HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 7:45 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateAce View Post
I think it's important for outsiders to know how similar they are. I find many people that are blown away by how underrated Philadelphia is, when it really shouldn't be at all. It's one of the finest cities on the continent like you said.

I do agree with that poster that suggested Boston's PR team just does a better job of marketing than Philadelphia's. It's also moreso in Boston's DNA to boast itself, while Philadelphia does not.
It's absolutely underrated from the West Coast's perspective. I know people that have been to the big 4 cities on the East Coast (NYC, Boston, DC, Philadelphia) and Philadelphia is routinely ranked last. Either people don't have any desire to visit or they just liked the other cities more. It's not as quaint as Boston. It doesn't have the free museums and national monuments of DC. And people would rather visit NYC multiple times than go to Philadelphia once. Society Hill gets blank looks here, but everyone knows of Beacon Hill. It's like Philadelphia is more of the same as the other East Coast cities... but less, if that makes sense. If it really is similar like you said, what makes it unique? If you were to sell Philadelphia, what would you say? Fortunately, us West Coasters are always looking for the newest thing to Instagram, so maybe Philadelphia will be an up and coming travel destination once people get tired of the usual spots.

Also, my mistake about the Garden. I thought the original still existed. That being said, from a sports fan perspective, Boston is more of a basketball and baseball mecca than Philadelphia. If I go to Boston, I'm checking out Fenway. Same with NYC and Yankee Stadium and Chicago and Wrigley. Not saying I'd travel there just for the stadiums, but they would definitely make it on my itinerary. If I go to Philadelphia, I'm probably not adding Citizens Bank Park to my itinerary.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 1:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Boston Garden was built in 1928, closed in 1995 and was demolished in 1998.

TD Garden was built in 1995 and is the current arena. Honestly, Staples Center is probably more renowned and historic than TD Garden.
I don't think Homebucket was referring to TD Garden, but most likely Boston Public Garden (est. 1837), which is often confused with the Boston Common (est. 1634). The Common is the oldest public park in America and lies adjacent to the Boston Public Garden.

http://xvbeacon.com/boston-blooming-spring-luxury/

E--Never mind I just saw this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Also, my mistake about the Garden. I thought the original still existed. That being said, from a sports fan perspective, Boston is more of a basketball and baseball mecca than Philadelphia.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Fenway isn't anything special. It's novelty is because it's the last of two old stadiums left. It's mainly housed losing Red Sox teams for decades up until recently. Fenway nor Wrigley are the old Yankee Stadium, and that was replaced. I think people confuse these two stadiums for something special, when IMO, they're really not. Wrigley at least has been renovated. Fenway will have it's time at some point. But people talk about them like they're the Coliseum in Rome or something.

Hey Upstate. Maybe take a breather and sit out the rest of this one?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 4:50 AM

Quote:
They mentioned "the Garden" in their post as a reason for visiting. Which is why I am questioning the same thing. Boston Garden has been gone for nearly twenty years.

TD Garden is just another cookie cutter arena, so I find it hard to believe people are traveling cross country to go there.
It's about as historic as the Bradley Center or whatever they're calling it these days.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions