columns set so far back from the exterior wall? I would think it would be idea to construct a building like this to maximize views, but I feel like with almost all recent buildings I've watched go up, there are always circular columns right up to the windows. So in a sense, each floor is somewhat cantilevered on all sides. A, is this common? B, are there engineering hurdles in construction like this? C, does the curtain wall share any of the load?
I'm not 100% sure the cantilevers are the reason, but Optima's lateral system includes 14,000 psi concrete from foundation to roof in the core + four columns that are braced to the core at various levels via outrigger beams, (22&52 if memory serves.) The 1st building had almost the exact same cantilevers, but nothing special for the lateral system, so the wind loading for the added height must've been the biggest factor.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 7:45 PM

The cantilever slabs and inward columns may have been done for views, but they are also essential in creating the floating appearance at each of the balcony levels and the transparency/clarity of a curtainwall that is uninterrupted by spandrel glass or columns when viewed from the exterior. It's a very important component of this particular design.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 2:19 PM

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 6:41 AM
Chicago

November 17, 2016

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 2:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

sleek and bold.

love it!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 3:04 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

Wow, in the sunlight this thing really shines. I'm in love...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 3:04 PM
The City

^ Agreed. The red adds a flash of color without overwhelming. I was concerned about how that was going to turn out.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 4:38 PM

I walk by this building often and the lack of symmetry and/or reason for where the Red, Black, and Clear glass start and stop on the podium are giving my OCD fits. Granted it is still U/C, so maybe it will make sense when it's done...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 5:23 PM

Like he said, ^^^ It's going to add a "flash" to an area that is well overdue from blue glass boxes. I hope Optima picks up a couple more parking lots in the area. Like across the street from whole foods.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 8:20 PM

certainly does add some nice flash to the area indeed!... who would of thought that changing colors different to whats surrounding would do that?? ..
maybe other developers\architects would start catching on

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 11:02 PM

Nov 4
Cubs won !

Nov 7
Beefing up the canyon that is Grand

Nov 11

Nov 16

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 11:18 PM

11/25

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 8:18 AM

Nice shot. This one will stick out for sure. Anybody got some insider info if the Optima team wants to expand further than I and II?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 5:09 PM

^^^ Well at this point their current parcel is all used up, but it would be fantastic to see Hovey grab another parcel downtown, or better yet, another parcel on Cityfront Plaza like say the one North of NBC. Maybe he can keep upping the ante and deliver us an 800-1000' purple glass rectangle with a bright orange base, lol.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 5:35 PM
Development Shill

^^ I wish you had never imagined that scenario because now I really badly want to see a rendering of that type of building. At the very least it would be comical, maybe even edgy and ground breaking haha

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 6:01 PM

I would love some orange glass like Mercury city in moscow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive