HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I think he means that the other partners in OSEG have that kind of money.
I'm not sure about that. Bettman has set the expansion price at $650M US, I would think Melnyk would want close to that. The Greenbergs, Hunts, etc. are rich, but they don't really have professional sports mogul money.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 6:14 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

The Carolina Hurricanes were recently (partially) sold at a reported (but unconfirmed) valuation of about $500M. You'd have to expect the Senators to sell at least for that much.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 6:15 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Senators fan favourite Chris Neil retires from NHL
Gap-toothed enforcer holds franchise record with 2,522 penalty minutes

CBC News Posted: Dec 14, 2017 9:44 AM ET Last Updated: Dec 14, 2017 11:12 AM ET

Longtime Ottawa Senators tough guy Chris Neil announced his NHL retirement at a Thursday morning news conference.

Neil, 38, was drafted by the Sens in 1998, played his first NHL game in 2001 and spent his entire career with the team.

The Markdale, Ont., native said he's spoiled and blessed to have played for the Senators and made Ottawa his home, saying he felt like an underdog his whole career and that he felt like fans appreciated his blue-collar, hard-working attitude.

The gritty forward was a physical presence on the ice for 15 seasons and has a headlock on the team record for penalty minutes with 2,522.

The next-closest Sen? Retired defenceman Chris Phillips with 758.

Only former captain Daniel Alfredsson and Phillips played more games for the Senators than Neil's 1,026. He also chipped in 112 goals and 250 points.

Neil said Thursday his career highlight was the 2007 run to the Stanley Cup Final under coach Bryan Murray, who died earlier this year.

General manager Pierre Dorion called him one of the greatest Senators of all time and definitely the toughest.

It comes after Neil and the team parted ways in June in what Dorion then described as a "mutual decision" over Neil's ice time going forward.

At the time, Dorion described the meeting as difficult but said there were no hard feelings.

He added if Neil decided to retire, the Senators would welcome him back in some role.

"However long he wants to play after that, I think as an organization we should always have the door open for Chris Neil," Dorion said in June.

Neil did not sign with another team this season but reportedly declined a professional tryout with the Montreal Canadiens.

He said Thursday he'll keep working with organizations such as Roger Neilson House for young people in palliative care and will participate in alumni activities around this weekend's NHL 100 Classic outdoor game.

Jokingly, then perhaps a little more seriously, he said he's also interested in a broadcasting career.

Neil played only 53 games last season, averaging seven minutes 34 seconds of ice time as new head coach Guy Boucher put his stamp on the team.

On Thursday, Dorion said Ottawa wouldn't have won its second-round series against the New York Rangers last year without the spark from Neil in the two games he dressed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...-nhl-1.4448012

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I'm not sure about that. Bettman has set the expansion price at $650M US, I would think Melnyk would want close to that. The Greenbergs, Hunts, etc. are rich, but they don't really have professional sports mogul money.
Greenberg family is richer than Melnyk but that is a family vs an individual.

Greenbergs are worth 1.57 Billion while Melnyk is worth about a billion.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/list...enberg-family/

The only reason I think there may be some validity to all this is the redevelopment of Lebreton. This dovetails perfectly with the businesses of Trinity, Minto and Shenkmans (oseg partners). They are the money side of OSEG, Jeff Hunt brings operations to the table

Melnyk likely will benefit greatly from the real estate side of the Lebreton development-directly or indirectly, as an owner or a seller. He's sitting pretty despite what he may say. Even the hockey operations side of the Senators business is profitable. They are taking a hit on supporting the debtload, but the net worth of the team has more than quadrupled in value in the last 15 years. That guy is doing just fine, he may have some cashflow issues, but his "investment" in the senators is quadrupled from 93 million to 420 million.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/ottawa-senators/

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
Greenberg family is richer than Melnyk but that is a family vs an individual.

Greenbergs are worth 1.57 Billion while Melnyk is worth about a billion.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/list...enberg-family/

The only reason I think there may be some validity to all this is the redevelopment of Lebreton. This dovetails perfectly with the businesses of Trinity, Minto and Shenkmans (oseg partners). They are the money side of OSEG, Jeff Hunt brings operations to the table

Melnyk likely will benefit greatly from the real estate side of the Lebreton development-directly or indirectly, as an owner or a seller. He's sitting pretty despite what he may say. Even the hockey operations side of the Senators business is profitable. They are taking a hit on supporting the debtload, but the net worth of the team has more than quadrupled in value in the last 15 years. That guy is doing just fine, he may have some cashflow issues, but his "investment" in the senators is quadrupled from 93 million to 420 million.
But Melnyk purchased the team 12 years ago out of bankruptcy (for $127 million). He could not afford to buy an NHL team now. The Greenbergs would have to sell or mortgage half of their entire net worth (it is all tied up in property, so mortgaging might be an option) to buy a hockey team. Bill Foley's salary was 100M a year.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 1:49 AM

Quote:
But Melnyk purchased the team 12 years ago out of bankruptcy (for $127 million). He could not afford to buy an NHL team now. The Greenbergs would have to sell or mortgage half of their entire net worth (it is all tied up in property, so mortgaging might be an option) to buy a hockey team. Bill Foley's salary was 100M a year.
The Molsons bought the Habs, a far more valuable franchise, and their net worth is estimated at 1.75 billion, not much different from the Greenbergs.

I expect that anyone buying the Sens would be counting on financing part of the sale with development rights for Lebreton.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:35 AM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeofthewood View Post
Got free tickets to the Sens game last night so was pretty excited. 55 minute drive to the game from downtown basically killed any excitement I had. Got excited again cause the game was great, then all my excitement got killed again since it took 35 minutes to get from the parking lot to the highway.

It's amazing the Sens get as many fans as they do given the mess non-Kanata residents have to get through to get to games. I know this isn't news to anyone here, but wanted to have a little rant. That arena NEEDS to be downtown
I live in bridlewood and i assure you that its no fun getting to the CTC and back on game day either.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
The Molsons bought the Habs, a far more valuable franchise, and their net worth is estimated at 1.75 billion, not much different from the Greenbergs.

I expect that anyone buying the Sens would be counting on financing part of the sale with development rights for Lebreton.
Well, the Molson brothers and a consortium (including very deep pocketed partners such as Bell and the Thompson family) bought 80% of the habs (Molson-Coors owned 20% already).

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Well, the Molson brothers and a consortium (including very deep pocketed partners such as Bell and the Thompson family) bought 80% of the habs (Molson-Coors owned 20% already).
Fair point. I'm not sure that I realized that the Thompson family was part of that group. And there are definitely other partners in the adjacent real estate development, like Cadillac Fairview. No doubt a sale of the Sens would include those types of participants, given that it would be a real estate transaction as much as a hockey team sale.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 1:10 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa Senators score big by moving AHL affiliate to Belleville

Bruce Garrioch, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: January 27, 2018 | Last Updated: January 27, 2018 5:57 PM EST

BELLEVILLE — Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Maybe that’s what’s happening in this city of 50,000, located about two hours and 20 minutes southwest of Ottawa down Highway 401, where the Belleville Senators have been welcomed with open arms in their inaugural season in the American Hockey League.

It wasn’t long ago that the rundown Yardmen Arena sat empty and quiet most nights.

The city woke up one day in April 2015 to news that the Ontario Hockey League’s Belleville Bulls had been sold by owner Gord Simmons to Hamilton businessman Michael Andlauer for $9.5 million and were being relocated to the Steel City.

Now, on a recent Wednesday night, as the Belleville Senators prepared to face the Syracuse Crunch in the rebuilt 4,400-seat building, fans were streaming through the doors to take part in what had become a rebirth.

“It’s absolutely fantastic. We’re lucky and we’re blessed because things have worked out really well,” Belleville Mayor Taso Christopher said. “We’ve got a great relationship, a good partnership and communication. At the end of the day, it’s great economic development and a nice feather in our cap for this community.”

High-level high hockey never should have left Belleville in the first place. The Bulls weren’t doing well, or drawing big crowds, when they packed up and left the city, but hockey has a heartbeat here and the patient didn’t appreciate it when the Bulls departed without warning.

People who grew up here and loved this city took it pretty hard.

“The unfortunate part was the way it rolled out,” said Christopher, who tried to push council to sign a long-term lease with the Bulls’ ownership group at the time. “I get elected and (the team is) gone in 60 days on a Sunday night. It was right out of the movies.

“And, I’m (saying) ‘OK, they elected to go west and that’s their right.’

“Well, if you fast forward to the conversation we’re having right now, who actually won on that deal?”

Ottawa Senators associate coach Marc Crawford, who is from Belleville hockey’s first family, had a sour taste in his mouth when the Bulls left town. He had been part of a large group of investors that tried to purchase the OHL franchise before it was sold to Andlauer.

“We definitely had a group that was ready to buy it,” Crawford said. “They just got a really good price for it, and that’s all they should have said was, ‘Hey we got a really good price for it and we’re selling the team,’ instead of saying, ‘There’s no hockey hope here.’

“I know a lot of the insides of what was going on in my hometown,” he said. “I knew there was tons of support for hockey. I also knew, if you promoted it, that you’d be able to do something well.”

The Ottawa Senators had to be convinced that going to Belleville was the right move, though.

After spending 15 years with their AHL affiliate in Binghamton, N.Y., the Sens weren’t looking for a new home when Belleville officials reached out to Ottawa assistant general manager Randy Lee to see if the NHL club had any interest.

Not only were the Senators comfortable with the arrangement in Binghamton, there wasn’t an appetite for owning their AHL team, too.

Determined to make things work, Christopher and his staff essentially offered the Senators a deal they couldn’t refuse to get Ottawa to move its affiliation to Belleville.

The city had already decided it would spend money to upgrade the Yardmen, but it didn’t want to do so without lining up a major tenant. Bulls owners had wanted a new arena, which meant spending $50 million to $60 million, and the city wasn’t willing to do that.

When the Senators were deemed to have serious interest in the Yardmen, the city agreed to spend $20 million upgrading the building, including new seating and a North American-sized ice surface. Previously it had been Olympic-sized.

Today, the team essentially has a new arena. It’s just in the same place.

“We’re blessed,” Christopher said. “We took a job that would have taken 12 to 14 months and we did it in nine. We’ve got amenities that are world class. We’re even looking at putting in some additional seating to take it to 5,100.”

It ultimately made sense for the Senators to sign their eight-year lease. The team’s prospects are now less than 2 1/2 hours away by car and no longer need to cross the Canada-U.S. border to get to Ottawa.

The Montreal Canadiens have moved their AHL affiliate to nearby Laval, Que.; the Toronto Marlies are in the same city as the Maple Leafs; and the Crunch (Tampa Bay Lightning affiliate) are also close.

Lee wanted to make sure Binghamton was protected and was successful in getting that city an AHL affiliation agreement with the New Jersey Devils.

“We thought it was a good opportunity and we knew were leaving a great opportunity in Binghamton,” Lee said. “We knew this had special characteristics with the proximity, being in a Canadian market, and we knew it was going to resonate more with our fan base and their fan base.

“To be honest, it’s exceeded our expectations. The fans have embraced it and you have to give credit to the people there for managing it under difficult circumstances.”

The Senators have averaged 3,600 spectators a game. That’s strong by AHL standards, and the club has 2,400 season-ticket holders. The population of the city of Belleville is only 50,000, but the Quinte Region has 200,000 residents and the club is trying to draw from the entire area.

“The market has responded great, and that’s been one of the easy parts,” said Rob Mullowney, the AHL club’s chief operating officer. “Hockey matters here.

“We’re new, and now we’ve got to sustain the success. As long as we keep drawing fans from within a 45-minute radius on either side (of the city) we’re in good shape. If that changes, and we have to rely on a community the size of Belleville with 50,000 people, that would be a challenge. They’ve been very supportive, but it’s 50,000 people.

“Based on what we’ve seen right now, we think the path ahead is pretty good.”

Crawford, who is the point-person on the NHL Senators coaching staff in staying in touch with Belleville head coach Kurt Kleinendorst, can’t say enough good things about the work Mullowney, who came from the AHL’s St. John’s Ice Caps, has done with his staff.

“The organization has done a great job of promoting the team. The previous regimes that owned the Bulls would just open the doors and say, ‘Here’s the team,’ and they got great support, they really did,” Crawford said. “Now they’ve made it an event.

“They really do a terrific job and they’ve done a great job with the building. It’s just a fun atmosphere. The one thing I love about going to Belleville is you see real Canadiana there. You see a father coming in with his two kids. You see families coming in, and that’s not always the case at the NHL.

“It happens, but (in Belleville) you see it all the time. It’s a real family event. The price point is good, the entertainment value is good and it’s been really well received.”

Lee loves the fact the plan has come together.

“We wanted to make sure the fans were going to support it because Binghamton was a very strong market and we wanted to make sure the facilities were an upgrade,” Lee said.

“We used to sneak into Belleville, and, when I saw the passion of Taso Christopher and (director of community events) Mark Fluhrer, they were so committed, they grabbed me and I felt ‘These guys are in as far as you can be to make it success.’

“We knew the fan base was starving for hockey and we knew it made so much sense for us.”

It seems the Senators have found themselves a natural fit.

bgarrioch@postmedia.com
Twitter.com/sungarrioch

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hock...e-e5d26d133bd8

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 4:38 AM

I'm impressed they didn't just pack up and leave Binghamton in the dust. They actually worked with another NHL team (New Jersey Devils) to ensure they would continue to enjoy having pro hockey (Albany Devils moved to Bingo, Albany having the lowest AHL attendance).

In a world where sports teams continuously move around to greener pastures with zero consideration for the city left behind, it's refreshing to hear a big league team working to ensure fans are not punished by a business decision.

Obviously, this isn't always possible.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Scanlan: A five-point plan for the Senators to get out of Dysfunction Junction

Wayne Scanlan
February 12, 2018

The Senators need to do something bold to win back their infuriated fan base.

Something profoundly local in nature.

For starters: get down on bended knee and beg Cyril Leeder to come back as president and chief executive of the franchise, promising to let him do his job. Under the right circumstances, I believe Leeder, a Senators co-founder, tireless worker and immensely popular figure in the community, would return if owner Eugene Melnyk granted him the parameters to do his job.

On Monday, Melnyk met with his Ottawa staff and discussed how they would proceed, now that Tom Anselmi has left his position as president and chief executive officer, little more than a year after replacing Leeder, who was fired, ostensibly because the Senators weren’t drawing enough fans.

Attendance was down further this year under Anselmi, who wasn’t here long enough to register a pulse.

He left knowing this much: The fan base is beyond sour, reluctant to get on board regardless of the record in the standings, which happens to have deteriorated after the hockey club returned from two games in Sweden in November.

Not even an unexpected playoff run last spring, to within one goal of reaching the Stanley Cup final, could fully engage fans. The results were there. Captain Erik Karlsson was playing as if touched by gold dust.

And yet, it was as though a piece of the franchise’s soul was missing. The rink was not always full, and the community was not all in, despite miraculous 2017 playoff overtime victories against Original Six stalwarts like the Boston Bruins and New York Rangers.

The team was winning, but conversations turned to an increase in parking rates — always a hot-button issue at the suburban, car-dependent Canadian Tire Centre. Fans felt they were being gouged.

Not even cheap ticket prices (check out the game-night bargains online) and a black tarp over 1,500 upper level seats to give the sense of a fuller rink could do the trick this season. Fans wondered why community favourites like Daniel Alfredsson and Kyle Turris were gone from the scene.

Late Friday afternoon, the time for burying bad news, the Senators announced Anselmi was leaving and threw in the diversion of a three-year extension for general manager Pierre Dorion, who has had a horrific season, partly of his own doing, partly through franchise circumstances and bad luck.

Anselmi, who came here from huge assignments with the Toronto Maple Leafs and Vancouver Canucks, was brought in by Melnyk to help guide the organization through the LeBreton Flats negotiations and building phases over the next number of years as the team prepares to shift to a downtown location.

That Anselmi wanted out after a year is the latest in a pattern of scorched earth where Melnyk and his top managers are concerned. Anselmi and Leeder are merely the two biggest names in a list that includes managers Peter O’Leary, Erin Crowe, Jim Steel, Wendy Kelley, Stephen Brooks, Ken Taylor, Sandi Horner and more.

It’s Melnyk’s call. He’s the businessman, but he no longer has any senior staff to lean on, and displays a persistent failure to understand Ottawa’s unique market place. Here are five suggestions for working out of this mess.

One, hire local: Crowe, who was a fine chief financial officer and alternate governor (on the NHL board of governors) is already back on a contract basis doing corporate and personal work for Melnyk. She must have a heart of gold. Announcing Leeder’s return as president and CEO, if Melnyk could swing it, would be the PR coup of the year, a rare but vital admission by Melnyk that he made a mistake. Fans would embrace this.

Two, slash parking prices: I am not the first to suggest this small but meaningful gesture. The Senators are in sell mode, and won’t make the playoffs. Give fans a break at the parking lots.

Three, meet with fans: In the nearly 15 years Melnyk has owned the club, he has not had a strong presence here. Hold a town-hall meeting with fans. Hold several. Let them vent. Listen to their concerns. And act on them.

Four, make all announcements through Ottawa media channels: Stop hiring Toronto PR firms. Stop breaking news or making major updates about the team on Toronto broadcast outlets. Think Ottawa first. Always.

Five, fully invest in the team: The Anselmi/Dorion announcement contained a quote about a renewed commitment to “scouting, drafting and development” (translation: they’re sellers at the trade deadline). This organization is thin top to bottom: in management, scouting and on the roster itself. Reinforce depth in all areas. Short-term pain, long-term gain. Fans here are smart. They will recognize committed ownership. On that same front, get another investor, even if it is a minority position. Share the wealth, give the ownership profile a different look and take the focus away from Melnyk’s singularly unpopular direction. There are ways for a newly established front office and management team to earn back the trust of fans. Failing that, it begins to look as though the only option will be to sell the club outright for a considerable profit. The value of NHL franchises has risen exponentially since Melnyk bought the team and building in 2003.
http://ottawasun.com/news/local-news...3-bf7188f4fac4

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 5:40 PM

I just don't see how Melnyk can hold onto this team. He is doing nothing to appeal to the local fan base. Attendance for the rest of the year is going to drop off the map. Season ticket renewals are going to drop off the map.

I really believe he won't last the year as owner.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 9:04 PM

I won't lie, I've been a massive Sens fan for 20 years(I've lived in Ottawa for 21 years and grew up here), but this season is probably the most disconnected I've felt with the team, mainly because of how dysfunctional it is.

We honestly feel like the Coyotes of the North and I haven't seen ownership and management this dysfunctional since Charles Wang owned the Isles or the Koules/Barrie ownership tandem in Tampa.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 1:55 PM

Particularly as they're going into a rebuild phase, I think they need more hockey people in the front office. They have a tendency to put Chamber of Commerce guys or sports generalists into executive roles.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 2:25 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

And the first piece falls...

Phaneuf gone to LA in a clear case of salary dumping.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
And the first piece falls...

Phaneuf gone to LA in a clear case of salary dumping.
Also pylon dumping.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Also pylon dumping.
I think he's still a decent player at maybe around $2/$2.5 million, not $7+ million.

Gaborik, on the other hand, is nothing more than an expensive bench warmer at this point in his career. This was a move made purely to save Melnyk $5 million dollars.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars View Post
I think he's still a decent player at maybe around $2/$2.5 million, not $7+ million.

Gaborik, on the other hand, is nothing more than an expensive bench warmer at this point in his career. This was a move made purely to save Melnyk $5 million dollars.
On a good team he would be third pairing or hanging out in the press box.

Gaborik's contract is structured in a way that can be bought out. Phaneuf's is not (like all Nonis contracts it is full of bonus money).

Does anyone think Phaneuf will still be making a contribution in the later years of his contract?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
On a good team he would be third pairing or hanging out in the press box.

Gaborik's contract is structured in a way that can be bought out. Phaneuf's is not (like all Nonis contracts it is full of bonus money).

Does anyone think Phaneuf will still be making a contribution in the later years of his contract?
Oh I totally agree, getting rid of that contract was needed for the team to move forward(also need to get rid of Burrows and Ryan).

I just think that, right now, Phaneuf is more of a player than Gaborik is. Hopefully we do buy Gaborik out or, even better, unload him at the deadline with less salary coming back. I have very little faith in Gaborik actually making a contribution to this team.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation