HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:46 AM

The Amazon circus is quite hilarious. First of all, I fully expected them to make an announcement cutting it down though I thought it would be top 10 or 15 - whatever. This really would make a great reality show.

One of my favorite parts about all this is people claiming to have insider info. This one guy on Curbed's Facebook page today claimed that he had inside info saying that Amazon only put Chicago on the list so Rahm wouldn't annoy them with questions and that traffic, weather, and the airport are reasons why they won't come.

LOL - burst out laughing at that. It's like --- okay, so they put a city on the list for a really coveted economic prize (maybe) and blocked another city that they may have thought was better - just so a mayor doesn't call them and ask questions? hahaha and then on top of it, they'll probably spend tens of thousands of dollars in the coming months on trips to Chicago with their delegation for meetings, tours, etc etc when they weren't considering it? Just so the mayor wouldn't ask them a few questions?

On top of it, a lot of the cities on the list have the same issues for why the guy said "NOPE!" - traffic? See NYC, Boston, DC, Los Angeles, Austin, Dallas, Atlanta, etc. Weather? Toronto has worse winters than Chicago and they're on the list. Boston arguably has worse because of more snow and the temperatures aren't that much warmer. NYC, Philadelphia, Indianapolis, Columbus, etc are all barely warmer in the winter and basically similar temps the rest of the year. Airport? Atlanta always has delays too, Newark is terrible and LGA can be terrible too. Miami has a bit of delays - etc.

Biggest load of self important "I know things!" I've heard in awhile. Quite hilarious. Not saying that Chicago *will* get it but that was a funny read.

Anyway, here are some cities that didn't make the cut: Detroit, Baltimore, Houston, San Diego, Phoenix, anywhere in the Bay area, anywhere in Washington State, Birmingham, Charlotte, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:14 PM

People say what they want to say, especially online. If you hopped over to the City Discussion forum, you'd see posters like Sun Belt saying they'll be in Dallas, Houston, or Austin because weather. This is starting to feel like next level trolling by Amazon. I doubt it'll have long term effects on growth, but there are sure to be a lot of snake-bitten people if and when Amazon decides on a location for HQ2 that is not their city of choice. Lets hope it's not us

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Rauner STFU
If we don't talk about the high taxes here, maybe no one will realize!

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:05 PM
Professional Midwesterner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Rauner STFU
rauner is probably right.

his timing is really stupid, but chicago will probably lose out on HQ2, and the biggest nail in the coffin will be our state's grossly mismanaged and fiscally insolvent government.

illinois government is exhibit A of what happens when you let the inmates run an asylum for decades.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
rauner is probably right.

his timing is really stupid, but chicago will probably lose out on HQ2, and the biggest nail in the coffin will be our state's grossly mismanaged and fiscally insolvent government.

illinois government is exhibit A of what happens when you let the inmates run an asylum for decades.
He's mostly right here. IL's finances are trash, but so are like half of all states. Pensions kill us. Obviously those costs will compound faster than most other kinds of liabilities, but I think a lot of people with an understanding of the issue realize the pensions will not be paid out as promised. It's literally mathematically impossible.

That said, I don't think that'll have a major impact on Amazon's decision. They are a massive corporation with the resources to avoid paying any taxes at all. They are above the issue. It's those without means who are SOL.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:47 PM
1st Ward

Chicago's surprising strengths in the Amazon HQ2 race

Quote:
Amazon didn't rank the finalists, but the most significant HQ2 competitors seem to be Washington, Boston, Dallas, Atlanta and perhaps Toronto. To stay in the game and win, Chicago has to play to its strengths, which are the combination of size, affordability and infrastructure. Mayor Rahm Emanuel knows this, summing up his pitch for Chicago as the place with the best “access to talent, transportation, higher education, affordability and quality of life.” Emanuel and others are betting that as technology has come to dominate the economy, the industry giants can no longer find enough talent at affordable prices in San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Seattle, Austin or Boston, and they have no choice but to look elsewhere.

One of Chicago's best selling points may well be a deep bench of versatile corporate talent along with a big pool of tech workers. With its roots in consulting, financial services, risk management, law, accounting, advertising and even retailing, Chicago has a lot to offer a company planning for its next phase of global growth.

“It's assumed, because it's Amazon, the jobs will be highly technical," said Mark Muro, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington. “If you look at what Amazon is, there are a lot of business managers and people in project management. Those are things Chicago is good at that will be highly relevant, and it has good enough tech. If you read (Amazon's proposal), it doesn't look like this is about artificial intelligence."

Although a handful of western cities made Amazon's short list, “I think ultimately this will go east of the Mississippi to give Amazon a new center of gravity for recruiting,” says John Boyd Jr., a principal with Boyd Group, a relocation consulting firm based in Princeton, N.J., who isn't working on the project.

Chicago has the fifth-largest pool of tech workers in North America at 143,190, according to research by real estate firm CBRE, which tracks tech markets. New York is the biggest, at 246,180, followed closely by Washington (243,360) and Toronto (212,500). Chicago is sandwiched between Dallas (161,150) and Atlanta (138,810). Boston isn't far behind at 115,560.

In terms of growth, however, Chicago is in the middle of the pack, with its tech labor pool growing 33 percent between 2011 and 2015, about the same as New York, Dallas and Toronto, according to CBRE. Atlanta grew at a whopping 47 percent, while Washington increased just 10 percent.

Chicago ranks fourth in technical degrees awarded, behind New York, Washington and Los Angeles.

Although Amazon's list includes small cities with fast-growing tech populations that are popular with millennials—such as Nashville, Tenn., and Columbus, Ohio—“at the end of the day, they're going to pick a bigger city,” said Mark Zandi, chief economist with Moody's Analytics. “I think it's going to be East Coast. The D.C. region is definitely in the lead. Outside of D.C., I think it would be Atlanta.”

Although big tech companies tend to have deep pockets, costs also will be important to Amazon, says Mark Sweeney, a principal at relocation consultant McCallum Sweeney in Greenville, S.C. “Chicago, like Atlanta and Dallas, can be more competitive on cost of labor and housing,” he said. Chicago has one of the lowest costs of housing among the 20 finalists, based on data from Trulia.com.
Source: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic..._source=NEWS08

A refreshingly positive article from Crain's, for once.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:27 PM

Article is good. Title is ???

In what sense are Chicago's most widely recognized strengths surprising? I'm kind of over Crain's TBH. Wish someone had the time and ambition to dethrone them as the go-to Chicago business magazine.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:52 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Article is good. Title is ???

In what sense are Chicago's most widely recognized strengths surprising? I'm kind of over Crain's TBH. Wish someone had the time and ambition to dethrone them as the go-to Chicago business magazine.
I thought so too. “Surprising” strengths? Inferiority complex, anyone?

Too many old timers at Crains. They need some fresh voices
Gentrification is the work of God. If you have a problem with that, well then—sorry. But you will fail trying to fight it. Gentrification will win. Development will win. But that doesn’t make you a loser. Your job is to colonize new areas, and open them up to future gentrification!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest