HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I think he means that the other partners in OSEG have that kind of money.
I'm not sure about that. Bettman has set the expansion price at $650M US, I would think Melnyk would want close to that. The Greenbergs, Hunts, etc. are rich, but they don't really have professional sports mogul money.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 6:14 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

The Carolina Hurricanes were recently (partially) sold at a reported (but unconfirmed) valuation of about $500M. You'd have to expect the Senators to sell at least for that much.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 6:15 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Senators fan favourite Chris Neil retires from NHL
Gap-toothed enforcer holds franchise record with 2,522 penalty minutes

CBC News Posted: Dec 14, 2017 9:44 AM ET Last Updated: Dec 14, 2017 11:12 AM ET

Longtime Ottawa Senators tough guy Chris Neil announced his NHL retirement at a Thursday morning news conference.

Neil, 38, was drafted by the Sens in 1998, played his first NHL game in 2001 and spent his entire career with the team.

The Markdale, Ont., native said he's spoiled and blessed to have played for the Senators and made Ottawa his home, saying he felt like an underdog his whole career and that he felt like fans appreciated his blue-collar, hard-working attitude.

The gritty forward was a physical presence on the ice for 15 seasons and has a headlock on the team record for penalty minutes with 2,522.

The next-closest Sen? Retired defenceman Chris Phillips with 758.

Only former captain Daniel Alfredsson and Phillips played more games for the Senators than Neil's 1,026. He also chipped in 112 goals and 250 points.

Neil said Thursday his career highlight was the 2007 run to the Stanley Cup Final under coach Bryan Murray, who died earlier this year.

General manager Pierre Dorion called him one of the greatest Senators of all time and definitely the toughest.

It comes after Neil and the team parted ways in June in what Dorion then described as a "mutual decision" over Neil's ice time going forward.

At the time, Dorion described the meeting as difficult but said there were no hard feelings.

He added if Neil decided to retire, the Senators would welcome him back in some role.

"However long he wants to play after that, I think as an organization we should always have the door open for Chris Neil," Dorion said in June.

Neil did not sign with another team this season but reportedly declined a professional tryout with the Montreal Canadiens.

He said Thursday he'll keep working with organizations such as Roger Neilson House for young people in palliative care and will participate in alumni activities around this weekend's NHL 100 Classic outdoor game.

Jokingly, then perhaps a little more seriously, he said he's also interested in a broadcasting career.

Neil played only 53 games last season, averaging seven minutes 34 seconds of ice time as new head coach Guy Boucher put his stamp on the team.

On Thursday, Dorion said Ottawa wouldn't have won its second-round series against the New York Rangers last year without the spark from Neil in the two games he dressed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...-nhl-1.4448012

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I'm not sure about that. Bettman has set the expansion price at $650M US, I would think Melnyk would want close to that. The Greenbergs, Hunts, etc. are rich, but they don't really have professional sports mogul money.
Greenberg family is richer than Melnyk but that is a family vs an individual.

Greenbergs are worth 1.57 Billion while Melnyk is worth about a billion.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/list...enberg-family/

The only reason I think there may be some validity to all this is the redevelopment of Lebreton. This dovetails perfectly with the businesses of Trinity, Minto and Shenkmans (oseg partners). They are the money side of OSEG, Jeff Hunt brings operations to the table

Melnyk likely will benefit greatly from the real estate side of the Lebreton development-directly or indirectly, as an owner or a seller. He's sitting pretty despite what he may say. Even the hockey operations side of the Senators business is profitable. They are taking a hit on supporting the debtload, but the net worth of the team has more than quadrupled in value in the last 15 years. That guy is doing just fine, he may have some cashflow issues, but his "investment" in the senators is quadrupled from 93 million to 420 million.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/ottawa-senators/

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
Greenberg family is richer than Melnyk but that is a family vs an individual.

Greenbergs are worth 1.57 Billion while Melnyk is worth about a billion.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/list...enberg-family/

The only reason I think there may be some validity to all this is the redevelopment of Lebreton. This dovetails perfectly with the businesses of Trinity, Minto and Shenkmans (oseg partners). They are the money side of OSEG, Jeff Hunt brings operations to the table

Melnyk likely will benefit greatly from the real estate side of the Lebreton development-directly or indirectly, as an owner or a seller. He's sitting pretty despite what he may say. Even the hockey operations side of the Senators business is profitable. They are taking a hit on supporting the debtload, but the net worth of the team has more than quadrupled in value in the last 15 years. That guy is doing just fine, he may have some cashflow issues, but his "investment" in the senators is quadrupled from 93 million to 420 million.
But Melnyk purchased the team 12 years ago out of bankruptcy (for $127 million). He could not afford to buy an NHL team now. The Greenbergs would have to sell or mortgage half of their entire net worth (it is all tied up in property, so mortgaging might be an option) to buy a hockey team. Bill Foley's salary was 100M a year.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 1:49 AM

Quote:
But Melnyk purchased the team 12 years ago out of bankruptcy (for $127 million). He could not afford to buy an NHL team now. The Greenbergs would have to sell or mortgage half of their entire net worth (it is all tied up in property, so mortgaging might be an option) to buy a hockey team. Bill Foley's salary was 100M a year.
The Molsons bought the Habs, a far more valuable franchise, and their net worth is estimated at 1.75 billion, not much different from the Greenbergs.

I expect that anyone buying the Sens would be counting on financing part of the sale with development rights for Lebreton.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:35 AM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeofthewood View Post
Got free tickets to the Sens game last night so was pretty excited. 55 minute drive to the game from downtown basically killed any excitement I had. Got excited again cause the game was great, then all my excitement got killed again since it took 35 minutes to get from the parking lot to the highway.

It's amazing the Sens get as many fans as they do given the mess non-Kanata residents have to get through to get to games. I know this isn't news to anyone here, but wanted to have a little rant. That arena NEEDS to be downtown
I live in bridlewood and i assure you that its no fun getting to the CTC and back on game day either.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
The Molsons bought the Habs, a far more valuable franchise, and their net worth is estimated at 1.75 billion, not much different from the Greenbergs.

I expect that anyone buying the Sens would be counting on financing part of the sale with development rights for Lebreton.
Well, the Molson brothers and a consortium (including very deep pocketed partners such as Bell and the Thompson family) bought 80% of the habs (Molson-Coors owned 20% already).

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Well, the Molson brothers and a consortium (including very deep pocketed partners such as Bell and the Thompson family) bought 80% of the habs (Molson-Coors owned 20% already).
Fair point. I'm not sure that I realized that the Thompson family was part of that group. And there are definitely other partners in the adjacent real estate development, like Cadillac Fairview. No doubt a sale of the Sens would include those types of participants, given that it would be a real estate transaction as much as a hockey team sale.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation