HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 9:59 PM
BANNED

Haven't heard much from the Valley lately.

Warner Center is a booming area. I think it's lack of good transit is likely to limit its growth to something considerably less than CC, but that is OK. It's basically suburban (ala Costa Mesa), not urban, but with a small walkable core. It's good for locals to shop and dine in, and for regional offices.

I have wondered about how NBC's move was progressing. I know the locals and their representatives were strongly opposed to the idea given its size and potential traffic issues. In this case it seemed like their arguments were fairly weak since the job moves were largely from Burbank locations, which are already nearby, and the additional proposed development was at a Red Line station. Nevertheless, they were quite vociferous and seem to have been effective.

The funny thing is that DT or Hollywood would love to have NBC build or renovate something. But they prefer to use land they already own and in any event it's hard to get people who live in the Valley to commute to DT or Hollywood. so I assume the process will drag out.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 10:54 PM

There are many ways to mitigate some traffic concerns in the SFV, like extending the now U/C Orange Line to Chatsworth Metrolink Station, connecting the Red Line to Burbank Airport and/or Sun Valley Metrolink Station, maybe connect the Orange Line to the Gold Line. Plus factor in the BRT Lines planned under Measure R.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 5:38 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Thought I would post a few updates in the Hollywood Neighborhood. Picture quality piss poor but you get the idea:

The Jefferson

From H&H looking east across Highland:

You can sort of make out the interior courtyard there:

Zara now open for business:

1600 Vine:

I'm not sure if this is part of 1600 Vine or the W Hotel:

That's it. Oh, does anybody know anything new about The Madrone? The developer, John Laing Homes filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy a while back but no new news. I can only imagine it is tied in all sorts of litigation with people putting down deposits that they never recouped. I just wish a new developer could assume no liability and get this project finished. The project sits in a state of decay and graffiti on Hollywood and La Brea.

Here is a rendering:

This is how it has looks since last fall:

http://activerain.com/blogsview/8819...e-in-Hollywood

Last edited by dktshb; Aug 23, 2009 at 6:07 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:49 PM

I've read back through a couple of pages, but didn't see anything about this, but does anybody know what's going on across from Pacific Design Center ... northwest corner of San Vicente and Melrose? It may be nothing, but the site looks pretty substantial.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 5:42 PM

I think the northwest corner is the new WeHo public library, has construction started?
Here is a link to the architects-
http://www.johnsonfavaro.com/Portfol...l%20Garage.htm

The northeast corner is this-
http://www.red-building.com/

Oh, and great photos by the way dktshb, thanks for posting.

Last edited by Steve2726; Sep 2, 2009 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post

Oh, does anybody know anything new about The Madrone? The developer, John Laing Homes filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy a while back but no new news. I can only imagine it is tied in all sorts of litigation with people putting down deposits that they never recouped. I just wish a new developer could assume no liability and get this project finished. The project sits in a state of decay and graffiti on Hollywood and La Brea.
Back from the dead-

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2009/0...esume.php#more

It's Back On, Baby! Hollywood's Madrone Sells, Work Will Resume.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Additionally, he noted that solicitation for a general contractor (GC) has begun. "The GC [is] anticipated to be on board November 1 but no later than end of year – 2009," he writes. Wilson confirms that construction is expected to re-start by the end of the year.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 6:05 PM

^^^ Aw, dig that. It makes a nice connection to the park.

I'm not sure if they've started construction or just doing site work. The site is fenced off and it looked like something was going on behind the gates.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 6:47 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Thanks Steve:

That's great news about The Madrone or I guess now 1633 North La Brea!

I figured the PaliHouse was delayed too, and I hope they get started on it again real soon. The exterior is pretty much finished so it would be nice to see it functioning as a hotel sooner than later.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 5:53 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Great news...

[Via Westside/Bikeside]

Wilshire and Vermont Park Suggestion Just Another Prank

By Dakota
September 18, 2009

Once the site of a proposed vertical mall and once the site of proposed housing project, and now, on Park (ing) Day, a park is proposed for the vacant lot of Vermont and Wilshire. Owner Gerding-Edlen may have to OK the suggestion.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 7:59 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Drove by the new Hollenbeck LAPD station this morning, with its interesting molded glass facade. AC Martin is the architect. This must look great at night.

Gold Line stations are still U/C, they don't look close from the outside to being done for a while.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 8:15 PM
Ascension

The radio tower dampens a very interesting building.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 5:20 AM
BANNED

visual gimmickry masquerading as architecture. cheap thrills are very la

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
I drove by this on Sunday. I really like it, it's definitely a better facility than the one it replaces.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
visual gimmickry masquerading as architecture.
That statement applies to anything of the Post-Modern persuasion, in my opinion.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 9:58 AM

I assume the screens improve energy efficiency. So, the facade is really ecological sustainability "masquerading as architecture."

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 3:02 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Quote:
visual gimmickry masquerading as architecture. cheap thrills are very la
Yeah, a concrete tilt up warehouse block would be better....

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 5:14 PM
BANNED

I suppose a post-modernist would say that all there is is visual gimmickry (“everything is surface”); architecture is the masquerade (that is, an attempt to create meaning or significance where there is no signifier to begin with). Rational analysis is doomed to failure for a variety of reasons. Hardly anyone holds this position strictly for very long. Usually the more primitive human urges emerge in the objects created (power, grandeur, playfulness, etc.).

However, it is possible to discuss emotive responses. I think it looks OK except for the ridiculous red and white tower.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 5:35 PM

I actually don't mind the tower. It's not a ugly as a cellular tower.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 6:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
I suppose a post-modernist would say that all there is is visual gimmickry (“everything is surface”); architecture is the masquerade (that is, an attempt to create meaning or significance where there is no signifier to begin with). Rational analysis is doomed to failure for a variety of reasons. Hardly anyone holds this position strictly for very long. Usually the more primitive human urges emerge in the objects created (power, grandeur, playfulness, etc.).

However, it is possible to discuss emotive responses. I think it looks OK except for the ridiculous red and white tower.
only the postmodernist by your definition. and your definition of architecture is two-dimensional, just like the visual gimmickry you're appearing to defend. architecture need not ignore spatial or structural concerns, even to your shallow postmodernist. buildings need not be billboards, even to your shallow postmodernist. even when meaning is all that matters. now you got me critiquing trash well beyond justification. but i do agree that much postmodern miscellany eventually dose find its own place in our morality. unfortunately this building will be forgotten in time. its trash.

sopas, how is it significantly different from a concrete tilt up save for the lame facade and offset windows? easily impressed dilettantes now aren't we?

Last edited by edluva; Sep 22, 2009 at 7:19 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 7:09 PM

Quote:
only the postmodernist by your definition.

sopas, how is it significantly different from a concrete tilt up save for the lame facade and offset windows? easily impressed dilettantes now aren't we?
Well, let me ask you this; which would you have preferred? A Taj Mahal? A concrete tilt up box? This? It's all obviously very subjective, if you don't like it, I don't care, it's your opinion.

Easily impressed dilettante? No. Saying that I like something, sure.

If you've ever driven through that neighborhood, or lived in that neighborhood, I'm sure this design is probably a nice one; it's certainly unique to the area. Those people deserve something much better than a tilt-up concrete box.

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations