HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 8:49 PM

Here are a few Place Bell, aka 160 Elgin, renderings. I didn't see a thread for this but if there is one let me know.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 3:46 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Province provides $8.95M to finish francophone centre project at old Grant School

Jacquie Miller, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: December 15, 2017 | Last Updated: December 15, 2017 5:57 PM EST

The province has come to the rescue of a problem-plagued project to turn an old school in Ottawa’s west end into a francophone community service centre, promising $8.95 million in funding.

That’s enough to finish construction at the former Grant School. The heritage building on Richmond Road has become a target for both vandals and irate neighbours upset that the school still sits empty seven years after it was turned over to the non-profit group Centre Multiservices Francophone de l’Ouest d’Ottawa (CMFO).

The French-language public school board is now also a partner in the “community hub” project. Plans call for a French high school for adults, a new gym and a daycare. Other services are being determined, but could include health care run by the Montfort Hospital, classrooms for the French-language college La Cité, space for the anti-poverty group Cooperative Ami Jeunesse, employment and training programs, legal and immigration services, cultural and social activities and summer camps for kids, said CMFO spokesperson Ronald Bisson.

“I’m very, very happy, very thrilled. It’s an important day for Ottawa west. A new institution is born. It will be on a solid financial basis, and I know that over the years it will be a home for thousands of people who will use these services.” Construction on the project had been halted after the CMFO ran out of money.

The infusion of cash announced Friday brings the total amount spent by the province and the city on the project to $15.146 million.

There’s still one hitch, though: the city must agree to allow the transfer of Grant School to the French school board for $1.

That’s because the city originally bought the surplus Grant School for $1.94 million to be developed by CMFO. Under the new scheme, the school board will own the building instead and the community groups will be tenants.

The president of the French-language school board, Linda Savard, said city approval is a “rubber stamp.” The city has no reason to oppose the project, she said.

“Now that we have secured the money, now that (the school board) is involved and everything seems to be going forward, the project is a go. I don’t foresee any problem with the municipality.”

Architectural plans have been done and building permits are in place, Savard said. She said construction inside the school and demolition of the old annex attached to it could begin in the next few weeks. The school board is negotiating with the city to buy the rear portion of the site at market value in order to construct a gym there, Savard said. She said she hopes the francophone centre will be up and running by the fall of 2018.

Coun. Mark Taylor said the project will go to the city’s finance and economic development committee, and then to council for approval.

Making the school board the landlord instead of the non-profit group is an “administrative tweak,” he said. “The project) still fulfils all of council’s original intent. Council wanted this space to become a francophone community hub operated for the benefit of the larger community, and that’s still what will happen.”

Bisson said he recognizes that some neighbours of Grant School are upset with the delays or opposed the project. But he’s confident they will be more supportive once the centre is built. “It’s not a 20-storey high-rise, it’s not a noisy thing. I think neighbours will be very pleased.

“At the end of the day, we still have to be neighbours, and that’s my approach, How can we still be neighbours with different opinions?”

Neighbour Graham Patterson said he was open-minded about the project at first, but as the years passed he concluded it’s a fiasco that should be abandoned.

A provincial election is coming in the spring, and the funding announcement is “crass opportunism by politicians,” said Patterson. “This is another waste of money, an attempt by (Premier) Kathleen Wynne to reach out and corral a couple of extra votes.”

Roland Reebs, who lives in a house on a street near the school and owns another on the same street, said Grant School should be handed back to the city and sold.

CMFO has displayed “goodwill but extreme ineptitude,” he said. The group failed to submit business plans on time, changed plans about what services would be provided (plans for a long-term care home and co-op housing were dropped), failed to raise $2 million from private donations as initially promised, and oversaw a project plagued with delays and rising costs, he said.

“They just stumbled along,” but it doesn’t seem to matter, said Reebs. “Lo and behold, it all works out” — courtesy of more money from taxpayers, he said.

The provincial money should be spent on more pressing issues, such as crumbling infrastructure, the poverty that drives an increasing number of people to food banks or development of alternative energy, he said.

“I think this is a project for more affluent times.”

jmiller@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JacquieAMiller

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...d-grant-school

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Here are a few Place Bell, aka 160 Elgin, renderings. I didn't see a thread for this but if there is one let me know.
How long ago was the last re-jigging?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 11:55 PM

Do we have a thread for this one, 440 Bronson?

http://www.westsideaction.com/intens...-by-the-rules/

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 6:04 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

No, I don't think we do. I can't find any formal application yet, and no info other than what Eric Darwin has just posted:

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post

Anyone know what restaurants are going into the retail bays at the corner of Elgin and Nepean and Elgin and Glocester?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 7:23 AM

Walked by today and you can get the effect now - it's striking from across Elgin

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 6:00 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Fotenn’s Ottawa planning gurus map path to success
For a quarter-century, company founders Ted Fobert and Robert Tennant have played a key role in shaping the development projects that now define Ottawa

By: Caroline Phillips, OBJ
Published: Jan 9, 2018 3:27pm EST

They say timing is everything. Assuming that old adage were true, the best thing to have done during the economic storm of the early 1990s was to just sit tight and wait it out.

Or not. Ted Fobert chose then to leave his comfy management-level position with the City of Ottawa. Likewise, friend and fellow urban planner Robert Tennant was doing well working for the private sector when he also made his planned exit.

Together, they started an urban planning consultancy firm called FoTenn, renting office space out of a small building that has since been replaced by a Shoppers Drug Mart at the corner of Bank and Sunnyside.

“Our first couple of years in the business were pretty tough,” acknowledges Fobert, 65, while speaking alongside Tennant, 68, in the boardroom of Fotenn Planning + Design. “We had pretty limited opportunities. The governments weren’t spending money. The private sector was quiet. The city didn’t really bounce back until ’94 or ’95.”

He wasn’t yet regretting his career move but “I think my wife was,” he jokes (kind of).

From those humble beginnings in early 1992, FoTenn has grown to become the top firm of its kind in the region and one of the largest in the province. Its award-winning expertise includes site planning, land usage, policy development, urban design and landscape architecture.

Today, the company has a staff of more than 30 people and is involved in almost every new development that shapes our city, from the transformation of Richmond Road and Lansdowne Park to the expansion of Barrhaven South and the planned redevelopment of LeBreton Flats.

For developers, FoTenn is the go-to firm for steering complex urban projects through the city’s approval process and Ontario Municipal Board hearings.

“When we started, we had no idea what size we might be,” says Tennant while recalling how the company managed to organically grow and diversify as more and more clients hired it and new business ideas and opportunities proved successful. “I’m quite proud of what we were able to do.”

On the public sector side, FoTenn’s work includes its extensive community planning for the Inuit and First Nations living in the Northwest Territories, Nunavut and northern Quebec.

FoTenn has also expanded geographically, with offices in Kingston and Toronto. In 2000, it bought and moved into its 223 McLeod St. building, which is full of beautiful artwork belonging to Tennant and Fobert (Tennant is an avid art collector).

The company founders were recently fêted at a large reception attended by the likes of Mayor Jim Watson, Coun. Jan Harder, chair of the city’s planning committee, and Russ Mills, former chair of the National Capital Commission.

Fobert and Tennant are in the process of retiring from FoTenn and passing the business along to its directors, Brian Casagrande, Michael Stott, Miguel Tremblay and Margo Watson.

They’re not riding off into the sunset, though. The two are also partners in another venture, a tour boat business in the Thousand Islands called Rockport Cruises.

FoTenn’s greatest accomplishment remains its biggest challenge: helping cities move forward by getting projects approved in the face of community resistance.

Large supermarkets and taller buildings can create mobs of angry neighbours, leading to wild accusations, name-calling and even – on one occasion – the slashing of car tires.

“Planners are change agents,” Fobert says. “That’s our primary role. We accept a vision that has been stated by a municipality, that becomes in the public interest. It’s not the 20 to 30 people complaining at public meetings who are in the public interest.”

The intensification of Westboro’s Richmond Road “is a really good example of the evolution of a street that resulted in a battle against almost every particular development along there,” he adds.

“People don’t remember how depressed Richmond Road was. There were no highrises, no life on the street. I can remember meetings where people would say, ‘Where am I going to park if you put all this development on Richmond Road?’ Well, guess what – that’s a healthy sign if you’re looking for parking.

“Looking back on the projects, you realize they were, in fact, good projects, and that they’ve strengthened the community, not deteriorated the community,” says Fobert. “In retrospect, it’s good development, it makes sense, it’s supporting our infrastructure, it’s supporting the Transitway, it’s doing all the things that it was intended to do.

“You have to have a conviction that what you’re doing is in the public interest. The public doesn’t see the developments that we’ve turned away, that we didn’t feel were in the public interest.”

Years ago, for example, FoTenn was hired to handle a rezoning application for a proposed bingo hall and Chinese grocery store in Westboro.

“We thought we’d hit pay dirt,” recalls Tennant. “But we looked at each other after having researched it and decided this wasn’t good for the community. We went to the client and said, ‘We don’t think you should do this.’ The client looked at us and said, ‘Thank you very much.’

“The next day the client called to say, ‘I appreciate your honesty. I have three other properties I’d like you to work on.’ Indeed, it was an early lesson on helping people do better things.”

That Westboro property, by the way, is now home to Mountain Equipment Co-op, arguably the best-ever addition to the ’hood.

Five things to know about Robert Tennant and Ted Fobert
  • Tennant traces his love of urban planning and design back to a childhood spent visiting European cities. His dad had a senior position with Air Canada that allowed the family to travel extensively. His post-secondary education includes a master’s degree in city planning from the University of Toronto.
  • Fobert credits his interest in urban planning to a high school geography teacher in the Toronto suburb of Thornhill. The teacher loved talking about cities. “I didn’t really understand anything about urban planning or know that there was such a profession, but when I got to university and saw there was a program, that’s what I was drawn to.”
  • Both men belong to the highly regarded Royal Ottawa Golf Club, and Tennant is even a former club president and club champion. He comes from a long line of distinguished golfers and is an invited member of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews, one of the oldest and most prestigious golf clubs in the world.
  • If you’ve ever belonged to the Y, you may recognize Fobert from his years of teaching a popular fitness class there. He was also on the board of directors for the YMCA-YWCA National Capital Region.
  • Tennant’s community involvement has included the Writers’ Trust of Canada, Citizen Advocacy of Ottawa and being on the boards of the National Capital Commission and the National Arts Centre’s new building committee.

http://www.obj.ca/article/fotenns-ot...p-path-success

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 6:32 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Does anybody know what project this is, located on the south side of West Hunt Club, next to Baton Rouge and Mandarin? It's been under construction for what seems like years.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.33994...2!8i6656?hl=en

It looks like a hotel or retirement residence, but I don't recall it ever being discussed on this forum.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Does anybody know what project this is, located on the south side of West Hunt Club, next to Baton Rouge and Mandarin? It's been under construction for what seems like years.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.33994...2!8i6656?hl=en

It looks like a hotel or retirement residence, but I don't recall it ever being discussed on this forum.
I believe it is going to be a Sandman Hotel and a Chop Steakhouse.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 8:52 PM

Seems to have been a lot of tree removal sometime in the past couple of months either on or near Beechwood Cemetery lands, near the park where there is that little "shortcut" from the Richelieu-Vanier Community Centre towards St-Laurent.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 12:27 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
I believe it is going to be a Sandman Hotel and a Chop Steakhouse.
You are absolutely right. I just found confirmation here:

https://uniformdevelopments.com/comm...-developments/

I also didn't know that Uniform Developments had commercial holdings as well as being a home builder.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 1:16 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:

I also didn't know that Uniform Developments had commercial holdings as well as being a home builder.
Here is some of the history
https://uniformdevelopments.com/cele...iform-history/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 1:53 AM

Quote:
You are absolutely right. I just found confirmation here:

https://uniformdevelopments.com/comm...-developments/

That image reminded me too much of what Trinity's development website looks like so I just went over there and noticed that image is there too.

Trinity Website

Maybe Trinity developed it and Uniform leases the space or bought it.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 2:57 AM

Quote:
That image reminded me too much of what Trinity's development website looks like so I just went over there and noticed that image is there too.

Trinity Website

It's funny that hotel should come up, I went by there a while back and wondered what was taking so long. I believe most of the building is wood as well, hotels of that size I've seen are often prefab concrete and go up in 12-16 months.

That retail space is odd. I worked for a snow removal contractor that had contracts there, and it's divided up into separate chunks. We cleared the Lowes parking lot, as well as the Panera and other shops out front, but under separate contracts. The contract for the Panera and other shops was with RioCan. Meanwhile, the east end of the property was a different contractor, which is unusual.

Here's the RioCan page:
http://riocan.com/leasing-portfolio/...unt-club-lowes

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:28 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
I'm thinking maybe they bought it, since they (Uniform) also list 145, 149, 151 Bentley Avenue as Warehouse + Industrial holdings, which is the adjoining property to the south. Maybe they picked up the whole thing as a single parcel?

https://uniformdevelopments.com/comm...e-residential/

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:49 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

This one just got posted, so I created a new thread for it over here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=231729

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa