HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 5:53 PM

Lightbulb

In the first video, a white vehicle definitely drove around a gate with working signals and bells. In the second video, the black vehicle not only drove around the gate, but passed another vehicle that had stopped for the gate.
That is not distracted driving, the driver must steer their vehicle around the gates. Very tough to blame the railroad company for people deliberately breaking the law.

Last edited by electricron; Jan 15, 2024 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 6:40 PM
Show me the blueprints

I feel bad about not feeling all that bad about these people. I don't care for the term social Darwinism, but it does appear to be what we are witnessing here.

This concludes my daily confession.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 9:36 PM

Yeah well, I didn’t see the crossing arm until now. It’s hard to tell in the video and I had to zoom in to notice it. I take back my comment regarding the lack of physical impediment and distracted driving for those two specific cases, but the whole substance it’s the same - why don’t they install quad gates? Is that really expensive? It seems a quad gate would definetly reduce the collisions. When doing public policy you need to care about this, even if it’s utterly stupidity, safety measures are also designed to deal with human stupidity (SPECIALLY with driving rules). This is not only for to the lives you would save from the people committing the stupidity, but also those affected by this. I bet people inside the train can and will get injured with these collisions, plus the costs to repair the trains, delay the operations, etc, there is a lot of issues resulting from not mitigating human stupidity.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 9:43 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_Batty View Post
but the whole substance it’s the same - why don’t they install quad gates? Is that really expensive? It seems a quad gate would definetly reduce the collisions. When doing public policy you need to care about this, even if it’s utterly stupidity, safety measures are also designed to deal with human stupidity (SPECIALLY with driving rules). This is not only for to the lives you would save from the people committing the stupidity, but also those affected by this. I bet people inside the train can and will get injured with these collisions, plus the costs to repair the trains, delay the operations, etc, there is a lot of issues resulting from not mitigating human stupidity.
Well, maybe some of these local communities along the route would have some funds to build the quad gates if they had not spent so much money on lawyers opposing the Brightline trains. FYI, there were freight trains running along this route long before 1900. These trains on this route just did not appear overnight, they have been here for a really long time.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_Batty View Post
Yeah well, I didn’t see the crossing arm until now. It’s hard to tell in the video and I had to zoom in to notice it. I take back my comment regarding the lack of physical impediment and distracted driving for those two specific cases, but the whole substance it’s the same - why don’t they install quad gates? Is that really expensive? It seems a quad gate would definetly reduce the collisions. When doing public policy you need to care about this, even if it’s utterly stupidity, safety measures are also designed to deal with human stupidity (SPECIALLY with driving rules). This is not only for to the lives you would save from the people committing the stupidity, but also those affected by this. I bet people inside the train can and will get injured with these collisions, plus the costs to repair the trains, delay the operations, etc, there is a lot of issues resulting from not mitigating human stupidity.
I believe all the crossings are quad gates here in S. Florida. Haven't been on the Orlando route yet, so have yet to see what going on with that section, but yes, they should at least have them.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 6:17 PM

What would be the practiability of retracable bollards?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 7:05 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ $$$. Plus the unavoidable fact that they would often have a vehicle stopped right over them because nitwits don't pay attention to pavement markings either.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 12:48 AM

Thanks Urban Impact for the answer, hopefully Brightline will continue implementing quad gates in all the West Palm Beach to Orlando route. I really think this should be a bear minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Well, maybe some of these local communities along the route would have some funds to build the quad gates if they had not spent so much money on lawyers opposing the Brightline trains. FYI, there were freight trains running along this route long before 1900. These trains on this route just did not appear overnight, they have been here for a really long time.
I don’t agree with you. Whether local communities opposed the project or not should not be an excuse for anything. If the local communities voted against the project, that should be a more compelling reason for authorities to request Brightline to spent some cents in this stuff to at least alleviate some of the concerns. I’m pretty sure trains before 1900 were slower than 110 mph.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 12:00 PM

Las Vegas-to-California high-speed electric rail project gets OK for $2.5B more in bonds

Associated Press
Jan. 23, 2024

"LAS VEGAS (AP) — A proposed high-speed passenger train between Las Vegas and Southern California got another boost on Tuesday with Biden administration approval to issue $2.5 billion in tax-exempt bonds for the $12 billion project.

The announcement benefiting the Brightline West project followed a $3 billion U.S. Department of Transportation grant in December and government authorization in 2020 for the company to sell $1 billion in similar bonds.

“We appreciate the confidence placed in us by DOT and are ready to get to work,” Brightline founder and Chairman Wes Edens said in a statement. Florida-based Brightline Holdings LLC currently operates the only privately-owned intercity passenger railroad in the U.S., linking Miami and Orlando with trains reaching speeds up to 125 mph (200 kph)..."

https://apnews.com/article/bullet-tr...7801437df29fbe

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Las Vegas-to-California high-speed electric rail project gets OK for $2.5B more in bonds

Associated Press
Jan. 23, 2024

"LAS VEGAS (AP) — A proposed high-speed passenger train between Las Vegas and Southern California got another boost on Tuesday with Biden administration approval to issue $2.5 billion in tax-exempt bonds for the $12 billion project.

The announcement benefiting the Brightline West project followed a $3 billion U.S. Department of Transportation grant in December and government authorization in 2020 for the company to sell $1 billion in similar bonds.

“We appreciate the confidence placed in us by DOT and are ready to get to work,” Brightline founder and Chairman Wes Edens said in a statement. Florida-based Brightline Holdings LLC currently operates the only privately-owned intercity passenger railroad in the U.S., linking Miami and Orlando with trains reaching speeds up to 125 mph (200 kph)..."

https://apnews.com/article/bullet-tr...7801437df29fbe
Awesome!! Thanks for sharing this with me. Please keep us posted!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 6:44 PM

https://www.thenextmiami.com/brightl...in-2023-up-67/
Brightline Carries 2M Passengers In 2023, Up 67%

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 5:12 PM

Brightline West conducts fieldwork in California ahead of high-speed rail groundbreaking

By Rene Ray De La Cruz
Victorville Daily Press
Jan. 29, 2024

"Brightline West launched field investigation work this week in Southern California in anticipation of a groundbreaking of its high-speed rail system between Las Vegas and Rancho Cucamonga.

The fieldwork, for the proposed rail corridor within the Interstate 15 right-of-way, will advance the final stages of design in preparation for a groundbreaking, Brightline West told the Daily Press.

Field work also began earlier this month in Nevada for what Brightline West officials call “America’s first true high-speed rail system..."

https://www.vvdailypress.com/story/n...g/72372501007/

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 1:01 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation